The 243 Winchester for Australian Game

New Winchester 243 featherweight (1960) Nice boar in the bracken fern a week or so ago. 90 gr E-tip 15m , entry just behind shoulder broke the off side scapula and stopped against the fighting pad Drop on the spot. Good way to christen the new rifle.
Heres some pics, cheers Mick
View attachment 455881
recovered 90 grE-Tip
View attachment 455882

Myself, I would like to run 90gr Accubond bullets through mine, or 95 gr to 100 gr Partitions.
Factory ammo I like to stick to 100 gr bullets.
But that’s just me.
Those 100 grainers put a wallop on varmints, pops them up about 12 feet in the air, and as far back.
Love that boar! Great shooting! And I love you got it with a .243!

Hawk

Last edited by a moderator:
Myself, I would like to run 90gr Accubond bullets through mine, or 95 gr to 100 gr Partitions.
But that’s just me.
Those 100 grainers put a wallop on varmints, pops them up about 12 feet in the air, and as far back.

Hawk
+1
He wouldn't be the first bloke to flatten a Boar with a .243 but Bob's not convinced.

Maybe his mates need to practice better shot placement.

+1
He wouldn't be the first bloke to flatten a Boar with a .243 but Bob's not convinced.

Maybe his mates need to practice better shot placement.
@CBH Australia
Not better placement better brains.
They have had one good kill with the 87gn varmit bullet and believe it will kill everything and can't understand why not.
If they used the right bullet for the game that would be different. Short of beeting them on the head with the but how do you get it thru to them?

But that’s just me.

Hawk
Ive had very good performance from the 85/ 95gr partitions, only changed after trying the 85gr TSX from barnes. Then the E Tip became available So trying it Should work well on deer.

BOB- winter is going to be interesting. Enjoying not working in the heat / humidity

@264
Well they sure seem to work well Mick.
Maybe just maybe but don't hold your breath one day I might just say " hey the 243 may have a use"
Nah hell will freeze over first.
Still good to see someone loading it properly tho.
FFS Bob l nearly had a heart attack spitting out my coffee thinking you had flipped over to a 243 LOL

you may have to teach your mates with the 6mm where to shoot and what projies are good mate ;)

l've heard some good and bad reports about the e-tips but if you can get them to shoot straight its half the battle, then you only have to put them where it hurts

Ive had very good performance from the 85/ 95gr partitions, only changed after trying the 85gr TSX from barnes. Then the E Tip became available So trying it Should work well on deer.

BOB- winter is going to be interesting. Enjoying not working in the heat / humidity
@264
Mick about 10 to 11 ton of firewood shoot see you yhru the winter.
No more salads in winter mate more soups, stews and casseroles.
Frost that when you walk on the grass sounds like you are walking on dry gum leaves. The beautiful autumn colours of the leaves changing. I do love that time of year.
The best part is laying in bed with the better half and her saying cuddle me. Better than her saying piss off it's to hot.

FFS Bob l nearly had a heart attack spitting out my coffee thinking you had flipped over to a 243 LOL

you may have to teach your mates with the 6mm where to shoot and what projies are good mate ;)

l've heard some good and bad reports about the e-tips but if you can get them to shoot straight its half the battle, then you only have to put them where it hurts
@ marksman
I've been trying to teach them for year to no avail. They love their VMax projectiles to much. The 95gn SST is a far better bullet and then you have the lovely little TTSX but they are to expensive.
One 243 lover was given a M17 in 25-06 that needed a little bit of work. After I finished it it would shoot the blue box federal 117grain into 1.5" at 200 yards. After dropping a good size red deer and an old stallion brumby with on shot each his 243 stays home now.
The others with 243s I just shudder when they go bush with the VMax.
Bob

But that’s just me.

Hawk
Good work :)

Good work :)

Thank you!

I started using just 100 gr bullets because I was tired of moving my scope around to reset the zero.
The first time I used those 100 gr bullets on a rock chuck, I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw that thing jump into the air, and fly backwards out of sight off a boulder!! LOL
Then I tried them on a prairie dog, same thing happened!!
Next, after that was a coyote, around 350 yds away, hit him broad side, and summersalted him!! LMAO!!
So… I stayed with them. Didn’t look back.

Hawk

Thank you!

I started using just 100 gr bullets because I was tired of moving my scope around to reset the zero.
The first time I used those 100 gr bullets on a rock chuck, I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw that thing jump into the air, and fly backwards out of sight off a boulder!! LOL
Then I tried them on a prairie dog, same thing happened!!
Next, after that was a coyote, around 350 yds away, hit him broad side, and summersalted him!! LMAO!!
So… I stayed with them. Didn’t look back.

Hawk
I am finding the same thing you have. I’m starting to use the 100gr Hornaday for everything. Works well on Mule deer & Rock Chucks!
One sight setting.

I am finding the same thing you have. I’m starting to use the 100gr Hornaday for everything. Works well on Mule deer & Rock Chucks!
One sight setting.

I absolutely agree with you there!

I just wish others like ourselves, would do the same.

Like Bob, I have seen too many nimrods use the varmint bullets on big game, and fail horribly. Then they wonder how and why the .243 didn’t work like it did on that lowly coyote, or prairie dog.

You can’t go wrong with a 100 gr bullet for everything!

Hawk

I picked up my first 243 a year ago and now wonder why I waited so long! It really bridges the gap between my largest varmint rifle, 220 Swift, and my 7mm RUM I use for North American big game.
I got a Tikka T3x Superlite and worked up a very accurate load using the Barnes 80 gr TTSX.
I will now use it for Deer and Antelope here in the USA but can also whack the coyotes as well when I am carrying it.
Great caliber!

I found the 90 grain Speer bullets very good on goats and wicked hogs!
I used 44 grains of AR2209/IMR 4350
@Dr Ray
As I have said all along with the PROPER PROJECTILES it is probably ik out to 200 yard. The problem is most people don't choose wisely and things go tits up.
I will bet you London to a brick you aren't getting the book velocity of 3,030fps with it. That int to flash compared to a mates bog standard 25/303 that gets 3,200fps with a 100gn speer hot core.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KazukoWink

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.