The Old Shikari Interview With Kawshik Rahman For 2021

How many % auf the hunts in old India endet with an sucsess?

Did you get it from the media?
What was with your boss in the hunting industrie?
Did he change to wildlife-watching or photo-safaris?
By the grace of the Lord , most hunts were successful , but many were not .
We used to hear rumours from the media about hunting being banned , but we arrogantly assumed that it would never happen . This was our mistake. Instead , we should have done our best to campaign against this draconian law.
My boss , sold all his assets and settled in Australia.

37145404gw.jpg

Some German hunting book, about old India.

Attachments

• 37145404gw.jpg
    37145404gw.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited by a moderator:
By the grace of the Lord , most hunts were successful , but many were not .

What did you think was the difficult hunts? Witch animal?
Also I read a lot about bear hunting in India (now mostly forgotten, the people always speak about the tiger hunting)...
Can you tell us here more please?
With method did you use?

What did you think was the difficult hunts? Witch animal?
Also I read a lot about bear hunting in India (now mostly forgotten, the people always speak about the tiger hunting)...
Can you tell us here more please?
With method did you use?
Bull Hunter
That is a most interesting question , albeit slightly difficult to answer. It is like choosing if one would like to be clawed to death , trampled to death or bitten in the leg and dragged into the water to drown .
A good deal of people think that the Royal Bengal tiger is the most difficult to hunt . It weighs 400 to 500 pounds and a 12 bore rifled slug bullet will only give you six inches of penetration for a body shot .
They must be shot in the head between the eyes , if you hope to kill them with a 12 bore rifled slug bullet .
The leopard is lighter than a Royal Bengal tiger ( weighing a maximum of little above 200 pounds at most ) but it is more devious in it's attacks and much , much faster. While a 12 bore rifled slug bullet can easily kill a leopard , it is a night mare to pursue a wounded leopard into thick vegetation .
The Gaur is probably the most aggressive animal . It's horns are more small and curved than those of a water buffalo , but this is precisely what makes them more dangerous . They can weigh up to 2000 pound and on account of their thick skin , should not be tackled with anything lighter than a 9.3 millimeter mauser cartridge.
The one animal which l actually feel very uncomfortable hunting is the crocodile . Crocodiles in the Buri Ganga river have some times gotten as large as twenty feet in length. These loathsome creatures have a very malicious method of killing. They will get a hold of their prey's leg and drag them into water to drown them. Then they will quietly take the corpse to a hole and eat it . My mother used to call them devil lizards .
To answer your question specifically , l would have to say that the most difficult creature to hunt is undoubtedly a wounded leopard which has retreated into dense vegetation .
Bears could be stalked , but they could also be killed over baits . I do not consider bears to be very dangerous , although they can be quite aggressive .

The one animal which l actually feel very uncomfortable hunting is the crocodile.
...did you do it like in Africa...
Seraching / by sight (in the night with flashligt is the US way to hunt aligators, but mostly forbitten in the dark continent) or baiting in the river?

I read in my newspapers that they are kill many people.
(Not hunters, woman witch goes to the water, pp.)
Like the (bull)shark in the ganges (dead bodys of the hindu people).

The one animal which l actually feel very uncomfortable hunting is the crocodile.
...did you do it like in Africa...
Seraching / by sight (in the night with flashligt is the US way to hunt aligators, but mostly forbitten in the dark continent) or baiting in the river?

I read in my newspapers that they are kill many people.
(Not hunters, woman witch goes to the water, pp.)
Like the (bull)shark in the ganges (dead bodys of the hindu people).
That is very correct . Crocodiles are a massive problem in India. It must be remembered that in many poor Indian villages , people ( usually women ) wash their clothes in river water . I have cut more than one crocodile open ( which l had shot ) which had human remains inside it ) . Crocodiles are baited but could also be shot on land , if they were basking.
It should also be remembered that a very similar animal to the crocodile exists in India called the Gharrial . However , it is harmless , as it eats mostly fish and have a much narrower mouth .

I have cut more than one crocodile open ( which l had shot ) which had human remains inside it )

Did you also do game control?
Was the government / police / wildlife orga. hiered you for sutch action also?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you also do game control?
Was the government / police / wildlife orga. hiered you for sutch action also?
No , sir.
I was a Shikari working for a private Shikar outfitter to guide clients . I know people who used to work in the forest department before , to deal with troublesome animals.

Okay, Sir.

I tought that was "mixed", like in Africa.
PHs does sometimes PAC-hunts with the clints, or shoot them allone, then there is an emergency. (Of course only in some african countrys.)

PHOTOGRAPHIC
How popular was photographic-safaris in these days?
Or "only" wild-life-watching?

Did you do that also?

What did you do with "the days left" then the client has shoot his animals?

Thank you, sir, for the PM.

Last edited:
Okay, Sir.

I tought that was "mixed", like in Africa.
PHs does sometimes PAC-hunts with the clints, or shoot them allone, then there is an emergency. (Of course only in some african countrys.)
received_551989612237068.jpeg

This Royal Bengal tiger ( the last one shot by me ) was a man eater and perhaps it is akin to an African problem causing Animal ? I shot it in 1969 .

PHOTOGRAPHIC
How popular was photographic-safaris in these days?
Or "only" wild-life-watching?

Did you do that also?

What did you do with "the days left" then the client has shoot his animals?
Bull Hunter
There were photograph safaris , but l guided very few of them . I was always more interested in actual hunting .
The days left over , were usually spent In any manner the client saw fit. Many of them treated us dinner , often we would clean their fire arms . And of course , handling the paper work for letting their trophies go through customs ( however , l personally did not oversee this procedure )

WILDLIFE
You have us told here many great infos and hunting adventures about tiger, Leopard and even bear.
Thank you, sir.

Did ou have lions - the asiatic lions - also?
Or was it - like today, only in some special parts of old India?

WILDLIFE
You have us told here many great infos and hunting adventures about tiger, Leopard and even bear.
Thank you, sir.

Did ou have lions - the asiatic lions - also?
Or was it - like today, only in some special parts of old India?
Bull Hunter
We did have lions ( and we still do in India ) . However , these creatures could not legally be hunted even in our time.
It was only : Royal Bengal tiger, leopards , Gaurs , boars , bears and crocodiles and non dangerous animals.

Thank you both very much for this wonderful interview. Smart interesting questions, smart interesting answers.
I hope it's not over yet.
Regards from Munich

Thank you both very much for this wonderful interview. Smart interesting questions, smart interesting answers.
Regards from Munich
Foxi
Thank you so much for your kind words . I am most grateful for your endless support.

and non dangerous animals
Can you tell them ("all") please.
Thank you sir.

Regards from Munich

Thank you also, sir.
No, I still have some questions more. So we will some more pages to fill. (Thanks to our "Shikari from old India".)
(Please: If you some ideas, please send me an PM).
Also: We hade an Long private convensation.
And the rest come sin the article, (If You are from Germany, I sure you will get it.)
Regards from F.

and non dangerous animals
Can you tell them ("all") please.
Thank you sir.

Regards from Munich

Thank you also, sir.
No, I still have some questions more. So we will some more pages to fill. (Thanks to our "Shikari from old India".)
(Please: If you some ideas, please send me an PM).
Also: We hade an Long private convensation.
And the rest come sin the article, (If You are from Germany, I sure you will get it.)
Regards from F.
Bull Hunter
With pleasure . We had Sambhar deer , Chital deer , four horn antelope , Nilgai. I do not know if you European gentlemen consider boars dangerous , but l certainly am cautious near them. If they charge at you with their tusks , they may rupture the femoral artery in your leg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!