Swarovski EL v. NL

Ryan Brown

AH senior member
Reaction score
I am thinking about upgrading my binoculars as my Christmas present to myself. Has anyone compared the NLs to the ELs in the field? Are the NLs worth the additional funds?

Reactions: FLC
I had SLC 10x42 and nl 10x42 side by side on tripods this weekend and the NL is noticeably better edge to edge, FOV, and brightness. I own the SLC’s and a buddy has the NL’s....my wife looked through them and said she is buying the NL..

Will they be for hunting purposes? Any reason not to get a pair with the rangefinder included? I’ve used the EL range for 3 seasons now. Having the rangefinding feature is very helpful for me.

Yes there is a noticeable difference in size, weight and clarity of lens.
But for the is it worth the price difference? All up to the buyer. We still sell more EL than NL.
Happy to quote you price if you want. Just PM me.

Will they be for hunting purposes? Any reason not to get a pair with the rangefinder included? I’ve used the EL range for 3 seasons now. Having the rangefinding feature is very helpful for me.
Yes, I will use them for hunting. I currently have a Leica CRF 1000 that I have been quite happy with for years. It is very light and, I hardly ever notice I'm carrying it. I have a hard time justifying an extra $2k to put the rangefinder in the binos. but, I have thought about it quite a bit.

I have been running Leica Duovid 8+12x42 for several years. I find they do a little bit better than the Els in terms of light gathering but, the ELs a slightly better in clarity.

I moved from EL 10x42s to NL 12x42s. Weight and ergonomics go to the NL. Clarity…they’re both so good it doesn’t matter. I am a mountain hunter primarily, I live in the Rockies so the 12s are very advantageous when I don’t want to live with a spotter. Glassing at long distances the lighter weight and 20% mag increase is nice.

I still have the ELs as backup/loaners and for the $2K they sell for new now they’re quite the bargain.

Swarovski binos are truly a lifetime purchase, I have never regretted any of their products and I have quite a lot.

I am thinking about upgrading my binoculars as my Christmas present to myself. Has anyone compared the NLs to the ELs in the field? Are the NLs worth the additional funds?
It has been said that the NL Pure are the best glass on the market. I think for hunting the EL Range are more practical although you give up a tiny bit of glass quality.

I decided a couple years ago that I had enough money invested in rifles and shifted my attention to binoculars. I've always used mid-level priced bins, perhaps arguably somewhat skewed to the lower end. And I'd still argue that most of the time those binos did the job for a lot less than the higher end versions.

But nonetheless, I decided to move up. I got what I felt was a great deal at either SCI or DSC from EuroOptic on a pair of ELs. This is when the NLs were first available and it seemed like maybe the EL version was on it's way out.

Now inside a convention hall is really not the best place to try out binoculars. But what could I do, I tried both out and could not see much if any difference between the two. This is to not say under the right conditions that you wouldn't see it. I hummed over it and was back and forth to their booth. In talking with the sales guy however, it seemed like he was almost saying that based on the price difference, because they had the EL on sale, that it wasn't worth the difference.

I just looked it up, they still have a good sale on the EL going on. The difference is nearly $1400 with the sale price. It would only be about $700 if comparing full to full prices. So I think I'd still argue that for the price, the EL is a better buy even if the glass isn't the absolute best that Swarovski has to offer.

Hopefully this link will stay posted, but you can see their prices here:

My company owner, who owns the best of everything hunting related, told me that the NL is exceedingly better than the EL. I guess that means if you have the EL, you have the Ferrari. If you have the NL, you have the Bugati. Both far better than the Chevrolet, but it’s your money Phil.

My company owner, who owns the best of everything hunting related, told me that the NL is exceedingly better than the EL. I guess that means if you have the EL, you have the Ferrari. If you have the NL, you have the Bugati. Both far better than the Chevrolet, but it’s your money Phil.

Don't think I'll be selling my EL pair anytime soon for the NL. Just offering my experience and what I found was right for me. It's up to the OP to decide what is best for his money, I certainly won't argue with his decision whatever it may be.

I had 10x 42 EL's, sold them and got 12 x 42 NL's. Yes, there is a difference, but not a significant amount to my eyes. Best would be to try both side by side and see which work best for your eyes.

When it comes down to hunting situations I doubt that you'll be able to tell the difference.

Now if you are a birder and want to see what color or how large that finches nostrils are then get the NL's, but other than that the EL's work quite fine.

But if you have the money to go to the latest and the best then get the NL's. But what are you going to do when they come out with some better ones?

The only difference from ELs to Nls seems to be size, weight and field of view.

The only difference from ELs to Nls seems to be size, weight and field of view.
The ergonomics are much better, the field of view of the 12x is practically the same as the 8.5 el and the glass is absolutely amazing. I have both and the 12x PUR have to be held and used to truly appreciate

Also worth taking a look through the Zeiss Victory binos. I was a dedicated Swaro user until taking a look through a friend’s Zeiss. The Zeiss were ordered the very next week and the Swaros EL’s went to ebay.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hattie05G

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.