Teaser pic, guess whats coming soon to me!

Name that round, Winner gets bragging rights!

Been looking for some time, not many rifles around in the cartridge. Been watching one that was more than I wanted to spend, then he dropped the price a few times and landed where I could live with it. Should have in a week or so.

Will post up when I get it.
View attachment 524044
270 win or 280 rem.

Bob is on holiday, remember! Normal curmudgeon service will be resumed in about a fortnight:D.
I thought Bob was always on a Holiday being retired! He needs to respond in a halfnight! LOL

Not in my hands yet but its a German built 98 Mauser sporter from Frankonia... I once had a Frankonia rifle in 7x64 that I foolishly let get away.
Mauser-98-Frankonia-sporter-6-5-x-57_101881258_597_CA89D19ADD0277F2.jpg

IT looks like an 06 case a 280 rem or 7x64 is my best bet.?
LOL

But anyway... had a chance to shoot this beauty today and was not disappointed. Starting off with the S&B 130 gr load, took two shots to get center at 100, then put 3 more that were touching about a half inch away for 4 in sub inch.
First 4 of my handload using Hornagy 140 SST bullets did the same. Groups after that were not as tight but for a first shoot I couldnt be much happier. A guy at the range asked what the twist was but I didnt yet know. He figured it was likely 1-10, but I was hoping it would be quicker. When I got home I ran the tight patch test several times and came up with 1-8 which is standard for this cartridge.
Love the way it handles, light recoil and the Euro style buttstock puts me in line with a scope quickly.
I have some taller rings ordered for the Leupy bases it came with as the bolt handle wants to drag on the scopes bottom.
The rifle had been 'fitted' or nearly so with 1909 Argy bottom metal at some point, and the floorplate would not begin to open by pushing the lever at the front of the guard, not even!
So today after the range I have been dremeling that down on the latch so it will open without an act of Congress.
Neat rifle. Think I might just keep this one for a few weeks...LOL.

Getting very close to it now, taking a break. Getting down "to the short strokes" as my dad used to say, LOL.
Here is a few pics of markings and a pretty cool adjustable trigger by a top name. Stock is a darker, browner color than the pic shown earlier.
IMG_3401.JPG

IMG_3402.JPG

IMG_3403.JPG

IMG_3404.JPG

IMG_3405.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois