Starting my 98 build

I found that information and was ready to come back and report but phone died if it can handle the 375 H&H it should handle the 404 Jeffery. It would require opening bolt face and extractor slightly. I’m thinking maybe the magazine would need some work but not a whole lot. In my standard 98 I had to widen the magazine.06 on each side if I did it again I would probably copy the original Jeffery trick of using the wood of the stock to make sides of magazine.
Shawn

Hoss,
Yes mate it can handle the .404 easily. I made one on a 602 over 10 years ago and it's still going strong. Other than the bolt face everything else stayed the same.
My preference would be a standard length 98 modified to fit the .404 though.
Bos , here is my concept of a dream gun . I dream someday of having a rifle built in the caliber 11.2 × 72 mm Schuler . It's an old German .440 Caliber with a rebated rim which used a 401 grain bullet . I will use 401 grain woodleigh bullets and turned down .404 Jeffery Brass cases and want the gun built on a BRNO ZKK-602 action. Is a BRNO ZKK - 602 action appropriate for the 11.2 Schuler ?

Getting it to feed and extract may be a mission even for a very good gunsmith. The bolt head is also to big and would need welding up, machining and then hardening again. The standard 602 extractor may also be too big for the rebated rim. It might be easier to stick with the original design parameters and use a standard length 98 and make the mods others have made to get the likes of .404's and .416's to feed.

Getting it to feed and extract may be a mission even for a very good gunsmith. The bolt head is also to big and would need welding up, machining and then hardening again. The standard 602 extractor may also be too big for the rebated rim. It might be easier to stick with the original design parameters and use a standard length 98 and make the mods others have made to get the likes of .404's and .416's to feed.
Whoa ! I didn't see that coming. I'm probably better off finding a vintage rifle in that caliber :(

Ok finally got some time in behind the 404 and then some time looking at my sights good news is it held a decent group bad news is the group is 9” low at 50 yards. Recalculated my figures and wondering now where I got my original numbers from with Back sight sitting in its highest position I’m almost.200” lower than front sight. Guess it’s back to the drawing board. Going to make a new temp that I can adjust way more than needed until I get her shooting right then I’ll make a permanent sight for a finished rifle.
Shawn

Front sight is really tall but my choice of stock require it to be so. When I ordered the stock it was my plan to scope the rifle but then I decided to go with open sights. Most rifles with open sights down low give me trouble lining up (read that large head and no neck).
Now thinking back I was originally making a blade front sight when I started then I got the Lyman Globe sight after I had made rear sight and did not change back to match. (This forgetfulness is getting worse). Know that the high sights don’t look great but they are right there where they should be when I raise the rifle.
Shawn

Shawn, just a thought that may be wrong. The rear sight height will come into play when you shoulder the rifle. Agreed, with no question or reservation. However the front sight doesn't come into play until the muzzle end of the rifle is elevated. Lowering the front sight height will raise your point of impact. If I'm wrong all you have to do is make a new blade. Thoughts / comments? Have you already done this? https://www.brownells.com/aspx/lear...3186&msclkid=22d9cfc1dc0c126d9a299214e8b2c2e3

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 11.13.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 11.13.53 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 106
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 11.13.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 11.13.57 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 120
The windage is dovetail with a scale and a set screw to hold it in place dove tail is not loose but doesn’t need a hammer to move I was going to put a screw in the base to move it but decided once it was sighted in I would not be moving it to counter wind drift. I already over engineered this sight but what the heck.
Shawn

I will be getting the rifle blued soon and the fellow offered to put gold inlay in the 404 Jeffery that is in bottom plate while he was at it.
Sounds to fancy for my taste but if he wants to I guess I’m for it.
Shawn

Just an update my 404 was dropped off to be blued but the fellow has not done anything to it yet due to weather conditions always below freezing (he does most of his work outside) but I did site it in with the peep sites last fall just in case I got some worm dry hunting days and would not have to worry about rust. Didn’t happen. I’m ready to go in the fall though som poor whitetail deer may get to try a 320gr at 2750 fps.
Shawn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg