The 243 Winchester for Australian Game

I love how the .243 in neither fish nor fowl. Too heavy, but too light, yet move up to .257 and all if a sudden magic happens. Not buying it.

The .35 Whelen is in the same boat, as is the .30-06 if properly cherry picked. Too powerful and not powerful enough. Hogwash.

Your 9.3 and .375 can also be classed this way. Any cartridge really can fall victim to cherry pickers.

I'm thinking of hunting Oz with Townsend and my .243. I think he'll have a pretty uneventful day as my backup...hahaha
@Forrest Halley
Lucky I don't pick cherries mate just know what works and what don't.
Come on over always welcome and bring your 243. I will take my 25 as backup as I know how many shots it takes to get a squirrel and we won't mention possums will we buddy.
It will be interesting to say the least.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

When i go on a hunting trip the 243 is not the only rifle in the truck, its used for the appropriate game.
Cats, fox, wild dogs, dingoes ect mostly at night . Wild pigs & goats can be taken with 100 grain Projectiles if the 243 is in your hands at the time, but i will use a 6.5 ,7x57 or 308 or some thing bigger when hunting those animals , the 243 has its place, flat shooting low recoil, its a better night time pest hunting cartridge& more versatile than a 22/250.

@Forrest Halley
Come on over always welcome and bring your 243. I will take my 25 as backup as I know how many shots it takes to get a squirrel and we won't mention possums will we buddy.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Make sure Bob is on his medication when you come.:cautious:

Make sure Bob is on his medication when you come.:cautious:
And has plenty of Vegemite and Bundy in stock. You'll definitely need the latter. Ha! Ha! Ha!

I can just imagine the Beer and Bullshit of an evening if you hunt with the .243, what's that Nike phrase? " Just do it"

I can just imagine the Beer and Bullshit of an evening if you hunt with the .243, what's that Nike phrase? " Just do it"
After the feast of Vegemite sandwiches washed down with Bundy, you can clean the powder and lead fouling out of the barrels with the Vegemite and then pour the Bundy down the barrels to finish the proper barrel cleaning. Similar to pouring water down the barrel to wash away the mercury salts from the primers when using corrosive ammo.

Use the Vegemite on a clean patch, just a schmear is all you need. Just what @Dr Ray puts on his toast.

Leaving Vegemite as it in the bore overnight may corrode the bore and remove all traces of Mono metal bullet fouling.

Don't use Vegemite on your .243 it may cause permanent damage. Bundy, like Hoppe's No.9 has a pleasant smell but it's an acquired taste. Like the .243 it's quite good when you learn to appreciate it.

@Forrest Halley
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Well if I had shot the opossum with the .243 it would have been a one shot deal. :A Stirring:

Let's talk about it. I shot at it 18 times with subsonic 300 BLK plated spitzer ammunition going 985 fps because I had false confidence in the ammunition and setup from shooting so much of it. I figured I'd use a suppressed setup as it was a late hour and I didn't want to disturb the rest of the world. :A Bang Head:

I'm not sure how many times I hit it because I botched up the offset at close range a few times before realizing it and eventually switching to the laser, but it took about eight rounds to the body and four rounds to the head with very little decisive effect. Of course, I was riding the trigger reset and a trifle disappointed in said opossum for his trespass upon my garbage and failure to fear humans. So perhaps there wasn't time for any effect to become apparent before more bullets were poured on. At first it was in disgruntled inconvenience which abruptly changed to desperate haste to end the suffering caused by such poorly suited ammunition for the task at hand.

Coupled with excessive technology, nighttime conditions, and an inexperienced operator and it's heading downhill fast. A simple .22 LR would have sufficed and handled the task readily, but I was drawn in by the allure of technology and a false sense of confidence/competence. I should not have left the trash exposed in the first place and stayed inside drinking beer.

I took this as a learning experience on several fronts. I redoubled efforts to keep any trash outside locked down and quickly developed expanding subsonic loads. I have also modified my practice regimen to include both close range and night shooting.

I don't think there will be any need for your .25. I figured you'd bring out the whelen so all the game would be dead before we got there from storied reputation alone. We could just walk about and collect them. Wouldn't be able to mount any of it terrified faces as we'd find them all in the fetal position, blind and deaf trying to get away from the hype. Hahaha:E Lol:

One time I shot up whole herd of raccoons that scrambled out of my grandmothers apricot tree with my 30-06. There were wounded coons crawling around everywhere. I guess those 180 Hot-cores don’t open very fast at 2500.
I have since switched to the 375 and it is much more decisive.

One time I shot up whole herd of raccoons that scrambled out of my grandmothers apricot tree with my 30-06. There were wounded coons crawling around everywhere. I guess those 180 Hot-cores don’t open very fast at 2500.
I have since switched to the 375 and it is much more decisive.
Or use 225gr Core Lokts out of your .338WM and try for head shots? Ha! Ha! Ha!

After the feast of Vegemite sandwiches washed down with Bundy, you can clean the powder and lead fouling out of the barrels with the Vegemite and then pour the Bundy down the barrels to finish the proper barrel cleaning. Similar to pouring water down the barrel to wash away the mercury salts from the primers when using corrosive ammo.
@CoElkHunter
Sacrilege mate you don't clean rifles with Bundy mate. Pure Sacrilege.

300 Blackout now that is a truly useless rifle cartridge, a little better than 30 M1 carbine. The 7.62x39 leaves it for dead, the 243 Win looks like super magnum compared to the Black Out, i wonder what Bob thinks about it ? it was developed to replace the 9mm in a sub machine gun roll, which it does very well . But we have a bunch of wankers that think it will do the job on pigs, at 25 meters may be, its becoming a super cartridge in the minds of some like the 6.5 CM.

Last edited:
300 Blackout now that is a truly useless rifle cartridge, a little better than 30 M1 carbine. The 7.62x39 leaves it for dead, the 243 Win looks like super magnum compared to the Black Out, i wonder what Bob thinks about it ? it was developed to replace the 9mm in a sub machine gun roll, which it does very well . But we have a bunch of wankers that think it will do the job on pigs, at 25 meters may be, its becoming a super cartridge in the minds of some like the 6.5 CM.
@rdog
The 30 Myra was the for runner of the 300BLK.
ARTHUR Langford did a whole heap of rounds on the 222 Remington case like the 243,25,270, 7mm and 30 Myra. Of these the 243 and 25 are the most use full.
Has the 300blk got as much power as the 30M1?
Bob

@rdog
The 30 Myra was the for runner of the 300BLK.
ARTHUR Langford did a whole heap of rounds on the 222 Remington case like the 243,25,270, 7mm and 30 Myra. Of these the 243 and 25 are the most use full.
Has the 300blk got as much power as the 30M1?
Bob
The 110 gr Soft point in 30 carbine was regarded by the late Jim Cirillo and Billy Allard as one the best one shot stoppers of men in close quarters gunfights. It generates nearly 1000 ft lbs at the muzzle and around 2000 fps.

The 110 gr TTSX in 300 BLK does around 2400fps with about 1400 ft lbs.

The 110 gr Soft point in 30 carbine was regarded by the late Jim Cirillo and Billy Allard as one the best one shot stoppers of men in close quarters gunfights. It generates nearly 1000 ft lbs at the muzzle and around 2000 fps.

I owe my life to a 30 M1 carbine taken from a wounded ARVN soldier in Vietnam in 1969, but i regard it as little better than a pistol the FMJ projectiles do not have not a lot of effect, the 7.62x39 is a much more effective round. The Black Out is better than the 30 M1 carbine but far from a hunting Cartridge, home defense
maybe.

I owe my life to a 30 M1 carbine taken from a wounded ARVN soldier in Vietnam in 1969, but i regard it as little better than a pistol the FMJ projectiles do not have not a lot of effect, the 7.62x39 is a much more effective round. The Black Out is better than the 30 M1 carbine but far from a hunting Cartridge, home defense
maybe.
@rdog I am not giving any opinion about effectiveness with FMJ ammunition of any cartridge that doesn't have approximately a 65% meplat. I'm just not going to swim up that stream.

I'm happy to believe that the soft point in the carbine is sufficient to accomplish many tasks. I have good, trusted insight on the 110 and 120gr TTSX and another load in the black out to have faith in it as well.

The suppressed subsonic expanding load is the area that I'm waiting to build a data set on. It's a niche that I am curious about. Unfortunately those with real world data on this are tight lipped.

@Forrest Halley
Come in spinner I knew that would get a bite. A 100 gn xpt in a 32-20 at 2,000 would be a better and cheaper killer than the 300 blk

I’ve hunted small varmints up to 300 lb mule deer with my .243, and not a single one walked away.
Now, granted, on antelope and deer, I waited for the picture perfect broadside textbook shot, using 100 gr bullets. Usually 100 - 250 yds away.
Hunting predators, like coyotes, here in the states, I’ve stretched those shots to 300 - 450 yds, and usually DRT, after they get done barrel-rolling.
Even with factory muzzle velocity being 2850 fps, it did the job I required of it, if I did my part with threading the bullet into the heart-lung area.

Hawk

@Forrest Halley
Come in spinner I knew that would get a bite. A 100 gn xpt in a 32-20 at 2,000 would be a better and cheaper killer than the 300 blk
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen sweet lil baby Jesus you Ozzie fruit bat...when are you ever going to learn?

Calibers other than your pets will also reign supreme.

I'll take my chances with an 80 gr TTSX at 3300 fps in a .243.
I'll figure out this subsonic thing too.

Haha you are an enjoyable nut although crazy as a loon.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen sweet lil baby Jesus you Ozzie fruit bat...when are you ever going to learn?

Calibers other than your pets will also reign supreme.

I'll take my chances with an 80 gr TTSX at 3300 fps in a .243.
I'll figure out this subsonic thing too.

Haha you are an enjoyable nut although crazy as a loon.
@Forrest Halley
I have learnt thru years of experience what works for me.
Are you using a 243/06 to get 3,300fps couse the 243 would be pushing to get 3,100.
Helps to be a crazy loon it keeps me sane
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kakuli375

Latest profile posts

Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek