Starting my journey with potentially the cheapest (and ugliest?) double rifle around…the IZH94 O/U in 30-06

Well, my $10 rail adapter arrived. This is how it turned out.
B621FF45-5F77-4583-839D-C422E6EDC9E8.jpeg

The Biathlon rifles have been updated and are still sold, part of the Kalashnikov Concern, however they are subject to sanctions in most of the world and as such unobtainable. Likewise parts will be a problem.

Getting back to the OP's question - scope mounts. The dovetail is not your standard US .22 lr 3/8" dovetail. It is a European size approx 12mm. There are a range of scope mounts available from crude to classy, fixed to QD etc. Many are listed on eBay (search under Baikal scope mounts). Note some of the scope mounts required a recoil stop to be milled into the dovetail if yours doesn't already have one (check the scope and mount for eye relief before having the groove milled) Recknagel even make a QD red dot mount (or at least used to when I bought mine.)

Should you decide you want to play with the front sight, be aware that its not the same thread as for AKs & SKSs (M6x0.75mm). The Baikal IZH94 sight uses a M6x0.5mm thread

The stiff opening etc will ease with use, and maybe removing a few rough edges. My Baikal is a 9.3x74R, it regulated well until I fell down a ravine while carrying it. Now one barrel shoots off to the side a bit :(

I hope it works out for you. Does this gun have the regulation screw at the muzzle like I've seen on some of these cheaper o/u's?

The 11mm dovetail to 20mm rail adapter I bought tightened down great. Only problem is I need to mount a 2x4 to get me cheek high enough to see through the scope . Ordered a dovetail insert. We’ll see if it works. That’ll bring the scope down .6”.
If that doesn’t work, I will start searching for scope mounts.

I hope it works out for you. Does this gun have the regulation screw at the muzzle like I've seen on some of these cheaper o/u's?
No. This one uses a double screw arrangements halfway down the barrel to bend the bottom barrel both directions to affect regulation
7F971A74-7C0C-42CD-ABF8-59A375CD4E73.jpeg

Has the gun been fired yet?

I have never seen one of these as a double rifle, but I have seen them as combination guns. I believe the last one I saw was a 7.65x54r over a 12g. This was many years ago but I remember being tempted to pick it up.

-Matt

Hey everyone. I have had an IZH94 30-06 O/U tucked away NIB for over 20 years. Finally decided I am getting old and ugly enough I cannot fault this rifle for looking the way she does so it is time to shoot her and try to fall in love or trade her away.
For those of you unfamiliar with these rifles, Baikal made these O/Us in a variety of configurations. Most bring rifle/Shotgun combo with some being double rifle. These are based off their shotgun frames. Not sure how many they sold.
So, I need some help to see if this ugly duckling and I can make this work. I would like to mount something like a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 on there. Don’t figure I will be taking any shots where an 8x won’t work for me. The top of the barrel has a dovetail cut into it. I measured it with my calipers and sketched it out. It extends 2.95 inches in length.
Does anyone have any idea what Mount type matches those dimensions?
Once we get that problem solved, someone can give me guidance on how to not need a fence post nearby to get it to break open View attachment 570316View attachment 570317View attachment 570318View attachment 570319View attachment 570320View attachment 570321View attachment 570322View attachment 570323View attachment 570324
Should be a generic Brno/CZ/Tikka base. Warne, Sportsmatch and others can help you out.

Has the gun been fired yet?

I have never seen one of these as a double rifle, but I have seen them as combination guns. I believe the last one I saw was a 7.65x54r over a 12g. This was many years ago but I remember being tempted to pick it up.

-Matt
Nope. Never been fired. I have it’s twin sitting NIB also.

I have a Baikal o/u shotgun, it is my working shotgun since the day I got my hunting license. It is a little bit heavy but does the job.

The also make a sxs double rifle in 45-70 if I remember correctly.

I have a Baikal o/u shotgun, it is my working shotgun since the day I got my hunting license. It is a little bit heavy but does the job.

The also make a sxs double rifle in 45-70 if I remember correctly.
Same. My go to O/U is a Baikal also. Always wanted one of the SXS 45-70 but the only ones I could find were pricey.

Well, I think I will be into it for under $400 scoped so it may be the ugliest and cheapest 30-06 double rifle out there .
Who cares it is still a double rifle. I would love to see some pictures when you have hunted something with it. Are you planning to hunt with it and if so what game do you have in mind?

Who cares it is still a double rifle. I would love to see some pictures when you have hunted something with it. Are you planning to hunt with it and if so what game do you have in mind?
I don’t have any hunts planned but will post if I do. Might call a buddy in Georgia and see about hunting some hogs after the first of the year. First thing is to get it regulated.

Well, I finally had some time to mess around with trying to get some kind of optics on my rifle. I found some lower adapters to try and get my 1-8 Vortex Strike Eagle on it. Mounted up nicely and was able to reverse the mount to get the scope far enough back to get it in the correct eye relief range. Only problem is I will need a 1.5” cheek riser to get up high enough to see through the scope properly. Anyone have any bright ideas?
Just for fun, I mounted an extra Burris Fastfire 3 (3 MOA version) I had in the bottom of my optics box. Sight picture is darn near perfect so I might use it like this for a while and see if it is regulated to hit a 4’x8’ sheet of plywood. Honestly it is an “iron sights” type double rifle so if I like the Fastfire I may leave it on there.
7146CAFB-E762-4BC7-9E85-0892392965A0.jpeg
EA054EEE-C037-498D-B5E0-482974022B72.jpeg
ABC3762C-40E9-4B29-9835-BEE2AA53FAE8.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesDet

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.