Tanzania mountain buffalo

318AE

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Tanzania, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Namibia, RSA
I’m curious who here has hunted either Mt Gelai or Kitumbeing for buffalo, and if anyone has possibly hunted both. How do they compare? Which would you recommend and why? (I have hunted Gelai and the mountains on the west side of Natron, but never Kitumbeine).

Following this thread with interest!

Anyone here hunt Lossimingor?

I have not but were these locations covered in the mountain buffalo DVD series? I forget his name but I think it was a German PH. I'm away from home and can't check the DVD's. Awesome 4 DVD series on mountain cape buff hunting.

I have not but were these locations covered in the mountain buffalo DVD series? I forget his name but I think it was a German PH. I'm away from home and can't check the DVD's. Awesome 4 DVD series on mountain cape buff hunting.
Didn't Alain also hunt there?

Correct - Ranier Josch hunted Lossimingmor. I think that was quite some time ago, ten years or more, when Robin Hurt had the area (?). I think it has changed hands since. In the spirit of due diligence, I was hoping someone here had more recent experience, or ideally could compare across the areas.

Correct - Ranier Josch hunted Lossimingmor. I think that was quite some time ago, ten years or more, when Robin Hurt had the area (?). I think it has changed hands since. In the spirit of due diligence, I was hoping someone here had more recent experience, or ideally could compare across the areas.
Yes, the area is now being operated by Bushman Hunting Safaris LTD, with Mike Fell. He is very excited about Burko's future. Rainer Josch is still guiding on Mt. Lossimingor, though. He never stopped.

Here was an incredible buffalo guided by PH Mini Trappe, on Burko Mountain (note that these images were already shared publicly on social media, I have decided to blur the faces just in case):

Huge buffalo-Burko Mountain, Tanzania (1).jpeg

Huge buffalo-Burko Mountain, Tanzania (2).jpeg

Huge buffalo-Burko Mountain, Tanzania (3).jpeg

Huge buffalo-Burko Mountain, Tanzania (4).jpeg

Huge buffalo-Burko Mountain, Tanzania (5).jpeg

Huge buffalo-Burko Mountain, Tanzania (6).jpeg

Huge buffalo-Burko Mountain, Tanzania (7).jpeg

Mt. Kitumbeine is now being operated by Robin Hurt Safaris. Kilombero North Safaris have had fantastic success in that area before. Note that the buffalo on Kitumbeine are of their own genetic stock, with heavy, ox-like fur and narrower spreads. That said, some real tanks have been taken on that mountain.

Last edited:
I’m curious who here has hunted either Mt Gelai or Kitumbeing for buffalo, and if anyone has possibly hunted both. How do they compare? Which would you recommend and why? (I have hunted Gelai and the mountains on the west side of Natron, but never Kitumbeine).
Have hunted Kitumbeine before as an apprentice under Jack Brittingham's Tanzania Wildlife Adventures back in 2011. Not much has changed I believe and the concession is now under Robin Hurt since January. The hunting is typical mountain hunting done entirely on foot and shooting is often at close quarters. I've not hunted Gelai or Loosimingor so I can't really compare but from Rainer's videos of Loosimingor hunting, It's not that different. Kitumbeine has a large crater that we loved to stalk in the early morning in the hopes of finding Buffalo grazing at the bottom after the mist clears. I hated the stinging nettles though!

I have hunted both Burko and Lossimingor with Robin Hurt safaris. Burko does not have many buffalo and they are confined to the patches of forest on Burko mountain.We were there over the month of December and were fortunate to find the buffalo on the lower slopes where they were feeding on the lush grass after good rains in November. Lossimingor is the ultimate buffalo hunting experience. There is a large population of buffalo in the cloud forests and we hunted them for 10 days on a foot safari - no roads and you walk between 12 and 15 kilometers a day. My son and myself both shot really old bulls and I can recommend the hunt to any avid buffalo hunter provided he is fit. The Tanzanian government keeps changing the border between the Mto Wa Mbu and Burko concessions so it’s best to check with the outfitter. Rainer Josch still operates there.

Rainer Josch still works there? Interesting...I have sent him several messages through his email/website over the last few years with no response. I thought maybe he had retired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdetteBlam

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you