Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
IMG_5205.jpg

Takeri Private Reserve is located on the Kafue river, approximately 100km north west of the Kafue National Park in central Zambia, Africa. The ranch is on 8,000 acres of pristine land, 12km of fencing run on one section of the reserve, with approximately 16 km of Kafue river frontage making up the main boundary. There are no internal fences and no commercial farming takes place on the property.

full

full

full

The vegetation is predominantly Miombo woodland and Brachystegia forest with extensive Dambos and flood plains along the river. We have one dam and excellent fishing. Six herds of Sable roam freely, around 140 in total. Other species found are Defassa Waterbuck, Kafue Lechwe, Common Duiker, Blue Duiker, Bushbuck, Puku, Reedbuck, Zebra, Eland, Warthog, jackal, and smaller mammals such as Honey Badger and Serval. We have abundant bird-life and this includes the elusive Pels fishing owl and Rose’s Laurie to name just a few. Development started 8 years ago with the reintroduction of endemic species to the area with Sable being the main focus.

full

full

The Lodge
The lodge consists of a dining room and lounge and bar area, both with indoor fireplaces to keep you warm in the winter months, and an outside veranda for breakfast and brunches. Guest accommodation is in a separate en-suite chalet, well decorated and comfortable. Our aim is to create a warm atmosphere and attend to individual needs.

full

Takeri is a privately owned reserve owned by Mike Taylor and Patsy Hahn. Being a private reserve we set our own quotas, and all of our animals are under a certificate of ownership from ZAWA.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Screenshot (45).png

Takeri is located in the Copperbelt Province in Zambia. The closest town being Mpongwe – which is 50 km from us.

Getting to Takeri:
Via air – We can arrange a charter flight for you. This can depart from either Lusaka or Ndola. You would either land at the Zambeef Mpongwe farms or Kafue River Lodge. Here we would collect you and the driving time to Takeri is approximately 1.5 hours

Road Transfer – We can either collect you in Lusaka or Ndola

Travelling time – Lusaka – Takeri – between 5 -6 hours

Route driven – Lusaka – Kabwe – Kapiri Mposhi – 40 km past Kapiri Mposhi there is a tar road on your left that takes you to Mpongwe

Ndola – Takeri – approximately 3.5 hours

Route driven – Ndola – Luanshya – Mpongwe

Directions from Mpongwe to Takeri;

(Distance 50 km – travel time approx. 1.5 hours)

Travel through Mpongwe on the tar road towards zambeef farms.

The tar road ends and carry straight on this road (do not turn towards zambeef)

After about 10 km you will come to a village – Katatama – and you will see a sign for St Anthony mission on your right – take this road right.

Carry on this road until you come to a grain shed on your left and just before the shed there is a road to the left – take this road (if you go too far you will arrive at the mission)

Keep on this road until it comes to a fork – (Jehovah witness church on your right) take the right hand fork

Keep on this road until you come to a field with pivots – keep right around the field and as you circle half way around you will see a sharp bend to your right – take this road right.

Keep on this road – it goes over a bad bridge and becomes a track – keep straight and you will eventually see a road to your left with a silver arrow on the tree – take this road left and keep straight until you come to the game fence and follow this to our gate and we are based just inside the fence.

Due to travelling times we recommend that you overnight in Lusaka after your flight in (any flights landing after 11.30 am) On your return again we would suggest an overnight in Lusaka unless the flight is in the late afternoon.

full

full

full

full

full

Accommodation at Takeri Game Reserve

At Takeri we invite you into our home, furnished with items collected from our travels; Persian rugs, wooden doors from the desert in Dubai, carved wood and lamps from Zanzibar and a unique bar built by Patsy and Tinus.

Takeri is nestled on the banks of the Kafue River surrounded by indigenous trees and bush, abundant with wildlife.

At present we have one en-suite chalet for our guests accommodating up to three, so expect a very personal service during your visit. And whilst you are with us enjoy all the home comforts; relax in our guest lounge with it’s bar and cosy fireplace, or on warm evenings soak up the atmosphere with drinks while dinner is prepared and served outdoors around the fire pit or on the veranda.

Also available are two safari tents with en-suite facilities overlooking the Kafue river.

At Takeri we provide a high standard of catering and any special dietary requirements can be catered for, but do please give us advance notice as we only go shopping once a month.

Bar – We offer a fully stocked bar but if there is anything special you would like please give us advance notice so we can stock this for you.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Hunting With Takeri Game Reserve

full

The reserve is run by Patsy, a qualified professional hunter (PH) – licenced under PHAZ and ZAWA. She has over 20 years experience in tourism, having built and owned/run camps in the lower Zambezi and Luangwa Valley. She is also qualified in the chemical and physical capture of wildlife. She is involved in the daily running of Takeri and will be your PH. Patsy can also arrange hunts at several other game destinations around Zambia.

Hassan will be your tracker. he has over ten years experience, many of these obtained in the Luangwe Valley. His tracking skills are excellent and he has been part of the team helping the hunter get the trophy of a lifetime.

Afunika is our skinner. With over thirty years experience he will ensure your trophy is prepared to perfection.

We have several other staff members who will be on hand to ensure we can cater for your individual needs.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Safaris are normally conducted following the traditional style of walk and stalk and although we make use of fully equipped safari vehicles we adhere to the old hunting traditions, without compromising success. Safaris are tailor-made to suit individual needs. The Kafue riverbank and miombo woodland and forests offers some of the finest hunting on foot.
The ultimate adventure is only for those who enjoy the rigors of walking and the thrill of the chase. Hunts are conducted in flat terrain with numerous anthills, miombo, brachystegia forest and dambo’s or flood plains. Altitude is 1,100 meters.

Your camp looks very comfortable sir! I have heard and read nothing but good reports on the operation! The animals people have taken and reported on have always been very nice. I really like the picture above with the eland!

Do you anticipate hacking out a runway for the property at some point In The future?

Mike,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think SAA (Airlink) flies into Ndola from Joburg, don't they? It seems that might be the best option, giving a hunter a 3-1/2 hour drive to your camp. A hunter could overnight in Joburg and catch the morning flight to Ndola. This would also save the expense of a charter flight.

Dave

In spite of the well deserved abuse I sporadically suffer from the fearless leader of this excellent looking lodge / land holding, or perhaps because of the abuse, Takeri is on my bucket list.

Not sure if I will make it there or not before I croak nonetheless, Takeri is definitely high on my list.

I have a splendid little Mauser, built on the FN 1950's Commercial action, caliber 9.3x62 that I'd dearly love to bring there (to show Mike what a proper gentleman's hunting rifle is supposed to look like).

I REALLY enjoyed my time at Takeri last year. It was a good time with good food and GREAT people. It is comfortable and I felt safe while there. It is really back in the boonies! Some great animals to hunt there. I'll add a couple of pics.... Bruce
P1070326.JPG
P1070220.JPG

Spike,
I must make it to your place in the near future, looks wonderful! Bar looks quite inviting and would love to try it on for size.
Cheers,
Cody

I just love looking at all those dreamy sable.

Do you anticipate hacking out a runway for the property at some point In The future?

hi charlie no we arent going to put a strip in, as by the time you have cleared the strip and safety area around it becomes too large an area and to me would be an eyesore. there is a strip approx 1.5 hours away we can use though.

Mike,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think SAA (Airlink) flies into Ndola from Joburg, don't they? It seems that might be the best option, giving a hunter a 3-1/2 hour drive to your camp. A hunter could overnight in Joburg and catch the morning flight to Ndola. This would also save the expense of a charter flight.

Dave

yup dave you are correct. i think there are 3 flights a day with the earliest dept joburg OR Tambo at 8.30am arr ndola at 11am. @PeteG uses it regularily so prob knows the schedule better than i do.

Very nice looking place with lots of fine game! Another I need to add to my bucket list!

In spite of the well deserved abuse I sporadically suffer from the fearless leader of this excellent looking lodge / land holding, or perhaps because of the abuse, Takeri is on my bucket list.

Not sure if I will make it there or not before I croak nonetheless, Takeri is definitely high on my list.

I have a splendid little Mauser, built on the FN 1950's Commercial action, caliber 9.3x62 that I'd dearly love to bring there (to show Mike what a proper gentleman's hunting rifle is supposed to look like).

Mr VD would love you to bring that 9.3x62 over so i can check it out. :D Beers:

yup dave you are correct. i think there are 3 flights a day with the earliest dept joburg OR Tambo at 8.30am arr ndola at 11am. @PeteG uses it regularily so prob knows the schedule better than i do.
Yeah, at least 2 flights each day arriving and departing Ndola to Jhb. Its definitely a good option and the road to Takeri from Ndola is quite a bit shorter!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg