Taxidermy recommendations for South Africa

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by Keith sheppard, Mar 2, 2019.

1. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
    Are some of you guys kidding? Respectably stated. We have beaten this issue so many times with so many "new members". The overall consensus is BRING IT HOME! Sir, taxidermy work is Africa is not very good PERIOD. You need to look at your trophies for the rest of your life , do it right the first time. There are several members here who do excellent taxidermy work. I speak from experience, had it done there once and never again. Feel free to PM me for details.

2. Ryan

Ryan AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Good work can be had there and here and the same could be said of bad work. @Hogpatrol and I both have had good work done over there. The key is good research and communication.Numzaan has a few lodges so please find out what area you'd be near and we may be able yo help you out.

WAB likes this.

3. WAB

WAB AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    I agree Ryan. Katerina at Nico van Royen wrote the taxidermy section in Peter FLACK’s buffalo book. Her work is outstanding. I would put the pedestal mount buffalo she did for me up against any buff mount I have seen. With all due respect, I think blanket statements that all African taxidermy is bad are simply incorrect.

Hogpatrol, Dewald and Ryan like this.

4. Newboomer

Newboomer GOLD SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

I use Karoo Taxidermy, highly recommended by SSI. I think Karoo is in Jansenville, RSA. I've used them twice with great results at reasonable cost. Dip and pack is the only way to go. You get your trophies shipped to your local taxidermist where you can discuss what you want face to face and have it done right. You save a lot on shipping, too. Much smaller crate and less weight. Work with SSI. They handle everything from the outfitter to your taxidermist and if there is a problem they will handle it.

NurseFet and WFet like this.

5. The Artistry of Wildlife

The Artistry of Wildlife SPONSOR Since 2014 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe,Botswana, Mozambique,South Africa, Canada, England, Kyrgyzstan
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and How much value they wish to put on their memories....Everyone has executable quality level and $$$ sometimes drives decisions later regretted in years to come. ITS NEVER the Company doing the work. ITS ALL ABOUT the guy putting it together. Unskilled low experienced $5.00 a day employee assembler or experienced taxidermy owner artist?

gizmo likes this.