AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
AK WSF, AMM, DSC, GOA, GRAA, NRA, PHASA, SCI, WSF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Argentina, Canada, England, Macedonia, Mexico, Serbia, Alaska, USA
I’ve got a 150+ Kynoch Cordite Berdan .475 No 2 rounds of ammo. Tomorrow I’ll pull all the bullets to reuse in new Bertram shells.

Not sure what I’ll do with cordite, probably just burn it, but the shells with the primers- what a cool way to do dry fire exercises. More fun then snap caps that’s for sure.

I’ve got a 150+ Kynoch Cordite Berdan .475 No 2 rounds of ammo. Tomorrow I’ll pull all the bullets to reuse in new Bertram shells.

Not sure what I’ll do with cordite, probably just burn it, but the shells with the primers- what a cool way to do dry fire exercises. More fun then snap caps that’s for sure.
Would this be corrosive in anyway though? I hear alot of those old primers were corrosive

Would this be corrosive in anyway though? I hear alot of those old primers were corrosive
Yea a little bit. But if I cleaned the barrels right after with hot soapy water all will be fine.

We pulled the Kynoch bullets yesterday, they came out perfect, and ended up with a huge bag full of cordite.

Yea a little bit. But if I cleaned the barrels right after with hot soapy water all will be fine.

We pulled the Kynoch bullets yesterday, they came out perfect, and ended up with a huge bag full of cordite.
The huge bag of black spaghetti needs a pic posting. Plus getting rid of it is going to be fun

gotta a burn pile with about 2 feet of snow in it if you would like to provide an accelerant

So I ended up filling a one-gallon ziplock bag with cordite and had almost a quart left over. I gave the big bag to my friend but brought the rest home for my fiancé to play with.

IMG_6813.jpg

Just throw the barrels in the dishwasher haha
OK, full disclosure: I've done this.

In this case, I'd put the receiver in as well... But that barrel? You need to punch it, too. The soapy water doesn't always make it all the way down the bore. But the outside will be clean!

So I ended up filling a one-gallon ziplock bag with cordite and had almost a quart left over. I gave the big bag to my friend but brought the rest home for my fiancé to play with.

View attachment 515511

So how she going to cook it for you...with bolognaise or arrabiata sauce?...... :E Head Scratch: :E Shrug: :A Banana:

@Aussie_Hunter just one flaw to your plan, I don’t have a dishwasher. ;-)

Sourdough: I've seen decapping tools for Berdan cases, but have never met anyone who actually reloads them. As a suggestion, you might want to save a few of those old Kynoch cases, and perhaps a pulled bullet or two. Reload one of the (de-primed) cases with its bullet and use it for display on a cartridge board.

Something else that I've done is cut the case head off and use it to make a one-of-a-kind money clip. You could also use them for cuff-links, depending on how often you wear French cuffs these days. But a money clip gets used a lot, and I can pretty well guarantee that you will be the only one in your circle of friends who has one in .475 No. 2 and a Kynoch headstamp.

Just be sure to give the case a good scrubbing (inside and out) with hot soapy water and some Ballistol in order to counter the effects of the corrosive primers.

You can drive the primer out by filling the case with water. Used a wooden dowel close to the neck size, make sure the case head is supported and the primer has a place to exit. Hit the wooden dowel with a hammer and the primer will pop out.

Sort of like removing a pilot bearing from a crankshaft with grease or wet TP.

Side note, if you do cut any case heads. Please make sure the primer is dead. Primers as small as they are have a lot of power in them.

Sourdough:
Here's an example of the money clip that I had made from one of my old cases.

400NE clip.JPG

There are jewelers who will make much fancier ones from sterling silver, etc. but I never could understand the desire to own a money clip that costs more than the money it holds.

The berdan primer pockets don't have a central flash hole do they? Will you drill one or use a decayer pin to punch through?

The berdan primer pockets don't have a central flash hole do they? Will you drill one or use a decayer pin to punch through?
The Berdan decapping tools that I've seen have two punches which align with the corresponding flash holes in the case head. But I like Inline6's idea too.

I meant, in order to fire a regular primer with a central flash hole, will you have to create one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg