The Dangerous Game Designation

I think the criteria would be its potential to cause harm and/or death.
As an (dumb) example, poke a hole in a Sable at 40yards and it probably wont turn around and try stick its right horn up your a**, poke a hole in a lioness and she may turn around with a look that says "nice try, now its my turn sunshine"!

I tend to think the common DG that we know of fit that bill, although I would not like to get too close to an injured Sable, I still won't classify it as DG. Dangerous under a unique circumstance, yes, but all wild animals can be dangerous under unique circumstances.

The fact the Buff, Croc, Ele, Hippo, Leopard, Lion and Rhino are more capable of harming/killing under a wider variety of circumstances would make it DG in my opinion.
But that's my opinion only.

On a lighter note, maybe we can add Mosquito's and Mamba's to our list of DG??!??! :crazylol:

Funny you said that! The Mamba and Mosquito crossed my mind!

As an (dumb) example, poke a hole in a Sable at 40yards and it probably wont turn around and try stick its right horn up your a**,

pete if you stick a hole in a sable and wound it then be very careful on the follow up if you get in close to it, because it will do its best to skewer you in a very aggresive manner i promise you........

pete if you stick a hole in a sable and wound it then be very careful on the follow up if you get in close to it, because it will do its best to skewer you in a very aggresive manner i promise you........

So will a Bushbuck !

PeteG,

That gave me an idea. I'm bringing back a trophy mosquito. Cast in resin it will be placed on a plaque and hung next to my(if successful) croc skin. There can't be too many of those in trophy rooms.

I had a wounded kudu, that wanted to stick me with it's horns (it would have made an interesting video). I can also see oryx as dangerous...definitely sable and bushbuck.

A forty inch set of those horns or the ones on a Gemsbok certainly need respect.
On follow up on a Gemsbok my PH Augustinus just pointed and said the word "Danger" as I closed in to get finish it off.
That qualifies for me.

Someone must have read all the old books and seen where this DG all started????

Agreed, that's why I said
"although I would not like to get too close to an injured Sable, I still won't classify it as DG"
I have seen how dangerous a Sable can be, that is why I picked it as a (dumb) example.
Would you put it in the DG class with the other 7?

Same for bushbuck, I know how aggressive they can be, but they are still not classic DG in my book.

No offence, but you hear of (and see) man eating lions, leopard, crocs, crop raiding hippo, ele... not so many of rhino... I've been stalked by a croc and was struggling to get away from the shore line, so I have a healthy respect for them as DG
on the other hand, I have not heard of a village being terrorized by a child skewering sable or a bushbuck on a rampage of death. :D

I've been stalked by a croc and was struggling to get away from the shore line, so I have a healthy respect for them as DG
:D

you should have thrown the bottle of whisky you probably had in your hand (sorry beer, forgot you had to give up whisky :biggrin2:) at the croc then you wouldnt have been struggling so much :tongue:

Mike,
we don't waste... that's just bad beer management!!!

I would definitely not sacrifice myself guys, .... We need to be realist here... A tracker would do though or possibly a non hunting observer...

:meyou::meyou: no way! :tongue:

Someone bring me a president any president you choose!

:happywave:

My best always

I would definitely not sacrifice myself guys, .... We need to be realist here... A tracker would do though or possibly a non hunting observer...

My best always
You need a president to sacrifice! I think you are going to end up with more than you will need!:monkey:

My best always

Now I know why I should be taking a non hunting observer on my DG hunt... cheap bait... :tongue:

Don't start on the presidents.... some of us have whole governments we could offer!!! :stirring:

Don't start on the presidents.... some of us have whole governments we could offer!!! :stirring:

well pete as we know the minister for tourism has been booted , so one less to offer :whoo: suppose she could be given as a feebie :heh:

The origin of the term big 5 was coined by our hunting fore bearers as the 5 most dangerous animals to hunt on foot.
The term was immortalized by the tour operators for marketing purposes.
But as was mentioned by Jaco, the term was for the 5 most sought after dangerous animals in Africa and not by their size.
Later the hippo has been included to make the dangerous 6

The origin of the term big 5 was coined by our hunting fore bearers as the 5 most dangerous animals to hunt on foot.
The term was immortalized by the tour operators for marketing purposes.
But as was mentioned by Jaco, the term was for the 5 most sought after dangerous animals in Africa and not by their size.
Later the hippo has been included to make the dangerous 6

You and Jaco shed some light on the subject. Thanks! When was the croc added to make the 7? And was it due to increasing popularity as a game animal?

Originally the BIG 5 did not include the white rhino, but actually only the black because off its much more aggresive nature. Later on the white became part of this.

Originally the BIG 5 did not include the white rhino, but actually only the black because off its much more aggresive nature. Later on the white became part of this.

Interesting to note that there was a big enough difference in attitude that such a distinguishing trait was recognized.

having seen the look in a sables eyes that was trying to get me i will take the bushbuck please ;)

I saw that look in an Nyalas eyes and the guttural bellow he let out as he jabbed them pokers at me made me glad his back was broken. Not sure I want to call them DG though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.