JKT

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Good Day All!

This is my first hunting report. I am not the best report writer, so hope that the report is ok!

I have just returned from my hunting trip with Bos en Dal Safaris @Bos en Dal Safaris .

I am a local in South Africa. Although I did do limited airgun hunting previously, I am still a very new hunter, and was looking at starting off my formal hunting career with a 7 day small game hunt at the end of April 2017, which included birds, jackal, meerkat, warthog, rabbits and brown hyena. Gerrit Jv Vuuren of Bos en Dal Safaris was kind enough to take me up on my request and first African Hunting Safari.

What a wonderful experience!! As a new hunter, I was feeling very nervous when I arrived at Bos en Dal and unsure of what to expect. However, I had no reason to be; Gerrit and Frikkie were awesome and so friendly! I was warmly greeted by them at our meeting spot, and they went out of their way to make me feel comfortable, providing me with lots of encouragement! They immediately made me feel a part of their family!

After some shooting at the range, they took me to the lodge where a wood fire was roaring on the cool autumn night. Lovely place, with a beautiful view over the veranda. And then the food that was prepared during my stay….oh my….was that food divine. Real home cooked meals that I could not get enough of – it was truly delicious, and the trip was worth the food alone!

IMG_3764.JPG

It soon became very clear to me that my chosen animals were a much bigger challenge than what I was expecting, especially since half of them were night animals!! I take my hat off to Gerrit and Frikkie for taking on the challenge! After the first day of bird hunting, we spent many freezing nights in the hide waiting for jackals and the hyena to show up. It was so cold, with us travelling around with a jackal caller and then sitting in the hide till the early hours of the morning, first sussing their pattern out then going in for the shots. I was so relieved when I got my first jackal! Thanks for sitting with me in that freezing cold guys! Hope you are feeling warmer now!
IMG_3803.JPG

IMG_3898.JPG

The brown hyena proved much more elusive, and it turned out there was one stalking us rather than the other way round, sneeking up behind our hide. Clever critter! Unfortunately that was the closest I got to bagging it, but hey that gives me an excuse to plan a return trip.

I got a smallish warthog with Frikkie on the second day, but Gerrit believed we could get a better warthog trophy for me. We managed to track down a huge old tusker of a warthog, and I got him down on my first shot. Wow what a cool trophy he will make!
IMG_6474.JPG

Although not part of my initial list, Frikkie encouraged me to try hunting a cull impala. I was a bit nervous about going for a bigger animal, but thanks to Frikkie I managed to get him down in one shot! What an exhilarating feeling that was. Thanks Frikkie!!
IMG_3837.JPG

The meerkat was also very challenging. Extremely quick and fast to disappear down their holes, we managed to find a colony, and I succeeded in getting one down. That was awesome! We also spend that morning hunting some “waaiersterts”(ground squirrels) who were also fast and pretty tough. But we managed to get a few of them!
DSC_2215 copy.jpg

DSC_2205 copy.jpg

Friday I was invited to a family braai (barbeque) and spent the evening getting to know the whole family. I was warmly welcomed by them and they treated me so kindly! I am a natural introvert, but they made me feel so comfortable and relaxed and I felt I could just be myself.
IMG_3885.JPG

On the last day, while trying to bag another jackal during the night, we stumbled across an animal I had not even considered – a genet. How I managed to bag such a small target with no scope magnification in the dark I will never know! But we got him. What an incredibly beautiful animal – he will make a beautiful mount. That was a grand way to end my hunting trip.
IMG_3915 - Copy.JPG

I was very sad when the week came to an end. It was too soon. Too short. I did not want to go home. Alas all good things come to an end.

I can’t praise Gerrit and Frikkie enough. They took me under their wing and taught me the basics of hunting. They are incredibly nice people and will do everything they can to get your animal and ensure you have a true safari experience. I must admit this was my favorite “holiday” I have ever had. Coming from a family and associates who are all antis, it was so nice to be able to chat to someone about hunting, share the hunting experience, and just finally be myself. They encouraged me and built up my confidence in my hunting abilities. Gerrit ensured I got the full hunting experience from spot-and-stalk to hides. This is an experience that will stay with me for life, and I am eternally grateful for everything Gerrit and Frikkie did for me. Thanks so much guys, you don’t know just how much your kindness meant to me. I am humbled to be considered your friend and part of your family.

I honestly believe that hunters are amongst the nicest people out there – my experience reaffirmed that belief.

I will definitely be returning Gerrit! I am now completely hooked on hunting! We still need to bag that hyena, and I want a honey badger to include in my collection!

Thank you Bos en Dal, I had a truly wonderful experience!!
IMG_3921.JPG

Last edited:
I have to say you have posted some of the most unique trophies I have seen.
Thanks for posting your report.
Glad to see you had fun.

What a great way to start off hunting, I believe you are now hooked on this great pastime and have joined a great fraternity of like minded people. You won't find a greater group of people than hunters and especially those on this forum.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Great report for a first one my friend!! Same as your shooting. We thought you were a first timer but the first shots all hit the bulls eye!! It was a pleasure having you at Bos en Dal Safaris. And looking forward in sharing a camp fire again!!

Great report and some good trophies! I also had a very good hunt with Bos en Dal. Gerrit and Frikkie take good care of you!

Glad you had a great hunt. The Jv Vuuren's are good people.

A very unique collection of trophies. Congratulations.

Thanks for the report.

Thanks for the kind words everybody!! Yup I am now addicted, I need to do my next hunting trip right now :ROFLMAO:

@BRICKBURN yup, I seem to be attracted to all the unusual critters :p

@Bos en Dal Safaris Thanks Gerrit!! Beginners luck maybe :whistle: Look forward to seeing you again very soon!

I consider your report to be very good. Thanks for sharing.Some unusual trophies indeed. Good way to keep your PH on his toes. Congrats on your animals and your new friends. Bruce

Thanks for sharing this great report! Lovely trophies as well. A bit off the beaten path for sure, which I like. Welcome to the world of hunting. A person who has never felt that rush of adrenaline, that hightening of the senses, that absolute focus and attention...they can't possibly understand.

Reactions: JKT
Congrats! Noone ever said the smaller trophies will be easier!

Well done- you should try opposite end of the spectrum next time!

Fine reporting! Excellent choice of trophies! I am a lover of small game hunting. Been doing it since 1953 (a little long in the tooth) at age 6. I am so jealous of the genet! Fine warthog too.
Welcome to the fraternity of hunters the only true conservationists.

JKT, your report was excellent. You left no doubt as to how much you enjoyed your first hunting experience. Small game hunting is challenging and generally leads to bigger things. I have no doubt that your future hunting trips will include larger PG animals. I agree with you that almost all hunters are "good guys" (guys being an all inclusive term) that you would enjoy sitting around a campfire and sharing a beer with.

Congrats for the experience and the trophies.

Nice warthog !

Thanks so much everyone, you are all too kind :X3: :)

Coming from a family and associates of antis to a group of hunters. I love it Welcome

That genet is cool. Nice job and thanks for the report.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg