SOUTH AFRICA: Second Hunt With Pawprint Safaris

Catahoula

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
In short, the trip was fantastic! (My shooting was not so good!) I asked Pieter for a walk and stalk hunt and that is what was provided. I was paired up with PH Jonathon. I didn't really have a trophy list other than blue wildebeest and warthog. Unfortunately, as with my first trip last year, the warthog were illusive.

Day one, we were on the search for blue wildebeest. We hunted hard, both morning and afternoon but just couldn't get a shot at a good bull. On the morning of day two, our luck changed. A couple of hours into the hunt, a bull presented a fairly short shot, but was obstructed by brush. He moved slightly creating a small window to shoot. I hit him a little far back, and off he went. There was a good blood trail and we found him quickly. After a quick follow up shot, he was down.

P1010924.JPG

After a trip to the skinning shed and an excellent lunch, we were off after blesbok. We weren't out long when a pair wandered by at less than ten yards. Jonathon whistled to stop the bull, and the shot was good.

P1010946.JPG

Day three was a repeat of day one. I mad a clean miss on an Impala ram, but nothing in the salt. The next morning, I was presented a shot at a Red Hartebeest at about 100 yards. The shot was terrible, leading to a long tracking job. Jonathon and the tracker, Joe, did a fantastic job on a track with little blood. They showed me the bull four times, but I couldn't get a shot. 2 1/2 hours later, they led me to the bull, which had stiffened up and laid down. He stood as we approached and presented an easy Texas heart shot which put him down. He attempted to get back up, so I put a finisher in his neck. I was thankful for a great PH and tracker!

P1010980.JPG

The morning of day five, I took a break for a little shopping. I was discouraged by my poor shooting and needed a break. That evening, we drove around looking for zebra. We stayed on the truck at my request. We saw some, but did not attempt a shot. The morning of day six, we were back after zebra. We drove a bit, then went back to walk and stalk. We got on a trio pretty early, and lost them a couple of times. We came on them again, and Jonathon told me to get ready. I decided to pass on the shot as it was longish, and my poor shooting of the prior day was in my head. Fortunately, they decided to move across the field and presented a closer shot. My first shot, once again was a little far back. I made a second running shot that connected and they disappeared into the brush. We found a lot of blood in a ravine. Joe, the tracker pushed through, while Jonathon and I moved to the top to see if he could push them out. When we got to the top, the two mares that the stallion was travelling with were standing in the field. A few seconds later, the stallion started walking out of the ravine and I put a finishing shot into it's neck.
P1010997.JPG

Despite my poor shooting this week, no animals were lost. Pieter and his team provided exactly the experience I was looking for. @Pawprint Safaris hit a home run with the new lodge. The chef, Claudius provided fantastic food at every meal, and the comradery was amazing. I couldn't have asked for a better PH than Jonathon. After I hone my skills from the sticks, I will definitely be back! I see a beest slam in my future.

Glad you had another great hunt with Paw print. I have not hunted with Jonathon yet but look forward to it one day. He loves the stalking part and is good at it. He is a blast around camp though and we have had good fun giving each other a hard time.

Glad you enjoyed the new chef to he does some great meals that is for sure.

Thank you Jeff. It was an honour to have you back with us.

Thanks for the report and pictures Catahoula! It sounds like a great hunt!
You sound like a bird hunter, i.e., you want to flush them before you shoot them;)!

Nice trophies congratulations on a great hunt!!

Congratulations on your hunt. I only hunted one day with Johnathan and really enjoyed his presence. Great man to hunt with and of course there can be nothing wrong with a rifleman that carries a Winchester model 70.

Congrats seems like you had a great time and took very nice animals.

Congrats on your safaris and thanks for sharing!

Jonathon is a good dude, I was able to share some time with him last year!

Good report Jeff. That Joe is a heck of a tracker! Glad you had a good time!

Thanks for your report. It takes a while sometimes to get back into it after a poor shot. I know the feeling. It is sometimes a good idea to go back to the range and do a couple of practice shots and then get back into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see you had a fab time. @Pawprint Safaris always stump up the goods cant wait to get out there again. Wouldn't mind a massive baboon culling trip.

How did that beagle do.

She is turning in to a good tracking dog. She is only 1 1/2 years old but has gone through tracking school and being used to track animals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaida88net

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.