Thermacell worth taking

Justin D.

AH senior member
Joined
Oct 24, 2024
Messages
56
Reaction score
125
Location
Tennessee
Media
1
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Hunted
South Africa, United States (WI, ND, AR, TX, LA, MS, FL, SC, NC, VA, MD, DE, RI, MA, CA, WA, AK)
Ok, first time hunting Africa here shortly (RSA in August). I know bugs can be an issue. I've already soaked all of our clothes in permethrin but was also wondering if a thermacell would be worth taking as well? We'll be doing waterfowl and typical plains game while we're there. If it's not going to work, I'll just leave it at the house. If it works, I'll just attach it to my belt while hunting. 20 years in the military, so I've got zero issues walking with stuff attached to me.
 
It’d be a question for your outfitter. Bugs are typically not an issue but it depends where you are. Keep in mind, the butane canisters for a thermacell are technically not allowed on plane.
 
I use it when I'm hunting from a deer stand. Not sure Thermacell works when you are on the move. I don't know if Aug is warm enough for bugs. Have you asked your PH?
 
Use them in Alaska. Mosquitoes really weren’t a bother except within 100meters of the river where I was in Zim, but not in camp (I believe they spray). In Namibia and SA never swatted a mosquito anywhere, neither in camp or in the bush. Every area is different, some places are sure to be worse than others.

I’d ask the outfitter for advice on this.
 
It depends on the area but I'd guess it'd be one of those items left behind on a second trip to RSA. August should be cool for bugs.
 
Thermowell won’t work walking. Needs to be stationary. That said, never ever needed one in Africa. Works great in East Texas early season bow hunts though!
 
Thermowell won’t work walking. Needs to be stationary. That said, never ever needed one in Africa. Works great in East Texas early season bow hunts though!
Works pretty good when you are a few feet behind the PH wearing it! Uganda is only country I’ve ever used and was very grateful they had. I’ve done several early season hunts and hippo/croc hunts in different countries including South Africa, I’ve just never seen a need for a thermacell other than my Uganda hunt. I often don’t see need for bug spray either.
 
Ask your outfitter what they think, but I wouldn't haul it along.
 
Ask your outfitter but it’s most likely not needed in my experience
 
Ticks are the only bugs I fret about in South Africa. I use Ben’s spray and it is good for everything I think. I have found the less I actually carry the happier I am in the field there.
 
If South Africa your bigger problem will be ticks not mosquitoes. In August in RSA, I would be surprised if you saw a mosquito during the whole trip. I can't imagine stalking with a thermacell under any conditions anywhere. Though, it might beat burning dung in the back of the land cruiser in tsetse fly country.
 
I can't see bugs being a problem in SA in August. Been a dozen times and only time there was any bugs at all was in northern Limpopo in mid October when it was getting pretty warm and the flys were a bit of a neusance.
 
Ticks are the only bugs I fret about in South Africa. I use Ben’s spray and it is good for everything I think. I have found the less I actually carry the happier I am in the field there.
It’s good for ticks but make sure your down wing of the truck… it strips clear coat and melts plastic. I like to pretreat all cloths with permethrin before I go
 
Only needed one once while in S. Africa in a ground blind one evening. Dealt with it nonetheless without any big issue. Permethrin is only effective for 30 days btw
 
You will probably encounter more ticks than mosquitoes. I spray Peaceful Sleep on my pants and boots to keep the ticks away. It works great. You can buy it in SA at any grocery store or pharmacy. I had tick bite fever a couple of years ago. I promise you don’t want to have it. Enjoy your hunt!
 
Only needed one once while in S. Africa in a ground blind one evening. Dealt with it nonetheless without any big issue. Permethrin is only effective for 30 days btw
Well my pocket book doesn’t allow for trips that go past 30 days personally. So I just treat a couple days before leaving then once dry pack all my stuff
 
In South Africa, the little red ticks are your biggest worry. I did encounter mosquitos just last week in my hunt camp, but nothing a shot of DOOM couldn't handle.

I could see it being valuable in a bowhunt blind close to water, but not on a rifle hunt.
 
It’s good for ticks but make sure your down wing of the truck… it strips clear coat and melts plastic. I like to pretreat all cloths with permethrin before I go
I only mentioned this as the authored mentioned that he already treated his clothes
 
In South Africa, the little red ticks are your biggest worry. I did encounter mosquitos just last week in my hunt camp, but nothing a shot of DOOM couldn't handle.

I could see it being valuable in a bowhunt blind close to water, but not on a rifle hunt.
I’m not sure what the little red ticks would be but pepper ticks are my biggest concern. I’ve never seen as many ticks anywhere as I have in the coastal areas in eastern cape. Permethrin does its job well thankfully. Areas that freeze or burn regularly don’t have nearly as many ticks.
 
Justin,

I've been in about 25 different African hunting areas several of which were in RSA. You won't need a Thermacel. Particularly in August which is still winter in RSA bugs will not be an issue.

Mark
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,300
Messages
1,572,106
Members
169,493
Latest member
CortneyRen
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top