Swift A Frame Accuracy

There is a new thread on AH titled Bullet Performance Data Base (https://www.africahunting.com/threads/bullet-performance-database.37971/). Please post your experience with NPs on the Zebra and other animals providing you have "data" on them. I think a good number of AH reloaders would be interested in the failure you had.

I'll dig up the pics and try to post tonight. There was a typo in my post above. Retained weight of the lead piece was 77 grains, not 47.

Great shooting off the sticks (bipod) Catahoula! The A Frame is certainly a tougher bullet than the Partition- I kinda view them as a Partition on steroids. My experience with the 8 Mag, in a past life, is that it requires a tough bullet. I would think you are good to go with the A Frame with no worries about performance….. accuracy and proven performance equals confidence! The only first-hand experience I have with the A Frame is on Cape Buffalo with the 416 400gr bullet- excellent accuracy and performance. At high impact velocity (close range) on tough tissue or bone with the 8 Mag, I would expect the only thing that might happen with the A Frame would be similar to the "normal" Partition performance at slightly lower vels…. where the front blows off with the rear "pellet" continuing on.

Last edited:
Good shooting with the Big 8. I don't run across too many of them. I've only shot Nosler factory ammo with 200 gr AccuBonds in mine and it won't group near that tight. I'm saving my brass and have some 220 gr Sierra Game Kings I want to use. I'd like to get my hands on some of those 220 gr A-Frames for an Alaska brown bear hunt I'm planning for the not-to-distant future.

For more accurate shots use CDP from blaser 12,7 grams
I'm using 8x68s for almost 7 seasons
First place from bullets is CDP, second place Brenneke Tog 14,2 grams and third place is norma swift a frame in 13 grams
CDP and saf same point of impact
4 place sax ammo kjg copper bullet excelent

Good shooting with the Big 8. I don't run across too many of them. I've only shot Nosler factory ammo with 200 gr AccuBonds in mine and it won't group near that tight. I'm saving my brass and have some 220 gr Sierra Game Kings I want to use. I'd like to get my hands on some of those 220 gr A-Frames for an Alaska brown bear hunt I'm planning for the not-to-distant future.

The sierras shot very well in my rifle, but I wanted to use the A frames as they are much tougher. I really haven't found anything that doesn't give me good hunting accuracy out of my rifle. Good luck on the bear hunt!

With Swift a frame you must shoot on the bones area otherwise the bullet will go like a laser in the animal and will run away a lot
If is heating the bones area the animal will go down like a towel
I have to brown bears shoots with Swift a frame both on the neck base area drop like the towel

With Swift a frame you must shoot on the bones area otherwise the bullet will go like a laser in the animal and will run away a lot
If is heating the bones area the animal will go down like a towel
I have to brown bears shoots with Swift a frame both on the neck base area drop like the towel

I am in Africa now and have used the a frame on a wildebeest and a blesbok. Performance has been spectacular. I hit the blesbok just above the shoulder. The bullet passed through completely leaving a one inch hole on the exit. The animal traveled no more than 5 yards before piling up. The one bullet that was recovered from the wildebeest expanded to twice its initial diameter and penetrated well. I think that they do the job even if bone is not hit.

I have used A-Frames on 2 trips to Africa (also in the USA) and my daughter has used them here in the USA and Africa. Not all shots have hit bone and we have not had trouble with the animal running off. Most have dropped on the spot or within 5 yards. A couple ran 40-80 yards and they had a blown up heart and lungs. Each ran into a tree or big thorn bush. They were dead running.
Have also used their Scirocco bullets with excellent results. We have used both of them in 257R/25-06/257W/7-08/7Rem mag/30-06/300win mag/338win mag
Truth is I try to take out a shoulder when hunting with any bullet. It just does not always happen.

This is a 220 grain 8mm a frame recovered from a red hartebeest this morning. I don't have any complaints.
IMG_4445.JPG
IMG_4444.JPG

Has anyone had any luck with the Swifts at long range? I tried Swift A-Frames and Sciroccos in a 6.5x47 Lapua, a 6.5-.284 and a 26 Nosler. These rifles shoot 1/2 moa or less at 500 meters with Berger bullets. I did not get the same results with the Swifts.

I have taken game out to 300 yds with A-frames with no problems. The bullet was not design for much after that distance like the bergers were. A frames are one of the best from that 0 to 300 yd range I think and work well when used right.

Has anyone had any luck with the Swifts at long range? I tried Swift A-Frames and Sciroccos in a 6.5x47 Lapua, a 6.5-.284 and a 26 Nosler. These rifles shoot 1/2 moa or less at 500 meters with Berger bullets. I did not get the same results with the Swifts.

If the A-Frames will shoot well in your rifle at 100 yards then they will shoot well to any reasonable range you might shoot while hunting. Even with a 20 mph crosswind at 500 yards the difference in drift between a 140 grain Swift and the 140 grain Berger is only about 6" with about 5" less dropped when fired at the same velocity. The Berger is not a hunting bullet either and really doesn't have a place in hunting other than small, thin skinned game, IMO.

I use them in my .338 WM, excellent performance on animals.
what grain bullet? i am working on a load for my new 340 WBY and planning to use either 250gr tsx or 250gr A-Frame.

what grain bullet? i am working on a load for my new 340 WBY and planning to use either 250gr tsx or 250gr A-Frame.

Remington 225gr. Swift AFrame

I also use Norma 230gr. Oryx

And reload 200gr. Speer SP with a french powder, which I suppose you don´t have in the states. Good pig medicine !

430 m last sezon 2 black goats
Africa this month black w at 410 m , common redbuck 250m, blue w at 375 m all shoots in my 8x68s saf 13 grams

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KimProbst1

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.