Still worth buying a 338 WinMag if I own a 375?

I've lately been drawn to the 338WM as a more long range option for taking elk-sized game. I already own a 375H&H, is the 338WM unique enough to own as well?

it looks like the 375 produces about 10% more muzzle energy and while a flat shooter, is outperformed by the 338s higher BCs the further you reach out.

would you pick up a rifle in 338WM if you currently owned a 375?
Absolutely, and I own a rifle in both calibers. I find my .338 Winchester Magnum is noticeably flatter shooting than my .375 H&H (though I've no complaints regarding the .375's trajectory for many of my hunting requirements), and the .338 is usually available in a lighter rifle. In my opinion, the .338 bridges the gap between the various .30 caliber rifles and the .375 better than any of the .300 Magnums. Since acquiring my .338, my .300 Weatherby Magnum doesn't see much use. On my last safari, I used my .375 H&H exclusively and it performed wonderfully; for my next safari in June 2025, I'm bringing my .338, as I want good penetration with a flatter trajectory at the longer ranges that I expect to encounter on this hunt. And of course, the .338 is arguably the finest elk cartridge on the planet.

My 7 1/2 lb Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby with a 24" barrel, synthetic stock and Trinyte metal, is light, weather resistant and accurate. It shoots 300g A-Frames or Partitions at 2800 fps (factory ammo or handloads). It shoots flatter and hits harder than a 338 Win Mag
The 375 Weatherby is a fantastic cartridge for anyone traveling the world hunting anything.

Absolutely, and I own a rifle in both calibers. I find my .338 Winchester Magnum is noticeably flatter shooting than my .375 H&H (though I've no complaints regarding the .375's trajectory for many of my hunting requirements), and the .338 is usually available in a lighter rifle. In my opinion, the .338 bridges the gap between the various .30 caliber rifles and the .375 better than any of the .300 Magnums. Since acquiring my .338, my .300 Weatherby Magnum doesn't see much use. On my last safari, I used my .375 H&H exclusively and it performed wonderfully; for my next safari in June 2025, I'm bringing my .338, as I want good penetration with a flatter trajectory at the longer ranges that I expect to encounter on this hunt. And of course, the .338 is arguably the finest elk cartridge on the planet.
I agree. Now, if we could just find some REASONABLY priced brass and factory ammo that didn't cost way more than the equivalent in .375 Holland and Holland, we'd be set.

I shot my biggest moose with a 270 Winchester and 150 Grand Slam bullets. He was dead within 50 yards. The one in my avatar was shot with the same receipe. Dead within a few steps. I've also shot moose with .50 caliber ML, 30-06, 300WM and 3 with the .338WM. All good moose killers. In a month, I'll hunt with my 375, because the rifle will make me dream of Cape Buffalo.

1- Shot placement is the key;
2- Foot pounds will never compensate for marginal hits.
3- The fun about shooting a heavier caliber is that you'll get a bigger entrance and sometime an exit hole, wich help leaving a proper bloodtrail.
4- Use a bigger gun ONLY if you can shoot it as well as your 7-08, 308, 30-06 or your 270.

I shot my biggest moose with a 270 Winchester and 150 Grand Slam bullets. He was dead within 50 yards. The one in my avatar was shot with the same receipe. Dead within a few steps. I've also shot moose with .50 caliber ML, 30-06, 300WM and 3 with the .338WM. All good moose killers. In a month, I'll hunt with my 375, because the rifle will make me dream of Cape Buffalo.

1- Shot placement is the key;
2- Foot pounds will never compensate for marginal hits.
3- The fun about shooting a heavier caliber is that you'll get a bigger entrance and sometime an exit hole, wich help leaving a proper bloodtrail.
4- Use a bigger gun ONLY if you can shoot it as well as your 7-08, 308, 30-06 or your 270.
Sometimes I think we’re hunting game with cartridges way over what’s actually required. Nothing wrong with that, but I KNOW if I were to hunt elk with one of my CZs at some 2lbs heavier than my Browning .338 in the mountains, I’d be cursing the rifle AND a Cape Buffalo hunt if I were ever fortunate to hunt one. LOL

Wow, that is LIGHT. Scoped? Either way, probably not as much FUN as my Browning A Bolt .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM! LOL

Yes scoped unloaded. Recoil is not bad at all. I think the synthetic stock is soft and soaks up some of the recoil. Then again when I go to the range I shoot the 500 Jeffery four or five times then move down to the 375 Weatherby. 2-7x Leupold Firedot scope, NECG open sights.

usomoEO.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep hearing that the 338 and even some 300WM actually kicks harder than the 375s. I'm guessing that comes down to rifle weight and stock design.

And the fact that those 2 magnums recoil back at greater speeds than the 375.

it still seems backwards to me.
Recoil is a very subjective matter, and everyone seems to feel it differently. Much depends on stock design, fit, and appropriate rifle weight. My .338 Win Mag has less felt recoil than my .375 H&H, but the difference is that the .338's recoil impulse is a bit "faster" if that makes any sense. The .375 has heavier recoil, but it seems more "prolonged" to me. My .338 weighs approximately 2.0 lbs. less than my .375.

Recoil is a very subjective matter, and everyone seems to feel it differently. Much depends on stock design, fit, and appropriate rifle weight. My .338 Win Mag has less felt recoil than my .375 H&H, but the difference is that the .338's recoil impulse is a bit "faster" if that makes any sense. The .375 has heavier recoil, but it seems more "prolonged" to me. My .338 weighs approximately 2.0 lbs. less than my .375.
Same here. My Browning .338 is "snappier" than my CZ .375, but then again it's lighter. When hunting it doesn't matter because I (and probably most others) don't feel the increased recoil anyway.

The 375 will do everything the 338 Winchester mag will do and more with proper bullet selection. It's the full length case so it will perform quite well to Great distance with the proper ammo and gear. That said I love 338 caliber bullets but I like larger cased renditions that really shine at distance. The 338 win mag is actually one of the lowest velocity and most factory ammo is sub Magnum 2800 feet per second etc. It's not magic. Get one with 10 to 30 additional grains of powder and you will believe in magic! I have an issue with the case not the .338 caliber ballistics it's rather perfect!

The 300 win mag is probably the best rendition of that sized trimmed down 375 case. The 338 velocity is watered down and the long range effectiveness reduced with larger bullets, and thus the 375 loses nothing and is a Slayer to 300 to 500 yards depending upon bullet selection and intended game.

The 375 will do everything the 338 Winchester mag will do and more with proper bullet selection. It's the full length case so it will perform quite well to Great distance with the proper ammo and gear. That said I love 338 caliber bullets but I like larger cased renditions that really shine at distance. The 338 win mag is actually one of the lowest velocity and most factory ammo is sub Magnum 2800 feet per second etc. It's not magic. Get one with 10 to 30 additional grains of powder and you will believe in magic! I have an issue with the case not the .338 caliber ballistics it's rather perfect!
The problem with the larger cased .338s is the recoil. Not many AVERAGE HUNTERS can handle the recoil of a .338WM+ in an 8.5 scoped rifle and hit the broadside of a John Deere? I would love a .338 Lapua in an 8.5lb rifle, but without a brake I'll pass. Actually, I may get one with a brake just to clear out the undesirables on the benches next to me. LOL

If you have a hankeren for a .338wm then by all means get one, it’s a highly respected caliber. But if you have a .375H&H, Wby or RUM you will not need one. Personally if I were to get a .338 caliber for hunting it would be a 340Wby or 338 RUM but hey that’s just my preference. My goto is a 8mm Rem Mag.

Oh, speaking of weight differences, My Blaser R8 would be lighter in .375 than it would be in .338

CEH, I didn’t write that to start trouble, but for every 375 case size there is a 338 case that will beat it at distance. The only possible exception may and I say may be the 375 Chey-tac. Better duck!

CEH, I didn’t write that to start trouble, but for every 375 case size there is a 338 case that will beat it at distance. The only possible exception may and I say may be the 375 Chey-tac. Better duck!
No, I think both the .375s and .338s are great cartridges. I have both. So are the .35s (yes Bob). I think increased recoil in LIGHTER rifles with the higher velocity cartridges in both .338 and .375 bores can be problematic for MANY average hunters? Using a 10.5lb scoped CZ in even the "hotter" offerings is one thing, but an 8.5lb scoped rifle for mountain hunting is another? In todays' world, I'm also looking at the availability of reloading brass? It seems .338 Lapua brass is common now, but try and find other .338 brass including WM or .375 brass other than H&H? Crazy!

I have both also and a few 35s( don’t want Bob to hit me). To me they two very good but very different cartridges. I look at the 375 as an African round only and the 338-35-and 9.3 as ever day use and in any place they are legal. I know the 375 will fit that bill also and I have used it elk hunting in the timber, but didn’t feel right. That’s just me.

Or elk hunting in the mountains.
A bit more performance sure but also added weight. On my recent safari in Zim, York Mare commented that one of the biggest problems he sees is clients with guns that are too heavy for them to carry all day long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boob415

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.