The Forest Of The Damned

Professor Mawla

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Ever since Bangladesh gained her independence in 1971 , only two hunters have authored books which related their experiences in pursuit of the unique game animals of East Bengal . One of these two authors is myself . I authored “ Jokhon Shikari Chilam “ ( “ When I Hunted Dangerous Game “ ) in 1994 . The other author is without a doubt , the greatest hunter of marauding Royal Bengal tigers in Bangladesh . He is the author of “ Sundarban Er Manush Kheko “ ( The Sundarban Marauders “ ) - The late Pachabdi Gazi ( 1924 - 1997 ) .

A lifelong native of the Sundarban mangrove forests , Pachadbi never looked like much . At first glance from a stranger ; he would always pass off as a lanky , anorexic , mild mannered simpleton with a very unconfident smile . But if you knew this gentleman personally or if you lived in the Sundarban mangrove forests , then you were aware of Pachabdi’s real identity : He was the hunter of 61 marauding Royal Bengal tigers ( with his first marauder being hunted in 1941 and his final marauder being hunted in 1987 ) and his long career ( as a dedicated forest guard ) spanned all the way from the time when the Sundarban mangrove forests were a part of British colonial India through the time when the forests were a part of East Pakistan to the time when they became a part of the People’s Republic Of Bangladesh .

Locally remembered as “ The Jim Corbett Of Bangladesh “ , Pachabdi became extremely close to me during the Bangladesh Liberation War in 1971 , during the time when I was posted in the Sundarban mangrove forests . And we remained extremely close up until the time when he unfortunately ( but extremely peacefully ) passed away in 1997 . The gentleman personally taught me everything that I have ever learnt about the art of hunting marauding Royal Bengal tigers . And he had the hunting of these ferocious creatures literally figured down to the precision of a mathematical formula .

Although Pachabdi remained extremely supportive of hunting throughout his entire life and directly took part in countless hunts during the 73 years of his life , he personally only shot two different species of game during his life . The first was the snipe . A game bird commonly found in practically all the rice paddy fields of East Bengal , this used to be Pachabdi’s favorite food of all time and he would spend every hunting season shooting these delicious game birds to fill his larder . The second was the Royal Bengal tiger . And that too , only the ones which had turned marauder .

It was the late Dr . Humayun Khan ( the former director of the Dacca Public Library ) who brought Pachabdi to the limelight of the Bangladeshi public in 1980 , when he co-authored his autobiography ( after spending nearly three years trying to convince Pachabdi to put his adventures down on paper ) . Unfortunately , it was written in Bengali and the exploits of this great man remained largely unknown to the international hunting community . However ; there is in fact one English literary work out there , which makes mention of Pachabdi’s exploits .

There used to be a very famous ( West ) Pakistani hunter , by the name of Tahawar Ali Khan . Back when Bangladesh still used to be a part of East Pakistan ; this gentleman frequently used to visit the Sundarban mangrove forests to hunt Axis deer , Bengal bush boars , red jungle fowl and golden snipe . He also hunted down nine marauding Royal Bengal tigers . In 1961 , Mr . Khan authored a book ( written in English ) which was titled “ The Man Eaters Of The Sundarbans “ . And chapter nine features the story of Pachabdi Gazi ( who was 34 years of age , at the time ) and his father , Putia Gazi . They both served as Mr . Khan’s guides during his annual hunting trips to the Sundarban mangrove forests , during the 1950s and 1960s .

And today , I have shared that chapter on AH forums . Perhaps , some may find it interesting . A little rudimentary reading on Pachabdi Gazi , may be found on his Wikipedia page . https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachabdi_Gazi

5252ECB4-9C39-42BE-9A81-CAB2CA222819.png

Pachabdi Gazi ( left ) , Dr . Humayun Ahmed ( centre ) , the author ( right ) . 1980

Last edited:
In 1961 ( shortly after the publication of this book ) , Pachabdi would receive a gift from President Marshall Ayub Khan himself . It was a gift which he would retain for the rest of his life . A nitro proofed 12 bore double barreled side by side shotgun , which was built by Raick Freres in Belgium and originally retailed by R.B Rodda & Co. in 1947 . It featured 2 3/4 inch chambers , double triggers , exposed rebounding hammers , extractors and 32 inch barrels ( a fully choked left and a modified choked right ) . This Belgian hammer 12 bore was acquired from the Satkhira arms depositary in the Khulna Division and gifted to Pachabdi , so that he could hunt snipe for the larder ( always preferring Eley Alphamax 2 3/4 inch # 8 birdshot shells for this application ) and for recreational and defensive purposes . 17 marauding Royal Bengal tigers would also fall to this unremarkable looking ( but high quality ) weapon , between 1961 and 1987 . In 1967 , President Marshall Ayub Khan personally awarded Pachabdi with the “ Sanad E Khidmat “ award ( the highest award which could be granted to a person of non military background ) for saving countless lives of local villagers , by efficiently killing dozens of marauders .
DADB81E5-21CF-4FA8-A53C-9630B8C46306.jpeg

Pachabdi’s Raick Freres 12 Bore Hammer DBBL ( Double Barreled Breech Loader ) Made In Belgium
27C52AAC-33F5-45CE-AE12-0E16B9BD6524.png

Pachabdi & His Belgian Hammer 12 Bore . 1965
6D7F53CF-7F20-4C50-8361-F59FA1069B68.png

Pachabdi Gazi ( centre ) , His Brother Hashem Gazi ( left , who would later lose his left arm to a marauding Royal Bengal tiger ) & Major Poton Khan ( right ) . 1971

Of the 61 marauding Royal Bengal tigers which were killed by Pachabdi , 54 of them fell to gun traps ( of the kind illustrated and detailed in Mr . Tahawar Ali Khan’s book ) . Seven of them were personally shot by Pachabdi . At night , on foot and over torchlight . For personally shooting marauding Royal Bengal tigers , Pachabdi was always partial to one very specific kind of munitions - The Eley Alphamax 2 3/4 inch LG shells ( with each shell holding eight antimony hardened lead slugs of .36 calibre ) . He also taught me to develop a great admiration for these ( now unfortunately discontinued ) 12 bore shotgun shells and I would go on to make extensive use of them during my own career in Problem Animal Control work ( as well as my personal hunting applications ) over the years ( in my own Laurona 12 bore side-lock ejector )
D3AF4C16-87FA-4AF1-8549-7B268F9E5B89.jpeg

Eley Alphamax LG shells Owned By The Author

By all accounts ; an extremely modest and humble man who was never even remotely boastful about his prowess as a hunter , Pachabdi was always ( and without exception ) extremely forthcoming and unpretentious about how he hunted down all 61 of his marauding Royal Bengal tigers . If you looked at the man for the first time , you would not even want to hire him as a porter . He could not even pronounce “ Eley Alphamax “ properly ( referring to it , as “ Eley Alpha Mass “ ) . But when this unremarkable looking man would step into the Sundarban mangrove forests with his Belgian hammer 12 bore in hand , he would become someone else completely . For he was an extremely , extremely talented hunter . Killing a Royal Bengal tiger to Pachabdi , was like swatting a fly .

After Bangladesh gained her independence in 1971 , Pachabdi only shot one marauding Royal Bengal tiger in 1987 ( exactly ten years before he peacefully passed away in his sleep , at the age of 73 ; being the first male member of his family in three generations to die a natural death and not get fatally mangled or ever even remotely injured by a Royal Bengal tiger ) . If all of you have enjoyed this article , then I shall relate that incident on AH forums as well ( at a time of my convenience ) .

PS : The double barreled gun mentioned in Mr . Tahawar Ali Khan’s Book ( which was loaned by the Sundarban forest department to Pachabdi and his father ) , was actually a BSA ( Birmingham Small Arms ) hammerless box-lock ejector 12 bore side by side shotgun . It featured 2 1/2 inch chambers , double triggers and 28 inch barrels ( a fully choked left and a cylinder choked right ) . It was loaded with Eley 2 1/2 inch Contractile Ball shells , for the purposes of killing the marauding Royal Bengal tigers . These shells were loaded with hollow spherical bullets , which were filled with mercury .
BC5DD27B-4E8A-4612-994D-AC80FEF240C0.jpeg

36DF6742-C294-4CC0-AD5E-E959BC22F8B9.jpeg

Eley Contractile Ball Shells Owned By The Author

Last edited:
A hard copy of Mr. Tahawar Ali Khan’s book ( an unique piece which grippingly describes hunting in the Sundarban mangrove forests , for the international reader ) may be purchased on Abe Books from the internet . https://www.abebooks.com/first-edit...Tahawar-Ali-Khan-International/22581648125/bd

A video of Pachabdi Gazi may be found on YouTube , as well ( although the poster of the video has unfortunately gotten a few of the details about Pachabdi incorrect ) .

