SOUTH AFRICA: And The Adventure Begins

57 days till I'm off to see Paw Print!!

Good luck on your hunt! Keep us updated with reports and photos

No safari like the first one. It cant be repeated, so soak up all that you can for the memories. Take lots of pix and shoot straight!

Funny I did exactly that for the 1st hunt. Second time far more hunting far fewer pictures. This May I expect there will be fewer pictures and even more hunting

Safe trip and great hunt

Good luck we are all pulling for you stateside!

I heard a rumor that a Paw Print hunter and a wildebeest met today and the wildebeest may have lost... :)

Best of luck... Look forward to your report and pictures.

Funny I did exactly that for the 1st hunt. Second time far more hunting far fewer pictures. This May I expect there will be fewer pictures and even more hunting

I'm going in April with the same, Leupold VX6 2-12 illuminated reticle.
I love leupolds and have all my life. I've had bad luck with some brands but always success with Leupold.
Regards,
Philip

I suspect this July hunt I will take fewer pictures as well mainly because I will be by myself! Taking the GOPro though and hope to get some good ones!

Reactions: lcq
I suspect this July hunt I will take fewer pictures as well mainly because I will be by myself! Taking the GOPro though and hope to get some good ones!
I'm always by myself because my lame buddies are always finding excuses not to go

I wish I would not have said I would wait for aaron to post pictures. The father/son combo is doing there job over there and mom is having some fun herself. He will have some nice pictures to share later and some memories that will last for ever with his dad.

Just think you are Ernest Hemingway !!!
Write everything down , then fill the gaps you missed the nights you drink to much or are just to buggered to write .
Sit back in your best chair with your favourite drink when you get home and start typing , if its still called that .
Writers are not good hunters , But hunters make the best writers as they see things others do not .
GEZZZ im full of shit tonight .
Have a great time , shoot more than you can afford .
Look forward to your in-depth report .
Cheers Dory .
Well taking your advice I have been drinking too much to write, but I feel an update is well overdue!

Bags are packed, and ready to go!

Alright, I have neglected everyone, so here is the nitty gritty. The hunt is ten days with Paw Print, and then any extra week touring the EC to Cape Town for some diving.

The Gear
for me a Weatherby Vanguard Sporter Stainless .270 Win
Ammo: Barnes TTSX 130gr

For dad:
Weatherby Vanguard Sporter .30-06
Ammo Barnes TTSX 180gr

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think guys were wanting more the a picture of the job you did packing your stuff. LOL I just know already you have some good story's with days you hunted so far. Good luck with the rest of the trip

Pieter and I arrived at the Flintbek Lodgr around 11:30 and was greeted by Miss Merelize. Once settled in, and showered from the long flight, I made my way to the bar with a bottle of bourbon and the finest duty free Canadian Rye.

You see, we had two hours to kill until my parents arrived, and what better way to break the ice than a couple stiff drinks!

Once everyone was settled the men headed out to the range to double check thei shooting, and once Pieter was convinced I could hr a barn at 50 yards we were off in the back of the bakkie

Driving around the farm, we saw all sorts of game, blesbok, warthog, and kudu.

After calling it a day, we headed back to the lodge and were greeted by our gracious hosts, Hiedi, Kelly, Thomas, and his wife Hiedi. The fire was stoked and we had a delicious meal of open flamed, cam raised, sirloin. They weren't Alberta Beef, but damn close!

After a few to many rye and cokes we all decided to call it a night!
image.jpeg

I'm always by myself because my lame buddies are always finding excuses not to go

Yup, I hear yah! I'm usually in the same boat.(n) Everybody wants to go........until it comes time to pony up some money.

Yup, I hear yah! I'm usually in the same boat.(n) Everybody wants to go........until it comes time to pony up some money.
exactly, all gung ho when you propose going and then the excuses start piling up as it gets closer to showtime. I like going by myself as it affords me more freedom, the extra cost is tough being on a fixed income

exactly, all gung ho when you propose going and then the excuses start piling up as it gets closer to showtime. I like going by myself as it affords me more freedom, the extra cost is tough being on a fixed income

I don't necessarily like going alone, but if I waited for other people to decide that they were really ready to go, then I wouldn't have gone on the trips I DID go on.....and some of those trips were really great!

Reactions: lcq
Alright, less drinking more writing!

Day two found us waking up to a prepared breakfast, everyone anxious to get in the field. My PH Jonothan and I were headed to a farm about 20 min a way in search of Impala and Blue Wildebeest. Upon arrival, we quickly parked the bakkie and headed out on foot, not taking long to come across a herd on Wildebeest. The wind decided it did not want to co-operate with us so we ended up having many blown stalks before finally circling around on a bachelor herd of three, using the odd bush to help cover the distance. Before long the sticks came up and cross hairs were aimed for the shoulder the only hold up was a smaller bull crossing in front of the bull I was after. As time seemed to stand still, I finally pulled the trigger, the bull took off with a buck but didn't make it far before he hit the ground. My first Africian animal was in the salt!
image.jpeg

We loaded it up and headed back to the farm where we dropped if off for skinning and then brunch and a nap!

Once rested and ready to go, we headed out to the grounds of the lodge to see if any kudu Bulls were stirring around. Driving around the game was plentiful, and at last light had a chance at a nice ivory tipped bull, but ended up pulling the shot. Mad and disappointed, I resolved that tomorrow is another day.

Getting back to camp, drinks were poured, stomachs were filled, and stories were told. Another beautiful night in Africa!

Go get him tomorrow.

Congrats on your Wildebeest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoniaMedla

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.