www.africasafarihunts.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Safari Club Int'l, Maya Archery Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, South Africa
My wife and I hunted with Tyron and Annemarie from @MORETLA SAFARIS for a 12 day hunt at end of June to 1st week in July 2022.

I had booked this hunt two years b4 but due to all the COVID restrictions from/To USA had to postpone the trip. Almost lost all the airfare I had booked with South African Airway, as they went into a bankruptcy period where all tkts purchased for International flight were cancelled. I was given the option of a voucher for a future date when they came out of Bankruptcy, or to request a refund. This happened almost a year after the Intl flight Cancellations.

Well, needless to say I did not trust the SAA would necessarily resume if/when they were out of bankruptcy . I tried to call their USA Hdqts in Florida's but only reached a recording saying they were suspending their operations temporarily and to use their website for updates.

In the meantime, 2022 was approaching and still no resolve on the voucher issue and/or when SAA wold resume flights To/ from USA, though they had already received a BIG {Billions of Dollar bail out from the govt/or a private concern ????)
This was late 2021 and Covid restrictions were easing up in USA and around the world. So, I decided to book our flight and Hunt for June/July of the following year {2022}. I found that the best Flights/Prices was with Delta Airlines though the fairs were much higher than I paid SAA, {about 1.3 times higher}. As we did not want to put off the Hunt for another year in hopes SAA would start Intl flights again, I want ahead and paid the round trip air for my wife and I from Sacramento, Ca to Johannesburg .{ Out of pocket round trip for us two was approx $ 5,200 USD}

I contacted Tyron to confirm my flight Itinerary for the following Safari dates in June / July 2022 to get the ball rolling. I still had little hope that SAA would make good on my request for a refund on my two tkts that they offered.

Well, lo and behold around the beginning of February 2022 I get an email from SAA that they have approved my request for a total refund of both round trip tickets for total of $3961.95. Boy was I pleasantly surprised and extremely elated......

So, things were moving slowly but surely and at least I got my money back from SAA... What a relief!!

In the following months I made arrangements to take my 1903 Griffin and Howe Custom 30.06 Springfield with me as have done on the previous trips to Africa. {Little more paper work and expense but it is worth it to use my trusty Springfield for this Plains Game Safari.

My wife and I were met at the airport in Johannesburg and with the help of RiflesPermits we collected the firearm then proceeded to get our luggage and on to customs.

It was now getting dark and Tyron and Annemarie suggested we stop on the way to our hunting camp in Limpopo province for a bite to eat since it was a two to three hour drive. We agreed and Tyron stopped to gas up the Toyota and came back from the KFC w/ The delicious Chicken club sandwiches and soda .. We were on our way.... Funny to come half way around the world to have a KFC meal.... We laughed as we gorged on the food and chatted to our destination.

We arrived late that evening and were shown our accommodations. It did not take long to fall asleep once my head hit the pillow.

The following morning we slept in and leisurely prepared our close for the days hunt. The breakfast that Annemarie prepared gave us the boost we needed to strart the day.

Tops on my list was A crocodile so I was eager to do that first. Tyron suggested we wait for a couple of days as the weather would be more favorable towards the end of the week. Plus the drive was over and hour or so away.

We headed for the target range to make sure my rifle was still shooting straight. Well after a few shots it seems I could not get an executable group out to 100 or so yards. Tyrone suggested I might want to use one of his rifles. I was reluctantly considering his offer, when I turned to ice and said " I have and idea to try a trick I learned years ago". I cut a piece of paper from a matchbook cover and inserted it at the forend tip between the stock and barrel. After a few more test shots I was grouping within a 1 to 11/2 " circle. This was a new custom stock I had made for the rifle A year or so ago and I think The bedding was not do too precisely which caused uneven pressure on the barrel which as most of you might know can cause uneven vibration from shot to shot. I could see where the stock at the tip was not applying even pressure on both sides. I thought I had resolved the problem perviously but it looked like it needed another tweek. It Worked !!!

We were ready for our first hunt... My wife is not a hunter so she was happy to stay back at camp and observe the Waterloo just outside of camp and take some pictures....

Tryon, Annemarie, and her pooch Nayla and I were off to hunt a nice Impala out on the camp concession. We drove around and spotted many Plains game such as Gemsbok, Wildebeest, Kudu, Giraffe, and Impala... We got out on foot and stalked on a small herd but when we got close they ran off.. we pussy footed after them and finally caught them on the other side of some trees. Tyron put out the sticks and I rested my rifle . I could hardly see the horns as there was a reflection off the sun but Tryon was at a different angle and told me to shoot, then iffedietely said DON'T shoot. Boy I was that close to squeezing the trigger..whew!!! Obviously he noticed a bigger one just behind that one. The shooter then moved into the position the first one was and I again I could hardly see the base of the his horns either, but trusted Tyrons judgement and slowly squeezed the rigger. Done he went and I had my first trophy.

IMG_0716.jpeg

Nice Impala on first day of hunt..

We were back at camp to take a break and have some lunch. AnneMarie made one of her special meals to celebrate.. a nice Impala burger with egg and cheese on top of toasted bun....Deeelicious... !!

IMG_0739.jpeg

What a treat!!

We were off to our 2nd hunt for a Golden Wildebeest on a different concession.
we picked up one of our trackers and headed out. We drove around with the Toyota me and Tyron, And AnneMaries and Naya on the Truck Bed with an over cabe cushioned rest. I loved it. After driving around for a while we spotted a herd of Golden Bulls. I got out and we stalked as close as we could get without spoking them too mush. The only shot we had was about at 225 yds standing partially broadside. The sticks wee down and I steadied for the shot. At the recoil the bull lunged forwarded took of with the rest of the herd.. We traded blood for what seemed and eternity but could not find my bull. The way he reacted indicated it was a good hit, so we decided to back off ass it was getting late and return again in the AM.
Needless to say, I dreamt abut that shot all night. Early the next morning after breakfast we headed back to the concession and just as we meandered down the road we pick up a couple of bulls by themselves, We looked them over and the one to the right looked like it was wounded. Tyron verified it was my bull. We hopped off the truck mounted the shooting stick and I placed a quartering shot just to the right of his from shoulder as he faced me. He took the hit and turned to the right and went down. I was happy to put and end to his suffering.

FullSizeRender (8).jpeg

Nice Golden Widebeest

We took pictures and headed back to camp for some lunch and to plan the rest of the day.
Tyron wanted to check out the river near our camp for a possible Wart Hog..THese mornings were cold as it was the winter was closing in... we tried all the rest of the day but no luck on the Wart Hog.

The next day was crocodile day!!! We had a nice breakfast and headed on the long drive to a new concession. It wasn't till late morning that we reach our destination. After signing all required SITES papers were were off. we reached a pond where there were at least two known Crocs there. As we glassed the area I noticed a set of eyes in the middle of the lake focusing on us. It was a big Hippo and this was his turf. As the sun heated the air we spotted a Croc on the far side of the pond bank. The we saw the big one swimming to our left about 80 to 100yds off. he reached the bank and climbed the dirt hill to rest on the top. then he hesitated for a moment and returned to the water. We were not in a good position for a shot as there were trees partially blocking the spot were he emerged from the lake. but, we knew that was as close as we could hope to get without angering the Hippo and blowing our cover. We waited another hour and the big croc came back heading for the same spot. He got up to the side of the bank and Tyron advise that I shoot him B4 he made it to the top. I basically had only one shot..Not the back of the smile either... I aimed for the top of his head between the eyes and released an 80 yd shoot..It look like a good hit but when we went to check he had slid down the back and into the water. There was no blood anywhere to be loud..We used all kinds of hooks and fishing rods in hopes he was at the bottom... no such luck.
We gave up after a couple of hours of looking.
The day was waning and we had to get back to camp for the night.. So we hoped that if he was wounded and going to dye in a couple of days we would have guides at the Lake keep an eye out for his body.

So, we spent the next three days focusing on a nice Sable that was on my list. We hunted two different concessions over a three day period but could not get close to any of our prey.. One afternoon it even rained so we had to call off the hunt early. Meanwhile the word from the Crocodile Lake was not good. The Croc did not appear. On our third try at the Sable we returned to the last concession where it had rained on us. We were in hopes that our luck would change.

The road to the Sable was very ruff and the surface was like a washboard . Our Toyota right steering link broke on our way back from the second Sable hunt. We were at least 10 miles from camp and Tyron and the boys were able to use a Plastic cable tie to secure the broken joint so we could hobble along to get back to camp that night. Tyron had to make special arrangement to get the replacement part. So, that in the meantime we had to get Tyrons back up truck to use as the part took two days to arrive. We used the time to attempt another shot at a Wort Hog. The mornings were cold and all our efforts were in vain...The Hogs were not cooperating.

Finally the steering linkage arrived and the Toyota was fixed by one of the trackers. We were off for a third shot at the Sable. We arrived back at the concession where we were rained on the last time. The day was clear and sunny. We drove the Toyota on every road we could find and finally gt onto a herd of four or five Sable bulls. We left the truck behind and stalked along the road they had crossed. We came to a clearing and to my right there they were, but not for log. I took a shot at one of the bulls but it went over his back. They took off running and circled in front of us next to the road and stopped . Tyron opened the sticks and I rested my rifle on the Sable on the far left as he faced quartering toward me. Tyron ranged him at 224 yards. I aimed and squeezed off a shot. Immediately the other bulls to his left bolted as he took a few steps toward them and fell. The others kept looking back as I believe he was the Herd leader. Finally they ran off and we were able to admire my trophy. He turned out to have a set of horns that green measured 44". A fine trophy!!

FullSizeRender (26).jpeg
A 44" Sable Bull

The next day we got word that the croc was sited and was still alive. We headed for the Lake to evaluate the situation. When I saw that the large croc was on a totally different Island than b4 and really mostly underwater except for the eyes and nose, we decided to wait and see whatmhe wold do. He stayed in the water mostly and after much time waiting I had a choice of the other smaller croc tuning himself on a lake bank to our right about 100 yds away. We decided to go for him and we took a semicircle stalk to within about 40 yds without spooking him. One shot off the stick right behind the smile anchored him to the top of the bank. Tuff decision I made but I guess a "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." or Lake ...as they say.LOL!!!

FullSizeRender (17).jpeg

10' Crocodile

I was down to the last two plains game on my list. That afternoon we hunted the camp concession for a nice GemsBok... Tyron and I drove in the Toyota for about an hour till we came across a small herd of Oryx (Gemsbok) bulls. We leaped from the truck and spotted the last bull about 200+ yards directly in from of us. I was on the sticks and squeezed off a shot as he was afforded me a frontal face n shot. The hit looked good but he ran of toward the rest f the herd. We tracked hime for the rest of the day till it was too dark to continue. We would've to pick the truck up in the morning.

The morning was cold but sunny and we drove the concession looking for my wounded Oryx.. we passed many Impala, Wildebeest, bat eared Fox, some Kudu, and finally a herd of Oryx. We scanned the group to try and see if he was with the herd. Tyron thought he saw my bull but could not confirm blood. It was close to 11 AM by now so we decided to head back to camp for a rest and lunch.

We ate lunch and discussed the situation when suddenly a flock of Griffen Vultures were circling above a field we had just passed on our way into our camp gate. On further observation we started to see many more vultures on the ground with our binoculars. {maybe 50 to 100 individuals} Tyron sent out one of the trackers on ATV and when he returned we were told it was the carcass of my mostly elated Oryx. It was only about 5 to 600 yards from camp so we walked over to find my kill. He had not been there more than 1 or 11/2 hrs. but was eaten to skin and bone. All we could salvage was the horns and attached skull. The cape was ruined. We had past this spot on the way in for lunch but evidently the Oryx got there after we got to camp...

Last edited by a moderator:
some of my pics of Oryx did not upload>>>>

Trying it again
FullSizeRender (36).jpeg

Remains after Griffin Vultures got to it

number1.jpeg

At least I got the trophy

Buzzards on ground near my trophy
DSC_0246 copy.JPG

Buzzards on ground near my trophy

Last edited:
Here are some Pic of camp At Moretla Safaries
DSC_0074 copy.JPG

Visitors at our camp Lake
IMG_0741.jpeg

Lunch at dining room
IMG_0744.jpeg

Relaxing in our Chalet

IMG_0750.jpeg

Path to our Chalet

IMG_0781.jpeg

Caping my Sable Trophy
IMG_5968.jpeg

Enjoying a sip of wine after a day in the field

IMG_0789.jpeg

IMG_0763.jpeg

Ostrich egg found in the field in abandoned nest ..it is equivalent to 24 Chicken eggs.. we had an omelet the next day for breakfast.
IMG_5971.jpeg

Sunset at the camp lake...
IMG_5995.jpeg

Game meat on the barbi

IMG_0810.jpeg

Flames to BarBq and keep us warm in the evening
IMG_0785.jpeg

Sunset from our Chalet
DSC_0242 copy.JPG

More visitors browsing andcomimg to camp lake to water

Last edited:
During our stay at Moretla, there was a sick female Cape Buffalo that Tyron and Annemarie were caring for in the Boma.... Even with Vet help and tender loving care she did not make it, but it was a great attempt to bring her back to health..

HUNTIG IS MORE ABOUT WILDLIFE CONSERVATION THAN JUST THE Trophy!!!

DSC_0179 copy.JPG
DSC_0180 copy.JPG
IMG_0759.jpeg

Trying to make her comfortable and able to feed if possible

Congratulations, thanks for the report and pictures.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Great report!! I hunted with them last year, stayed in a different lodge bc the crocodile river was being remodeled at the time. Great hosts!!

Congrats on your hunt, and thanks for sharing !

During our stay at Moretla, there was a sick female Cape Buffalo that Tyron and Annemarie were caring for in the Boma.... Even with Vet help and tender loving care she did not make it, but it was a great attempt to bring her back to health..

HUNTIG IS MORE ABOUT WILDLIFE CONSERVATION THAN JUST THE Trophy!!!

View attachment 490491View attachment 490493View attachment 490494
Trying to make her comfortable and able to feed if possible
I wish more anti-hunting groups would acknowledge efforts, such as this, that conservation provides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MavisHanes

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!