Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by Eeleel, Feb 17, 2018.

1. MAdcox

MAdcox GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC; DSCOK
    Hunted:
    Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, South Africa (Limpopo, Northern Cape)
    Ok @gizmo, got to give us the joke, never too late for an Obama joke!:S Oops::S Off Topic:

johnnyblues, ActionBob and gizmo like this.

2. Royal27

Royal27 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
    Great post and very true. The "savings" just seem to go away. It's kinda like buying a Chevy sedan and being totally happy with your decision and then six months later finding out you could have gotten a brand new Lexus at the same price. Oops....

Another thing you'll notice if you read a lot here is that many first timers use SA taxidermists. But the more times a guy has gone to Africa the less likely he seems to be to get taxidermy done over there. :E Hmmm:

johnnyblues, jeff and ActionBob like this.

3. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    Lol I don't remember it exactly. It was something about bungee jumping no strings attached. It actually wasn't my joke, I was just standing up for the person who said it after Ruger threw a temper-tantrum. It was in a hunt offer by one of our African PH's. I laughed my rear off, kinda one of those you'd have had to been there type deals.

rinehart0050 and johnnyblues like this.

4. Dragan N.

Dragan N. AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Another point worth mentioning is to shop around with US taxidermists. You can sometimes find taxidermists who are of the same caliber, yet what they charge for mounting a certain species maybe noticeably different.

As an example compare Rick Carter and Dennis Harris' price lists:

http://www.cartertaxidermy.com/cartertaxidermy_011.htm

http://www.artistryofwildlife.com/uploads/2/6/6/3/26634456/pice_list_na_.pdf

North American

Life size bison (Carter @ 6000 and Dennis @ 9500) or life size coastal brown bear (Carter @4500 vs. Dennis @ 6000).

African

Life size eland ( Carter @ 9750 vs. Dennis @ 11,500- 12,500). Life size giraffe or hippo (Carter @ 27K vs. Dennis @ 30K).

However for most shoulder mounts their prices are pretty close. Also for some life size too, i.e. a life size cape buffalo at both places is around 11,500.

I'd say these are a valid comparison as they are both world class taxidermists and also they mount all of the mounts that come into their studio personally. I would imagine that any differences in quality from both would be so small that to the untrained eye it would not be noticeable.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2018
    Royal27 likes this.

5. tedthorn

tedthorn AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Eastern Cape of South Africa
    Get it done here in the USA and use @The Artistry of Wildlife / Dennis Harris

There is nobody here that can match his quality.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2018

6. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
    Another excellent taxidermist isWes Goode of kanati taxidermy in PA. Has done work for me as well as other members here.

7. The Artistry of Wildlife

The Artistry of Wildlife SPONSOR Since 2014 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe,Botswana,Tajikastan, Mozambique, Zsmbia, South Africa, Canada, England, Kyrgyzstan
    LOL I'm friends with Rick... But my African Cape Buffalo shoulder mount is $$$$ 350 CHEAPER than his. 1950 vs 2300 ...LOL Guess I should raise my price.
    http://www.artistryofwildlife.com/uploads/2/6/6/3/26634456/price_list_aow_2015.pdf

90% my life size are custom rodded with make female slide pins on legs, not threaded rods that need nut and bolts. There is still a lot of difference in the mounts. And include mots of my custom alterations for pose. Only extreme alterations to life-size are really charged.

Attached Files:

8. Eeleel

Eeleel AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Thanks everyone on the comments, sorry to have opened old wounds. As to your comments I have a Wyoming antelope mounted by my guide, he said their goats differed from others. I concur this mount was excellent.
    My Colorado Muley mounted by the outfitters preferred ( as in connected ) stuffer accomplished just that he stuffed it poorly.
    I will bring my animals home.
    Thank you.

9. archerman

archerman AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Safari Club Int'l, Maya Archery Club
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA, South Africa
    Hi,

I have a guy here in California that is really an artist and particular about where the capes are sent to tannery in the states ... dowes not use local tanneries.

here is my kudu he did in 2013:

KuduMount.jpg

KuduSideMnt2.jpg

10. Cam Moon

Cam Moon AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    I'm wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with Umlini

11. Cam Moon

Cam Moon AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Sorry. It's Umlindi.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2018