The Old Shikari Interview With Kawshik Rahman For 2021

Questions for post Nr. 19:

My Name
Pleace call me FM, for Dr. M. if you like, for law issues.

l have seen many get poached by Garo tribal poachers.
How many poacher did you have in old India? And in the new?
What are your expirience?
And: How Long get an poacher into prison?

The only dangerous animals available for Shikar were : Royal Bengal tiger , Leopard , Gaur , Asian Sloth Bear , Bush Boars and Crocodiles.
Did you ever heard of Shikaris witch are beeing killed by an dangerous animal?

Tigers
There are many old storys, about tigers witch climp up an machan, to get into an machan.
Is this pure fiction? Or not?
Did you get any "first hunt informations"?

Snakes
You have many dangerous snakes, like the crait or the great king cobra.
What are your adventures with them?

Questions for post Nr. 19:

My Name
Pleace call me FM, for Dr. M. if you like, for law issues.

l have seen many get poached by Garo tribal poachers.
How many poacher did you have in old India? And in the new?
What are your expirience?
And: How Long get an poacher into prison?

The only dangerous animals available for Shikar were : Royal Bengal tiger , Leopard , Gaur , Asian Sloth Bear , Bush Boars and Crocodiles.
Did you ever heard of Shikaris witch are beeing killed by an dangerous animal?

Tigers
There are many old storys, about tigers witch climp up an machan, to get into an machan.
Is this pure fiction? Or not?
Did you get any "first hunt informations"?

Snakes
Dear Bull Hunter
Please accept my humblest of apologies.
Prior to 1972 , poaching was very small scale . The Garo tribesmen would shoot two bull elephants in one year for their meat and their ivory. After 1972 , when legal hunting was banned , poaching increased to levels which could threaten wild life with extinction.
I have never poached any elephants myself , but l would turn a blind eye to what the Garo tribesmen were doing , because we would use them as trackers for our Shikars and we needed to maintain good relationship with them.
Poaching carries a penalty now of fourteen years in prison , on paper.
I have heard of quite a few Shikaris get killed by dangerous animals. The client of my late colleague , Rongon Daas lost his life when he attempted to shoot a Royal Bengal tiger with a model 70 rifle from Winchester , calibrated for .220 Swift.

Tigers and leopards can most definitely climb into macchans. I have seen this happen with my own eyes and it almost reached our client , before my late Shikari partner stopped the charge by shooting it with an SG cartridge from a distance of five feet using his 12 bore side by side shot-gun . I was very surprised at the time that they can actually do this , after l had seen it with my own eyes . I used to think that this was pure fiction.

I have a book “ Thirteen Years Among the Wild Beasts of India “ written by George P Sanderson Shahib , who lived in the late 19th century.

This is an great book.
I have it also in the first printed version.

Here I post the PDF for all the Readers of the great African-Hunting-Forum.
https://docdro.id/UjajfE1

Or send me per PM your mail I send it you directly.
It is an great book, with great ilus also.

Attachments

• 13 Years against Indias wildest Beasts (1879).pdf
    29.7 MB · Views: 122
Snakes

Snakes
Bull Hunter
Please forgive me for forgetting toention snakes. Snakes were sadly very common in India , especially cobras. That is why we would always carry a vial of potash and a sterile razor blade with us at all times , in case any one in our party was bitten . We routinely used to kill snakes , as we used to treat them like vermin , as one would treat a cockroach today .
Snakes are easy to kill with a shot-gun and number 7 shot cartridges . But be sure to stab the head with a knife immediately. Sometimes , the bird shot merely incapacitates them .

Did you every get biten by an snake?
Or an friend of you?

Are the big King Cobras so impressive as the most gun-writer reported?

Did you every get biten by an snake?
Or an friend of you?

Are the big King Cobras so impressive as the most gun-writer reported?
I am fortunate never to get bitten by a snake , but my coolie , Rishi got bitten by a King Cobra once . He survived , as we were able to suck the poison out very quickly .
I personally view King Cobras as vermin and have never given much thought to them as foreigners did , sir. I merely killed any that l came across. Our Garo trackers would consider them a delicacy .

37110587jn.jpg

(From my hunting-tripp to Simbabwe, in 2018)

Attachments

• 37110587jn.jpg
    37110587jn.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited by a moderator:
In the old days...
How long was an hunt normaly? 10 days? Or longer?
On witch ways did you get clients?
By marketing in the newspaper? Or?
Did you have the old prices for hunts (staff, guide and trophy animals) in that days?

In the old days...
How long was an hunt normaly? 10 days? Or longer?
On witch ways did you get clients?
By marketing in the newspaper? Or?
Did you have the old prices for hunts (staff, guide and trophy animals) in that days?
A hunt was normally two weeks long or less.
There was marketing in the news papers similar to tourist brochures these days . Shikar was a major part of helping with India's economy back in those days. Sundar Raj sir also had connections in the United States of America and Europe.
I used to be paid 4000 Rupees for a standard package Shikar ( two species ) , 3000 rupees for a budget package Shikar ( one species ) , 5000 for a mega package Shikar ( three species ) and 6000 for a deluxe package Shikar ( four species ) . Trackers would typically be paid 500 Rupees Coolies were paid 200 Rupees.

Can you "translate" the Rupees in US-Dollars (then - 1965 - and now - - 2019).
Thank you.

Here I post two more old books about hunting in "old india" in englisch.
In the first one are also infos about "Elefant hunting in india".

Attachments

• 37111302pf.pdf
    16.4 MB · Views: 90
  • 37111333zr.pdf
    21.6 MB · Views: 111
Here I post two more old books about hunting in "old india" in englisch.
In the first one are also infos about "Elefant hunting in india".

Bull Hunter
I have had a chance to read both these book now and l appears to me , that in both cases the authors are relating incidents which happened at least thirty or forty years before the time when they decided to write the book . For instance , the books mention one Major Rogers in Ceylon. Major Thomas Rogers , who shot 1500 Ceylon elephants , was actually killed by a bolt of lighting in 1845 . I have seen his grave , even .
The other elephants mentioned being shot are Ceylon elephants. Ceylon was not India , but Sri Lanka .
The other elephants mentioned being shot were indeed Indian elephants , but these were rogue elephants which were very rare , and in the case of rogue elephants , the government permitted them to sometimes be shot . However , elephants were certainly not animals that were consistently hunted , unlike Royal Bengal tiger , leopard , Gaur , Asian sloth bears , bush boar or crocodiles.

on my last trip to Africa I saw a large black mamba, but did not get a chance to shoot it, the trackers seemed very afraid of it. at home I don,t kill snakes unless they come close to where the children play.

DSCN8377 (2).JPG

on my last trip to Africa I saw a large black mamba, but did not get a chance to shoot it, the trackers seemed very afraid of it. at home I don,t kill snakes unless they come close to where the children play.
Leslie Hetrick
Were you planning to shoot it with a rifle or a shot-gun ? In Bangladesh , we kill snakes with number 7 shot cartridges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg