Swarovski STS-65 spotting scope

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
We just got back from elk hunting and my son noted that he could have put good use to a spotting scope. I reviewed a few and ordered the Swarovski STS-65 20-60x. I'm hoping it will work well for him. I've had other Swarovski products and found them to be very good. What do you think?

We just got back from elk hunting and my son noted that he could have put good use to a spotting scope. I reviewed a few and ordered the Swarovski STS-65 20-60x. I'm hoping it will work well for him. I've had other Swarovski products and found them to be very good. What do you think?
They are worth their money.
Krish

I have that exact scope. Love it!

A friend of mine has it and I used it once.
The optics is great. The only arguable feature is the difficult aiming to the wanted spot. The body shape does not help.

That’s an excellent piece of kit. Personally, I have moved away from spotting scopes to Swarovski 15x56 bino’s on a tripod. They don’t have the magnification, but they are much better for long periods behind the glass.

A good spotting scope saves a bunch of hiking.

I have the same scope, like @WAB i primary use 15x56 Swaro on tripod but use the spotter to save me some miles when deciding if an animal is worth the effort. Great piece of glass to have handy

I have the same spotter. Hardly never need it but when I do I have it.

I’ve got a swaro spotting scope and love it. One thing to consider is the straight vs angled eyepiece. I find the straight better for the truck window and angled better off a tripod.

I have moved away from spotting scopes to Swarovski 15x56 bino’s on a tripod..
I considered that, but he has a West German Zeiss 10x40 bino for long duration glassing. the spotting scope is to determine if an animal is legal. Where we hunt we are limited to "true spike" elk. If the elk has a fork that is one inch long at the end of one of the spikes it is classified as branch antler and is not legal. Seeing a one inch piece of antler at several hundred yards is near impossible- which brings into question the sanity of the regulators who implemented the law, but that's another issue.
One thing to consider is the straight vs angled eyepiece.
I also considered that aspect. I have an old Gitzo tripod from my days with large format photography. It weighs about 30 pounds, extends to six feet and is solid even in a brisk wind. So even when he is in a standing position he can view through it on the same plane as the viewed object.

THANKS for all the comments!!

Reactions: WAB
I have both German Made Zeiss Rubber armored 10 X 40s and 15 X 56 Swaro SLCs and for glassing Coues deer - even at a good distance - the Swaros are better. Most serious hunters here in AZ use the binos over spotters. The Zeiss glasses are an excellent general purpose hunting glass.

I have considered a compact spotter, but I can only carry so much gear in the mountains.

I also have a BOG carbon fiber tripod and a set of Trigger Sticks. I prefer the Trigger Sticks for holding the heavy Swaro glasses - they are light, set up quickly, and are stable enough for glassing the country I hunt. AND... I can stand with the Swaros at eye level to glass - the tripod is too damn short!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoniaMedla

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.