Ted Nugent

Saul

AH elite
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, UK, Hungary, Argentina, Mexico
I was in a sort of heated debate in a record shop over Ted Nugent and it got me thinking of him. Later, I went to a gun shop and was browsing and chatting with the archery section guys and mentioned my fight over Ted. Thinking I would get support from these guys, I was shocked when they told me that they disposed the man. First of all, they told me that they think he sponsors subpar products on his show. Last time I checked, Matthews bows and GoldTip arrows aren't subpar. They also told me that they think he gives a bad name to hunters and gun owners everywhere by always making inflammatory comments about it on tv. Finally, they say that he is impossible to contact personally and only ever interacts with his fans if it is in some marketing event.
I just want to share by personal opinion of him. I loved Ted growing up and he is the reason why I started playing the guitar. I have seen him live maybe a dozen times and have a lot of signed records from him. I also watch Spirit of the Wild regularly. Saying that though, I do find some of his television antics about" sacred earth flesh" and other weird sayings a little hokey. I also disagree with about 90% of his opinions on gun control. Also, the allegations of his hunting law violations are troubling to say the least.
So what I'm basically getting at is what are your opinions of Ted Nugent? Do you think that celeberties like him, who claim to represent the hunters and gun owners in America, are causing people to dislike hunters? Do you also think that he is a premonition for how hunting is going an will soon just all become commercial marketing?
Sorry for the long post. I might just be rambling but I sort of wanted to get these ideas out there and talked about.

I do not follow Ted, but based on the tidbits I see - I have a favorable view of him. He is flamboyant at times and this probably causes non-hunters to take a strong side with or against him.

I personally have a fundamental view of the right to bear arms, so I appreciate seeing anyone with a voice in the media to take a firm stand against any talk of gun control/registration/limitations.

Has Ted ever made it to Africa?

I have watched a couple of his videos, the man is completely insane.

Having said that, he is also one of the people who will benefit our cause the most. Yes in some situations he will offend people greatly and do harm to our cause but his brutal honesty, and well spoken factual debates shed light and bring notoriety to our cause in a way that the silent majority never will.

Love him or hate him, he is standing up for what he believes in, in a way few ever will. You have to respect that kind of conviction.

I researched Mr. Nugent previously and found enough "data" to say he is not a person I would ever look to as a spokesman for any cause or product. Reports are he is a nice guy in person but his issues and "changing stories" bring question to my mind of his public image.

Check his history of how he avoided induction or did not serve in the military during the Vietnam war for starters.

Has Ted ever made it to Africa?

Ted and his extended family have hunted Africa many times. He was in camp with my wife and I at Limcroma Safaris with his wife and family filming for his "Spirit of the Wild" TV several years back. I won't go so far as to say I know him personally, but I did spend quite a bit of time with him chatting around the firepit in the evenings. I can tell you that he is quite a character to say the least. He is obviuosly outspoken, opinionated, and he does dominate a conversation....However, I will say that he is also very intelligent, and very likable. He is larger than life. From my brief experience, I really don't believe that his persona is an act. I think he is sincere in his beliefs, and he is the same guy on and off camera. His wife is very charming and intelligent as well. His sons are polite and articulate, though not nearly as political or outspoken as their father.

Overall, they were a pleasure to meet and share a camp with. I did see his son Rocco in camp at Limcroma again in 2011. He was there with some friends hunting. He was not with the family.

I have hunted with Ted a couple of times, also with Carmaine as well as his boy Rocco.

I was surprised at what a "tight" family they were when they hunted together... We need to remember that Ted has spent the better part of 2 decades creating an image... An Image which sells Ted...

And sells him effectively at that... Around a camp fire I found him entertaining and intelligent, especially while sipping a glass of Red Wine and chomping on Lamb Chops!!! (His FAVORITE) !! :)
I found conversations with him easy and on an even playing field, not dominating at all..

To be quite honest I enjoyed his company...

Not everyone will agree with him, I get that but in the balance of everything we do need someone, to just come out and say it the way it is...

As far as all the mystical crap goes, who cares it sells...

My best always.

I've never met Mr. Nugent, but truly believe that he isn't putting on an act. He has been the same since I've been aware of him. In high school the one teacher started an archery club. That's when I first was exposed to Nugent. This was in the early 90s. Back than he had slogans like "rack em and stack em", "kill em and grill em", whatever. He was controversial than, but he didn't have the exposure like he does now. People complain about his comments, which are just his beliefs and opinions, but most the times Ive seen him harvest an animal he is thankful. Not just for the opportunity for the hunt, but for the animal itself. I may not agree with everything he says or the way he says it, but he has done a lot for the hunting community, and stands by his convictions when the fire gets hot. I respect anyone who does that.

Ted is a hunter and a high-profile entertainer.

Those two realities are bound to get him a lot of scrutiny from folks looking to take him down.

He has a platform few of us will ever have, and I can honestly say I've never seen him back away from a controversy...at least not in the last 30 years or so.

As a former active duty Marine Infantryman, I am not going to hold what he did 45 years ago against him. He said it himself...he was a coward and a stupid kid and he is ashamed of what he did.

Good enough for me.

I'd be happy to share a camp with him. I am sure he could teach me plenty.

Tim

I researched Mr. Nugent previously and found enough "data" to say he is not a person I would ever look to as a spokesman for any cause or product. Reports are he is a nice guy in person but his issues and "changing stories" bring question to my mind of his public image.

Check his history of how he avoided induction or did not serve in the military during the Vietnam war for starters.
Agreed.

Those two realities are bound to get him a lot of scrutiny from folks looking to take him down.

He has a platform few of us will ever have, and I can honestly say I've never seen him back away from a controversy...at least not in the last 30 years or so.

As a former active duty Marine Infantryman, I am not going to hold what he did 45 years ago against him. He said it himself...he was a coward and a stupid kid and he is ashamed of what he did.

Good enough for me.

Tim
Have you forgiven Jane Fonda?

I was in a sort of heated debate in a record shop over Ted Nugent and it got me thinking of him. Later, I went to a gun shop and was browsing and chatting with the archery section guys and mentioned my fight over Ted. Thinking I would get support from these guys, I was shocked when they told me that they disposed the man. First of all, they told me that they think he sponsors subpar products on his show. Last time I checked, Matthews bows and GoldTip arrows aren't subpar. They also told me that they think he gives a bad name to hunters and gun owners everywhere by always making inflammatory comments about it on tv. Finally, they say that he is impossible to contact personally and only ever interacts with his fans if it is in some marketing event.
I just want to share by personal opinion of him. I loved Ted growing up and he is the reason why I started playing the guitar. I have seen him live maybe a dozen times and have a lot of signed records from him. I also watch Spirit of the Wild regularly. Saying that though, I do find some of his television antics about" sacred earth flesh" and other weird sayings a little hokey. I also disagree with about 90% of his opinions on gun control. Also, the allegations of his hunting law violations are troubling to say the least.
So what I'm basically getting at is what are your opinions of Ted Nugent? Do you think that celeberties like him, who claim to represent the hunters and gun owners in America, are causing people to dislike hunters? Do you also think that he is a premonition for how hunting is going an will soon just all become commercial marketing?
Sorry for the long post. I might just be rambling but I sort of wanted to get these ideas out there and talked about.
I know little of him besides what we all see and hear. I am largely a fan of him but not so much his type of music, though he is of course a master guitarist.
Saul, you say you disagree with 90 percent of his gun control views? He is pro 2nd Amendment all the way which makes me wonder about your views on the subject, more than his! I stand with Ted on the 2nd.

Good enough for me.

Tim

My issue isn't that he avoided a nasty, unnecessary and wasteful war, my issue is the various stories he has offered on how and why he did. There are other inconsistencies in other areas as well, it is the inconsistencies in his stories that are the issue.

And while I will not watch a Jane Fonda film to this day, at least she had the guts to acknowledge mistakes and apologize.

I re-read your comment, and I need to adjust mine. I have never seen or read where Mr. Nugent acknowledged his "errors" regarding his avoiding military service. If he, indeed, did so, then I can retract my position.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for your service in the Marines.

Karl
USAF
Vietnam 1969-70

Whether or not JF actually apologized is a matter of wide and varied opinion, some accept what she said others do not. I think her acts in Vietnam amount to treason, others will not think so. Certainly one cannot compare anything Ted has said or done to what JF did over there, in any way. Ted is a patriot,a loud, flamboyant, America loving patriot. JF was a loud America hating traitor in my view. It has nothing to do with whether or not Vietnam was a good idea or not, she went on enemy soil and bad mouthed her country's troops and her country, and in so doing gave aid and comfort to the enemy. That is treason. My opinion only.

Whether or not JF actually apologized is a matter of wide and varied opinion, some accept what she said others do not. I think her acts in Vietnam amount to treason, others will not think so. Certainly one cannot compare anything Ted has said or done to what JF did over there, in any way. Ted is a patriot,a loud, flamboyant, America loving patriot. JF was a loud America hating traitor in my view. It has nothing to do with whether or not Vietnam was a good idea or not, she went on enemy soil and bad mouthed her country's troops and her country, and in so doing gave aid and comfort to the enemy. That is treason. My opinion only.

Very well said and I absolutely agree 100%! She should have been charged and dealt with accordingly.

I know little of him besides what we all see and hear. I am largely a fan of him but not so much his type of music, though he is of course a master guitarist.
Saul, you say you disagree with 90 percent of his gun control views? He is pro 2nd Amendment all the way which makes me wonder about your views on the subject, more than his! I stand with Ted on the 2nd.

I knew that was going to be an inflammatory comment but I made it anyway. I disagree with what he has to say about the second Ammendment. While I am a huge supporter of the second, I believe in regulations. Just for your information, I concealed carry every day and support concealed carry. Where I differ from Mr. Nugent is that I believe that there should be background checks for purchasing guns, classes required to get a CCW, and waiting periods on guns. I DO NOT believe in gun registration, but I don't see anything wrong with stopping felons and Thr insane from buying guns by simply running a background check. I also believe in CCW classes just like how we all have hunter safety classes. Plus, I can't stand how Ted violates hunting laws all of the time, like when he killed that black bear without a tag. I LOVE his music and he is the reason why I started playing the guitar. I still have all of his old records signed by him. I just think he is way over the top when it comes to politics. Sort of like a conservative Bill Maher.

I knew that was going to be an inflammatory comment but I made it anyway. I disagree with what he has to say about the second Ammendment. While I am a huge supporter of the second, I believe in regulations. Just for your information, I concealed carry every day and support concealed carry. Where I differ from Mr. Nugent is that I believe that there should be background checks for purchasing guns, classes required to get a CCW, and waiting periods on guns. I DO NOT believe in gun registration, but I don't see anything wrong with stopping felons and Thr insane from buying guns by simply running a background check. I also believe in CCW classes just like how we all have hunter safety classes. Plus, I can't stand how Ted violates hunting laws all of the time, like when he killed that black bear without a tag. I LOVE his music and he is the reason why I started playing the guitar. I still have all of his old records signed by him. I just think he is way over the top when it comes to politics. Sort of like a conservative Bill Maher.
I see. So you are a conditional supporter of the 2nd Amendment, not a full supporter. You have taken the liberal position of wanting we the people to have to jump thru a bunch of stupid liberal hoops to exercise a Constitutional guarantee! Do you feel the same about all of our Rights or just the most important one, the 2nd Amendment. I say that because without it, the others are just paper. I totally disagree with your position on the 2nd, totally!

As to Uncle Ted, I think you are being a little hard on the guy. You say violates hunting laws ALL THE TIME. I have heard of the bear incident which was explained and paid for, but am not aware of any others, as I don't follow it closely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg