Starting to plan our first safari

Congratulations on booking your first adventure. You’ll make great memories.

Now, double the amount of money you thought you were going to spend and take your own rifle. There, you’re all set now.

Good luck and happy planning!

R.

Take your own gun. I have been twice to South Africa and taken 2 rifles each time. I feel that it has been easier than when I took my rifle to Mexico. I used my 300 WSM on all plains game including a Eland. I shoot a barns triple shock.

I also advocate taking your own rifle. As has been suggested already, I would also encourage you to use one of the pre-approved permit services. Henry at riflepermits.com has done that for me a couple of times. For a little extra you can have someone waiting for you as you come out of the jetway into the terminal. They'll stay with you until you have your permit and ready for the next step of your trip.

Getting to Johannesburg, well there's a number of different ways to skin that cat and a travel agent can certainly help you out if this isn't something you want to bother with. Each way has it's upsides and downsides. Whichever you choose, it's the toughest part of the deal.

If you're on the east side of Iowa and Chicago is as close an airport as Des Moines, you may want to consider flying out of O'Hare (albeit that makes me bite my tongue as it's not my most favorite airport lets just say). O'Hare is international and there will be a number of options there.

Congratulations on winning the auction. One of the owners, Tony Du Bruyn, I've known for a number of years from the conventions. He is a very enthusiastic gent and I think you'll be well treated.

Welcome to AH.

I recommend taking your own rifle ( with at least 100 rounds: check scope, hunt, any left over your PH will appreciate). First because you are familiar with it. Secondly, taking your own rifle just adds more to your hunt and using Henry Rifle Permits makes it easier for the first trip with SAPS and their form 520. SAPS 520 is an intimidating 8 page form that only 4 pages, maybe, needed filled out depending on if kids are traveling with you.

Definately recommend Global Rescue travel insurance just in case the unfortunate happens.

Don't forget the meds. Pending on when and where you folks are going, I recommend checking with the CDC for vaccination(s)/vaccines you might want to get and don't for get the Doxycycline.

Plenty of photo's (not just hunting) for the folks back home to look at as you reminisce of your trip.

As far as trophies: shoulder mount, European mount, tanned hides as rug/wall/ bed(furniture) covers, etc. you can't go wrong. You'll have plenty of time to create a "man cave" (or an excuse to add a "man's room" to your home when you return) for current and future hunting trophies.

As far as travel agents or not. They may cost a little more to use their services, but they arrange your travel itinerary quick and easy ahhh for the most part. And you can get sometimes get better rates. Don't forget regardless of airlines sign up for reward points for future flight, travel continental or abroad.

Enjoy Africa, not just the hunting.

First off welcome to AH. By now you've already seen how "we" can help you plan your safari. I totally agree with those that suggest you bringing your own rifle. Using Henry at Rifle Permits makes that a non event. For the animals you listed and or are considering The 300 RUM is certainly enough rifle. IMHO it may be too much rifle. I would ask your PH about the average ranges at which game is shot at his location. The vast majority is generally shot under 200 yds. and of that group most is shot under 100 yds. The 300 RUM's claim to fame is for distances unlikely to be encountered on most hunts. If you already own a 30 - 06 I'd take it instead. Get lots of practice shooting off sticks. You will be expected to use them in Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.