Need some help Tick Bite

Abster71

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Just got back from South Africa and I noticed I have a irritated spot on my calf. Never noticed any tic's while showering but the pictures and symptoms sound like a South Africa tick fever. Has anyone had an issue with this I plan on seeing a Doctor tommorow. How do they treat it, I'm aware of the tick's in our neck of the woods with limes disease do these have the same issues? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Well you are doing the right thing by going to the Doc, just be sure to tell him where you have been. Dont believe RSA ticks carry Lyme disease. Good luck.

Lyme disease is possible, get to the doctor ASAP. It only gets worse!

African tick bite fever is totally different than the NA tick born illness. Lyme disease that we can get in North America.
Different bacteria.

Head to the doc, tell him that it is Africa Tick Bite Fever.
RX is: You'll get some Doxicyline (sp) and you will be right as rain in 10 days.

Just went through the battle in Africa myself.
Incubates in about a week and then you get hit.
Larval Ticks are the worst (pepper ticks)
Flu symptoms. Recognized the sypmtoms went to the doc.
Shot in the ass, pain meds, antibiotics and right as rain within a day and back hunting. :))))

You shouldn't actually be having any tick bite fever symptoms yet, unless you have an allergy. Some spiders also leave the same 'bite area' symptoms as ticks. As has been stated above, tell the Doc where you were and he'll treat you accordingly. You can also get more info about the type of ticks in your hunting area off the net. Also, get your partner to check all your nooks and cranny's for any possible ticks that you might have missed.

Abster, picked up a couple of pepper ticks on my hunt during a crawl on a Bontebok hunt. How do I know it was a pepper tick, because I only found the last one when he fell off at home from one of those nooks/crannies doc was talking about, it was a little red and a little swollen, but not enough to bother me. Medic at work stated just because you get bit doesn't mean you will get the symptoms. Two weeks at home now and no symptoms, you should have it checked out regardless.

Looked at the CDC site and Lyme is carried only by blacklegged ticks and only in specific parts of the US. Its not widespread and often those infected may have been bitten somewhere else and taken it home with them. Abster didnt mention where he is.

I also have had tick bite fever. Not one of my best memories. There has been a couple of good threads about this in the past. try using the search function for detailed info. Good luck. Bruce

Let us know how your doing when you find out anything...sure its nothing a needle in the butt cant fix....lol. Hang in there!!

Look for my thread on tick bite fever here on this board. There are 2 types of ticks that spread the "fever" Each is slightly different and each has a specific antibiotic Doxycillian is one. Take all the antibiotic even if you feel better in 3 days You will relapse in 6 months if you don't. Takes about 5 days to incubate before you feel it.

My father and I also recently returned from a safari in Sout Africa. About 5 days after our return, my father came down with various symptoms and went to the doc. Blood tests confirmed it was Lyme disease. He just finished in antibiotics. Best thing is to go to your Doc, let him do the blood tests and follow directions.

I just did a bit more internet searching and it does appear that Lyme is possible in southern Africa, though rare it seems. I stand corrected.

I just did a bit more internet searching and it does appear that Lyme is possible in southern Africa, though rare it seems. I stand corrected.
Hopefully, Abster will get back on here and tell us how he is doing.

I got tick bite fever in May after my first African hunt. Just get your butt into the dr. Tell them what you have and request Doxycillian. I waited 4 days before I could get in to see my primary care dr and wish that I just went into the walk in clinic right away. Those four days absolutely sucked! After only two days on the antibiotic I felt much better.

After a few days on the meds symptoms went away the redness around the bite is going down. Now all I have is a black scab which is getting smaller. Small price to pay for having a great time in South Africa. Abster

What exactly did the doc say it was or did he know for sure? Thanks for getting back to us.:cool:

FWIW, a good way to avoid getting it is to use dog tick & flea shampoo instead of soap or shower gel during & for 2 or 3 weeks after your safari.

If you start licking your own undercarriage & chasing cars, you are overdoing it! LOL

All of my clothing is still in the freezer, just to make sure all the little critters are dead.

I just got back from SA and found a large green tick attached to....yes, my scrotum !

I immediately went to the hospital where it was cleanly removed, and a specific antibiotic was prescribed.

So far no swelling of the area, or any other symptoms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,