Taking a skull in checked-in luggage to the UK

georgewatkinson

Reaction score
Hi there - I am hoping someone on here can please help:

I have been hunting in RSA and I am keen to take my cleaned and boiled Blesbok skull home as a trophy, however, I am on a budget and I don't want to pay for shipping. Do you know if I am allowed to put the skull in my checked luggage and take it home that way?

Thanks so much in advance!

I have taken a few warthog tusks to Spain in my luggage, properly cleaned, without any problems. I suppose I was just lucky.

Now, a skull could get into problems with SA, as you need a veterinary certificate and an export license, I have no idea about requirements in the UK.

I’ve brought warthog tusks (cleaned and boiled) back into the UK in hold luggage. I’ve brought deer skulls (cleaned and boiled) from Poland in hood luggage too into the UK. I don’t think the UK will be an issue (I rarely if ever see customs people to check bags at Heathrow anyway). Not sure what the rules in SA would be like. I imagine you can buy a skin / skull / horn at any shop / market in SA as a tourist and fly home with it. So, if you’re prepared to risk it being taken off you, why not try?

They are selling all kinds finished products like skulls, skins etc.. at the JNO after customs.
You can buy them and carry with you on to the plane.
It should not be a problem for your Blesbok.
I'm surprise you're hunting right now in the rainy and terribly warm season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trevor southam

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.