The ideal retreat home

From my house CoElkHunter!

I got educated, waaaay beyond my intelligence.

I shouldn't have been let out of high-school English class.

Not to get into politics, and you may disagree with me, but Colorado is trying its hardest to beat California and being California, so tons of restrictions, and taxes and policies I am not thrilled to be apart of. This state used to be an sportsman paradise but slowly that is coming to an end being replaced by pot smoking tree hugger types.

Anyway, during covid, people just up and quit their jobs and sat around on unemployment, in some cases quit paying rent and the state would not allow landlords to evict, some didnt pay for over a year. We decided other than our home, this is not the state to own income property in, we have one commercial building left but slowly moving investments to Texas.
Colocalifornicate! Don't come here to live!

I shared this on another thread on here somewhere before.... but will share again. It's one of my happy places.

In 2014 I was drawn by the State of Alaska in a land lottery. I was able to stake out property on a remote lake. There are no roads to the property - it's a 40 minute or so drive to the lake shore and another dozen miles in a boat to get there. Over the course of the intervening years I have built a cabin on my property. It has been slow; I have no training in construction. It's all been trial and error/YouTube, and on my own. The exterior is mostly done. This summer I hope to work on the interior, and to put in an outhouse (I chose not to the past two years due to lumber costs). Again, it's one of my happy places: I look forward to a lot more time at my cabin in the coming years, with less emphasis on building and more on just enjoying. For what it's worth, the cost of the land (almost 6 acres) was about 10K and I've got another 18K in my cabin thus far.

P1030190.jpg

P1010193 - Copy.jpg

P1010174 - Copy.jpg

P1010237.JPG

P1030201.jpg

P1010245.jpg

I shared this on another thread on here somewhere before.... but will share again. It's one of my happy places.

In 2014 I was drawn by the State of Alaska in a land lottery. I was able to stake out property on a remote lake. There are no roads to the property - it's a 40 minute or so drive to the lake shore and another dozen miles in a boat to get there. Over the course of the intervening years I have built a cabin on my property. It has been slow; I have no training in construction. It's all been trial and error/YouTube, and on my own. The exterior is mostly done. This summer I hope to work on the interior, and to put in an outhouse (I chose not to the past two years due to lumber costs). Again, it's one of my happy places: I look forward to a lot more time at my cabin in the coming years, with less emphasis on building and more on just enjoying. For what it's worth, the cost of the land (almost 6 acres) was about 10K and I've got another 18K in my cabin thus far.

View attachment 524038
View attachment 524039
View attachment 524040
View attachment 524041
View attachment 524042
View attachment 524043
Looks like Dusty Hill of ZZ Top on the front porch?

Georgia is a horrible place to live, as well.

Gnats, chiggers, ticks, unbearable heat and humidity. Rednecks with Confederate flags flying everywhere. Law-abiding people carrying guns (concealed and open) without any type of restrictions. Even AR-15's, AK-47's, FN-FAL's, riot shotguns, it's crazy and stupid dangerous.

Even my local church doesn't care if you prop your rifle against the back wall, if you needed to hunt for a while before you come to Bible study.

My next-door neighbor emptied a drum magazine in his yard an hour ago and the authorities have not even responded.

AVOID
AVOID
AVOID

Bunch of Neanderthals...

But it is above ground - not a catacomb.

It is the trophy room / good friends bar / guest house. Drop in for two fingers of something amber (not that "A") sometime.
'have you a photo of any BIG KS whitetails in the trophy room? Likely larger than TX!

Georgia is a horrible place to live, as well.

Gnats, chiggers, ticks, unbearable heat and humidity. Rednecks with Confederate flags flying everywhere. Law-abiding people carrying guns (concealed and open) without any type of restrictions. Even AR-15's, AK-47's, FN-FAL's, riot shotguns, it's crazy and stupid dangerous.

Even my local church doesn't care if you prop your rifle against the back wall, if you needed to hunt for a while before you come to Bible study.

My next-door neighbor emptied a drum magazine in his yard an hour ago and the authorities have not even responded.

AVOID
AVOID
AVOID

Bunch of Neanderthals...
I'm moving to Georgia! 81 miles south of Montana! LOl.

It is truly is amazing that I've lived here for 58 years and I can remember it getting below 0 F only one time. (My cat froze to death that January night in 1982).

And only 81 miles south of Montana.

A geographical oddity...

You will have to trade in your weed for moonshine, or you will never be trusted.

It is truly is amazing that I've lived here for 58 years and I can remember it getting below 0 F only one time. (My cat froze to death that January night in 1982).

And only 81 miles south of Montana.

A geographical oddity...
It was only 12F yesterday morning here. I'm staying here for the meantime. LOL

It was 24F here this morning.

I may have to move to Florida.

I like tarpon fishing as well as I like hunting, so that might not be so bad.

*armed w/ that knowledge, 'had 2 crazy cat lady neighbors in '82 that I would've personally moved in! lol

Are you the one in the "Springs?" My daughter is a Dr. there! She just bought a nice, new, Small house for $600K. :(

Yes, Georgia used to make all kind of things before NAFTA.

We can make Mercedes and KIAs, but no Fords or GMs anymore.

I heard we are going to be making Hyundai's soon.

Dapper Dan, absolutely.

Glad you caught the geographical oddity reference.

I'm pushing for a retro - Land Rover Defender 110 plant!

Yes, Georgia used to make all kind of things before NAFTA.

We can make Mercedes and KIAs, but no Fords or GMs anymore.

I heard we are going to be making Hyundai's soon.

Dapper Dan, absolutely.

Glad you caught the geographical oddity reference.

I'm pushing for a retro - Land Rover Defender 110 plant!

If we could put Cumming diesel or Toyota 5.7L engines and strong manual transmissions in them, they could be the perfect vehicle.

Purposefully cryptic about details and location but my second house is about as different from where I live now as can be found- period.

50 yds from beach, seafood out the wazoo, mountains, cold freshwater rivers and no touri ! :)

IMG_0314.JPG

beach.JPG

scuba.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois