South African Tick Bite

archer36

AH enthusiast
Joined
Jun 23, 2013
Messages
398
Reaction score
353
Media
10
Hunting reports
Africa
2
How many of you got it and how did you treat it? Any long term attention needed?
 
Antibiotics, no long term problem.
 
Got it last time. It took one Tick on my ankle.
Ripped it out.
Felt achey, joint pain, some fever and hard to sleep a couple days later.
Antibiotics and pain killers. Ready to rock later that afternoon after I saw the doctor in the morning.
I think it was about $65.00 Consult, shot and two courses of meds.


Zero longer term effects for me.

More Deet on the lower limbs next time.

CDC Info.
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/diseases/african-tick-bite-fever
 
Found one the last time I was there while drinking with friends from SA. They burned it with a sigarette (me aswell). No problems afterwards except heavy babalas the day after. I don`t think it was from the tick ;)
 
Found one the last time I was there while drinking with friends from SA. They burned it with a sigarette (me aswell). No problems afterwards except heavy babalas the day after. I don`t think it was from the tick ;)

This does have some medicinal effect but, there are others.

Jagermeister.jpg
 
As I came back from SA last year, I found I had a nice juicy tick on me. Went to the hospital emergency to have it removed , and was prescribed antibiotics. Did not suffer any aftereffects.

Jägermeister ! Well, that is powerful medicine, right, Doc ;)
 
You should never leave home without jaegermeister. especially when going for ski trips in cold weather:) It`s magic!
 
I treated all or at least most of our clothing with permethrin before we left and as far as I know so far, we have no tick bites or issues. I did see a couple of ticks on my pants one day, just sitting there as we walked thru tall brush and grass. PH had some pepper ticks on him but no problems. My boy wore shorts the whole time so he used my gaiters and I wore long pants anyway over usually 9" boots.
 
I went out two weeks ago and got covered in ticks, really small buggers. less than 1mm across. we must've pulled off about 15 or 20.
Went out again yesterday and this time sprayed around my pants legs, socks, arms, cuffs and neck with Peaceful Sleep spray. I didnt have anything else, so thought what the hell... cant make it worse!
It seemed to work well, at one point i looked down and had two big "families" on my pants, i had just walked through a nest or something, they were not crawling about or spreading. I sprayed them directly with the Peaceful Sleep and they dropped off in seconds.
Found no other ticks anywhere else!
Dont know if you get Peaceful Sleep in the States or elsewhere, or if anyone else has used it?

Just googled the active ingredient in Peaceful Sleep - DEET!!
guess that's why it works!:)
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,244
Messages
1,569,655
Members
168,749
Latest member
w60
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top