Taxidermy recommendations for South Africa

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by Keith sheppard, Mar 2, 2019.

1. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
    Are some of you guys kidding? Respectably stated. We have beaten this issue so many times with so many "new members". The overall consensus is BRING IT HOME! Sir, taxidermy work is Africa is not very good PERIOD. You need to look at your trophies for the rest of your life , do it right the first time. There are several members here who do excellent taxidermy work. I speak from experience, had it done there once and never again. Feel free to PM me for details.

2. Ryan

Ryan AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Good work can be had there and here and the same could be said of bad work. @Hogpatrol and I both have had good work done over there. The key is good research and communication.Numzaan has a few lodges so please find out what area you'd be near and we may be able yo help you out.

WAB likes this.

3. WAB

WAB AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    I agree Ryan. Katerina at Nico van Royen wrote the taxidermy section in Peter FLACK’s buffalo book. Her work is outstanding. I would put the pedestal mount buffalo she did for me up against any buff mount I have seen. With all due respect, I think blanket statements that all African taxidermy is bad are simply incorrect.

Hogpatrol, Dewald and Ryan like this.

4. Newboomer

Newboomer GOLD SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

I use Karoo Taxidermy, highly recommended by SSI. I think Karoo is in Jansenville, RSA. I've used them twice with great results at reasonable cost. Dip and pack is the only way to go. You get your trophies shipped to your local taxidermist where you can discuss what you want face to face and have it done right. You save a lot on shipping, too. Much smaller crate and less weight. Work with SSI. They handle everything from the outfitter to your taxidermist and if there is a problem they will handle it.

NurseFet and WFet like this.

5. The Artistry of Wildlife

The Artistry of Wildlife SPONSOR Since 2014 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe,Botswana, Mozambique,South Africa, Canada, England, Kyrgyzstan
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and How much value they wish to put on their memories....Everyone has executable quality level and $$$ sometimes drives decisions later regretted in years to come. ITS NEVER the Company doing the work. ITS ALL ABOUT the guy putting it together. Unskilled low experienced $5.00 a day employee assembler or experienced taxidermy owner artist?

johnnyblues and gizmo like this.

6. ActionBob

ActionBob AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA life, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
    Dennis I think they had a couple minimum wage increases and are now paid closer to $12/day ;)

johnnyblues likes this.

7. The Artistry of Wildlife

The Artistry of Wildlife SPONSOR Since 2014 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe,Botswana, Mozambique,South Africa, Canada, England, Kyrgyzstan
    Everyone knows my view, Keep AMERICA WORKING. Spend your money on your hunts and support the PH and his people !! But when it comes to what you CAN get done at home spend it within OUR BORDERS ! My guys and myself earn a living wage, hunt and support hunting and enjoy it. I'll bet the farm NO TYPICAL EMPLOYEE of any african taxidermy studio hunts. They will never be able to at 1.50 an hour. Hundreds of MILLIONS of dollars are spent in Africa on taxidermy that is money that will never see the US again. Spend your money here in the US and it stays in the circle of the hunting industry.

chris mattson, johnnyblues and JimP like this.

8. johnnyblues

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    I was not making a blanket statement on African taxidermy but I think the smart money/move is to bring it home. As Dennis said 99% of these guys don't hunt and are making a meager living. I simply don't believe they care enough. Or have enough skills, of course you may find some but I ll be damned if I ever do it again. I did it on a what appears to be a former member's recommendation and a HIGH ONE AT THAT, but it would appear he a skin in the game on recommendations. Do yourself a favor just bring it home.

9. johnnyblues

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    QUITE well put!

10. Bruce

Bruce AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAGA/ Cape Hunters/ SA Hunters Association
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe/Zambia/ South Africa/ Botswana/ Tanzania
    Craig from BULLSEYE has done superb work for me in the passed..as has Lifeform.
    BUCK 'N BASS also does fantastic work.

11. Mort Hill

Mort Hill GOLD SUPPORTER AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member SCI, Director-Music City SCI Chapter, NWTF, NRA
    Hunted:
    SA, Zambia, Tanzania
    I have used a taxidermist in the US for all 7 of my past safaris. On my last father/son trip, I decided after many, many hours of research, to use Dennis and The Artistry of Wildlife. You might wonder why I would change taxidermist after years of using the same guys? Bad work? Not at all. All I can say is I was very happy with my previous taxidermist. But after correspondence with Dennis, the attention to detail, the obvious quality, workmanship, and the superior creativity(as seen on this site and his web page), I thought I could take my trophy mounts to the next level. I have some outstanding mounts. But for the money, I think Dennis’ work is over the top. While having not even begun the actual mounting process, his communication through the tanning process, assistance with a bum cape due to poor skinning/salting, have been exemplary. You may think this sounds like a paid endorsement, but it is not. Until I joined AH a few years ago, I had never even heard of Dennis. But I will say, if you want what I think will be one of the most realistic recreations of that special animal/animals you’ve hunted, just look at the pictures on this site of his detail and workmanship, and taking “lowest price” factor out of the equation, you could not possibly be disappointed. I can not wait to share pictures of his work on our trophies.

12. Newboomer

Newboomer GOLD SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Price should not be the deciding factor. Granted, it plays a part, but quality of workmanship is the major player. You have to live with what you get and if it doesn't look right it won't feel right. The old saying,"You get what you pay for " rings so true considering all the money, time and hard work that went into getting that trophy. You want to be happy and proud to display a work of art, not some slipshod hack job. Bring 'em home, keep the money and jobs in the USA and you have control of the work.

I did a lot of research here on AH reading taxidermy reports and viewing posts of several members. I checked out taxidermists in my area before I trusted my trophies to Animal Artistry in Reno. They are a little more expensive but if you have seen their exhibits at SCI conventions you can appreciate their craftsmanship. I have used them for my last two safaris and will use them again for my next hunt.

This is not a paid ad and I get nothing from it except great satisfaction from work well done.