Thank you so much for posting this. It was absolutely fascinating to me, and and I am going to try to get a copy of the book by Mr. Khan. I would love to read Mr Gazi's book, but my Bengali is a bit rusty............once again, The Professor delivers!.....................Bill

In 1961 ( shortly after the publication of this book ) , Pachabdi would receive a gift from President Marshall Ayub Khan himself . It was a gift which he would retain for the rest of his life . A nitro proofed 12 bore double barreled side by side shotgun , which was built by Raick Freres in Belgium and originally retailed by R.B Rodda & Co. in 1947 . It featured 2 3/4 inch chambers , double triggers , exposed rebounding hammers , extractors and 32 inch barrels ( a fully choked left and a modified choked right ) . This Belgian hammer 12 bore was acquired from the Satkhira arms depositary in the Khulna Division and gifted to Pachabdi , so that he could hunt snipe for the larder ( always preferring Eley Alphamax 2 3/4 inch # 8 birdshot shells for this application ) and for recreational and defensive purposes . 17 marauding Royal Bengal tigers would also fall to this unremarkable looking ( but high quality ) weapon , between 1961 and 1987 . In 1967 , President Marshall Ayub Khan personally awarded Pachabdi with the “ Sanad E Khidmat “ award ( the highest award which could be granted to a person of non military background ) for saving countless lives of local villagers , by efficiently killing dozens of marauders .
View attachment 379297
Pachabdi’s Raick Freres 12 Bore Hammer DBBL ( Double Barreled Breech Loader ) Made In Belgium
View attachment 379298
Pachabdi & His Belgian Hammer 12 Bore . 1965
View attachment 379299
Pachabdi Gazi ( centre ) , His Brother Hashem Gazi ( left , who would later lose his left arm to a marauding Royal Bengal tiger ) & Major Poton Khan ( right ) . 1971

Of the 61 marauding Royal Bengal tigers which were killed by Pachabdi , 54 of them fell to gun traps ( of the kind illustrated and detailed in Mr . Tahawar Ali Khan’s book ) . Seven of them were personally shot by Pachabdi . At night , on foot and over torchlight . For personally shooting marauding Royal Bengal tigers , Pachabdi was always partial to one very specific kind of munitions - The Eley Alphamax 2 3/4 inch LG shells ( with each shell holding eight antimony hardened lead slugs of .36 calibre ) . He also taught me to develop a great admiration for these ( now unfortunately discontinued ) 12 bore shotgun shells and I would go on to make extensive use of them during my own career in Problem Animal Control work ( as well as my personal hunting applications ) over the years ( in my own Laurona 12 bore side-lock ejector )
View attachment 379300
Eley Alphamax LG shells Owned By The Author

By all accounts ; an extremely modest and humble man who was never even remotely boastful about his prowess as a hunter , Pachabdi was always ( and without exception ) extremely forthcoming and unpretentious about how he hunted down all 61 of his marauding Royal Bengal tigers . If you looked at the man for the first time , you would not even want to hire him as a porter . He could not even pronounce “ Eley Alphamax “ properly ( referring to it , as “ Eley Alpha Mass “ ) . But when this unremarkable looking man would step into the Sundarban mangrove forests with his Belgian hammer 12 bore in hand , he would become someone else completely . For he was an extremely , extremely talented hunter . Killing a Royal Bengal tiger to Pachabdi , was like swatting a fly .

After Bangladesh gained her independence in 1971 , Pachabdi only shot one marauding Royal Bengal tiger in 1987 ( exactly ten years before he peacefully passed away in his sleep , at the age of 73 ; being the first male member of his family in three generations to die a natural death and not get fatally mangled or ever even remotely injured by a Royal Bengal tiger ) . If all of you have enjoyed this article , then I shall relate that incident on AH forums as well ( at a time of my convenience ) .

PS : The double barreled gun mentioned in Mr . Tahawar Ali Khan’s Book ( which was loaned by the Sundarban forest department to Pachabdi and his father ) , was actually a BSA ( Birmingham Small Arms ) hammerless box-lock ejector 12 bore side by side shotgun . It featured 2 1/2 inch chambers , double triggers and 28 inch barrels ( a fully choked left and a cylinder choked right ) . It was loaded with Eley 2 1/2 inch Contractile Ball shells , for the purposes of killing the marauding Royal Bengal tigers . These shells were loaded with hollow spherical bullets , which were filled with mercury .
View attachment 379301
View attachment 379303
Eley Contractile Ball Shells Owned By The Author
Great post professor!!

Amazing story. It was only fitting he deserved a peaceful ending, people can only endure so much.

Thank you so much for posting this. It was absolutely fascinating to me, and and I am going to try to get a copy of the book by Mr. Khan. I would love to read Mr Gazi's book, but my Bengali is a bit rusty............once again, The Professor delivers!.....................Bill
@flatwater bill
I am deeply honored that you have enjoyed this .

Amazing story. It was only fitting he deserved a peaceful ending, people can only endure so much.
@CBH Australia

Yes . He used to be an incredibly modest and humble human being . Whenever I used to go to the Sundarban mangrove forests for any Problem Animal Control assignments , he always used to invite me to his house and treat me lunch or dinner . Even during a very brief period of time in the early 1970s , when his family was struggling with borderline poverty . I was always touched by how Pachabdi ( who had so little in this world for himself ) would always treat his visitors like royalty . Roasted golden snipe was always a staple at his dinner table . I would frequently bring him venison steaks from the Axis stags which I ( used to ) shoot , and he had a very particular way of preparing the steaks . First , he used to boil them in a pot of hot water and then sear them in a cast iron skillet with canned butter . He used to possess a heart of gold and I miss him greatly .

@CBH Australia

Yes . He used to be an incredibly modest and humble human being . Whenever I used to go to the Sundarban mangrove forests for any Problem Animal Control assignments , he always used to invite me to his house and treat me lunch or dinner . Even during a very brief period of time in the early 1970s , when his family was struggling with borderline poverty . I was always touched by how Pachabdi ( who had so little in this world for himself ) would always treat his visitors like royalty . Roasted golden snipe was always a staple at his dinner table . I would frequently bring him venison steaks from the Axis stags which I ( used to ) shoot , and he had a very particular way of preparing the steaks . First , he used to boil them in a pot of hot water and then sear them in a cast iron skillet with canned butter . He used to possess a heart of gold and I miss him greatly .
@professor Malwa
A beautiful story about an amazing and humble man. It never ceases to amaze me that those with so little are usually the most giving and happy of people. We have so much to learn from them for they have found you do not need wealth to be truly happy. A remarkable man and hunter.
Bob Nelson

Great read, thank you

@professor Malwa
A beautiful story about an amazing and humble man. It never ceases to amaze me that those with so little are usually the most giving and happy of people. We have so much to learn from them for they have found you do not need wealth to be truly happy. A remarkable man and hunter.
Bob Nelson
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
Thank you very much. Your observations are startlingly accurate . When I first visited his home in 1972, I brought along my Laurona 12 bore side-lock ejector and a dozen Eley Alphamax 2 3/4 inch no. 4 birdshot shell so that I could shoot a half dozen red jungle fowl . Pachabdi asked me if I wanted to hunt an Axis stag . I lamented that I did not possess any other ammunition than no. 4 birdshot shells . Pachabdi then walked over to his closet , when he used to keep his Belgian hammer 12 bore . His closet contained ten ( 25 round ) boxes of Eley Alphamax 2 3/4 inch no. 8 birdshot shells and one box ( 25 round ) box of Eley Alphamax 2 3/4 inch LG shells . He simply took out four LG shells and just handed them to me , smiling and telling me to go and secure a top grade Axis stag .

I was absolutely touched by this little token of his generosity .

Professor thank you so much for sharing. I have read many books on Africa but I now see that I need to expand my learning to include India, Bangladesh and the southern parts of Asia. The posting is a tribute to a humble man and his father that accomplished one of the true feats of service to others, in protecting others from things that would harm them. They are men that lived!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you