Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
CPT, Cavalry US Army, Retired
Hunted
South Africa, MO, CO, SD
Some rifle intellectual effort for your enjoyment
I wrote this for my website and Clients. Hope you enjoy my analysis.

full

Attachments

• The Scout Rifle Has Run It’s Course.pdf
    276.6 KB · Views: 994
Last edited by a moderator:
Without reading your article, I can tell you that some are still on the course and running strong.

Good points. I tried a scout scope once and didn't care for it. A conventional low power variable is better.

I do think a bolt action rifle with a detachable mag is nice if you live in an unfree state and can't get an AR. Maybe not ideal for room clearing but better then you might think.

I have a steyr scout I still hunt with, but will admit I wish there was a better selection of scout scopes available. But I understand its a pretty small market for optic manufactures to chase.

regards
Pat

CRS -

Never said they weren't worth having. Still have mine. Probably will not bother with building any more.

Checked your web site. Good job! (y)

Thank you for the feedback.

Interesting write-up, but I found the concept of an 'autoloading' Scout worth pursuing on my builds using the M1 Garand as the platform. (Obligatory pics below. ;) )

The problem, or challenge, will always be meeting Cooper's requirement of 'making weight.' An M1 as the platform makes that difficult.

Still, there are trade-off benefits with a semi-auto Scout Rifle (or more accurately perhaps, a Scout carbine), as author Brian Sheetz notes in this article:

M1 'Tanker' Scout:
photo.JPG
photo.JPG

Very nice Jack - I really like those laminate stocks. How did you fare on the weight by building it as a tanker?

Put this together for a Client. He wanted to be able to restore it to original, so no chopping allowed.

F Brunette 2.jpg
Garand  Laminate vs old.jpg

Nice analysis. I think the Colonel was envisioning an AR-10 when he was describing the Scout but just didn't know it because the tech was not there at the time. You're updated parameters are spot.

Who knows where future development will take us in the next 20-30 years...

Very nice Jack - I really like those laminate stocks. How did you fare on the weight by building it as a tanker?

Put this together for a Client. He wanted to be able to restore it to original, so no chopping allowed.

Very nice.

My 18.5" Tanker-Scout, unloaded but otherwise set up as shown, hits 11lbs. Shuff's Parkerizing did the build. Despite the weight, it actually balance and carries well in the field using a 2-pt Magpul MS1 sling for 'patrol carry.' Quicker to shoulder and shoot that way.

Everything is restorable, as I kept the original GI barrel, op rod, and stock set. A Criterion .30-06 'Tanker' (M1 profile barrel) was used, and I had a spare op rod to donate for the project. It's intended role is as a 'hunting' Scout, but it can easily be returned to 'full-size' GI trim.

I also have a 16.1" 'Mini-G' hunting carbine, also built by Schuff's. That one is set up similarly, and weighs in at 10.8lbs, unloaded but with a T-37FH and an Olongapo stock pak.

photo.JPG

A 'standard' Mini-G in .308, with no Ultimak forward rail or optic, runs about 8.9lbs with a stock pak, as below:

photo.JPG

Not having a laminated stock set saves a bit of weight as well, laminated wood being heavier than a walnut stock.

Last edited:
Not mine, but a similar Scout build by Robar (now defunct) on a 'full-size' M1 rifle, including their NP3 metal treatment and a 3-pc laminated stock set.

My guess is that it's at least 12lbs with the laminated stock set and 2-pt sling. (See 2nd pic).

photo.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

Last edited:
When the rifle is well balanced, even at 10 lbs., you can use it effectively. It wears you out walking a patrol with it/still hunting - by the end fo the day at Thunder Ranch, you have had a workout.

I took a course or two at TR with a full size M1A - buddy used his Garand. Now with old guy eyes, the optic would be pretty important to have on there.

This combo (pics the Robar build) looks mighty nice.

When the rifle is well balanced, even at 10 lbs., you can use it effectively. It wears you out walking a patrol with it/still hunting - by the end fo the day at Thunder Ranch, you have had a workout.

I took a course or two at TR with a full size M1A - buddy used his Garand. Now with old guy eyes, the optic would be pretty important to have on there.

This combo (pics the Robar build) looks mighty nice.

For the short-range hunting I do, that's why I went with the 16.1" Mini-G carbine build. The Tanker was more of an experiment on the 18.5" platform.

Both are very accurate, but I'm not shooting them over 200yds anyway, and more likely inside 125yds. Nor shooting them in Service Rifle matches. They're purely 'hunters' for use in the thick bramble bush and heavily timbered areas.

If I lived in Alaska, I'd have Shuff's re-barrel the Mini-G to .35 Whelen. On these builds he does an additional internal receiver mod and installs his version of a Holbrook device which ensures the reliable feeding of big, heavy .35-cal bullets (250gns) using either 5- or 8-rd M1 en bloc clips.

Great article. Thank you for sharing. I was with 43rd ENGR Co. 2/3 ACR during your last year of service.

Jack - Now that would be some rifle goodness - a gas-operated .35 Whelen! Hmmmm.....

Vanguard - did your Sqn make the trip to NTC in 89 also? Wow! That was some fun! I ran the ALOC as OIC 24/7 for my Sqn.

Ah, NTC,.... Yes, i was there. Considering that we were loading for the Sandbox about a year later, it was good training.

Nice article with a good sense of humor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross