The Little 6's

Svar

AH member
Reaction score
I was wondering how many of you guys shoot the little 6mms built on .222/.223 actions like the 6x45, 6x41(SPC), 6mmBR, or the 6mm/204 Ruger? Which one is better? Or better yet, which ones do you guys like and why?

I have a single-shot 6BR on a Stiller PredatorV action, right bolt, left port. Krieger 9-twist Remington Varmint contour, Jewell trigger, Devcon-bedded H-S Precision stock, Henriksen reamer, chambered and fitted by Steve Kostanich. Scope is a 6.5-20x42 Sightron. I use it for hunting pronghorn and mule deer, with either a 95gr BIB flat-base, 95gr Berger VLD, or 85gr Barnes TSX. Lapua brass, Varget powder, CCI 450 primers, around 3000 ft/sec. The 6BR is very accurate (see 300-yard target below) but doesn't usually function well in a repeater. The pronghorn below was shot with the 95gr BIB. Exit wound not shown to protect the squeamish. :sick:

watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice antelope! While I am impressed with the 6mm BR, I think it is too powerful for coyotes, foxes, or bobcat. I guess I am interested in the Texas version of the .375 H&H: something that is not too powerful for small game like coyote, fox, beaver, bobcat, turkey, and javelina but adequate for medium and big game like deer, pronghorn and hogs. The .243 is too powerful for the small game stuff and personally, I think it is a bit too small for the big hogs and way too powerful for the meat hogs. A round like one of the little 6mms would be adequate enough with shot placement on big game but not too powerful for the small stuff.

The best quality of the little 6's is their ability to be chambered in slim, petite repeating rifles.

I was wondering how many of you guys shoot the little 6mms built on .222/.223 actions like the 6x45, 6x41(SPC), 6mmBR, or the 6mm/204 Ruger? Which one is better? Or better yet, which ones do you guys like and why?
@Scar
There's a gunwriter in OZ Briel Jackson that loves his 25/204 for hunting. It gives the same velocities as the 250 Savage with 87 and 90 grain projectiles and does pretty well with the flat base 100 grainers
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiamhEngla

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.