Solids for 30-06

If acceptable solids can't be found, the opposite approach might work: a highly frangible bullet that enters clean and disintegrates before exiting. I'm not sure there is a bullet frangible enough for a klipspringer.

They regulated with Winchester 180 grain Accubonds. However they must tumble as they did more damage on exit than I expected. Made about a 3/4" exit on klippy.

Hit bone and bone fragments enlarged the exit hole?

Hit bone and bone fragments enlarged the exit hole?
Maybe but looked more like that long round nose solid tumbled. Gutted a porcupine. The PH thought I had a soft in.

I do think whatever you use shod be slowed down

Just an update to let everyone know how things have progressed.
I was able to get some 180 gn solid copper bullets from CuttingEdge Bullets. Tried various loads and finally settled in on 43.4 gn of Reloader 15. Getting nice groups at 100 yards.
Thanks to all that replied and offered suggestions.

I load Hornady FMJ/BT bullets in my .300 Weatherby for use on the smaller animals.

They group 1-1 1/2" at 100 yds at 3250-3300 fps. I took a box of them to Mozambique last year to use on some of the small antelope that run around Simon's place, but ended up not using them as after I shot my leopard, we concentrated full time on grandpa sable. I did take a practice shot with one when I checked the zero on my rifle, and it hit 2" directly below my 168 gr TTSX hunting load.

I did shoot a civet in South Africa with one a few years ago. It was a 150 yard shot, the bullet penciled through him, and dropped him in his tracks.

I have been told that on some of the smaller plains games (ex: Klipspringer) it is better to use a solid bullet rather than an expandable bullet in order to minimize damage to the cape. But I have been unable to find an factory ammo or reloading bullets that are solids for the 30-06. So often the term "solid" seem to imply no lead content but are still hollow point bullets.
Does anyone know of true solids for a 30-06?

Thanks
Frank

Unless you want a whole body mount you can shoot your Klipspringer just behind the chest with an expanding bullet without ruining the cape. I shot mine with a 250 gr. SST/ML bullet out of a 460 S&W Magnum aiming just behind the chest. The Klipspringer jumped just as I pulled the trigger and the bullet made a big hole through both rear legs; don't say size doesent matter; the klippy died pretty fast and there was no cape damage.

I had a friend that read on a box of Barnes XLC bullets that they were "solid copper" bullets. Thinking they were solids as recommended by the PH, he launched one out of a 340 Weatherby Magmum at a Steenbok hitting it in the shoulder. Yes, there was a fist sized or a little larger hole in the cape.

Barnes used to make Banded Solids in many different calibers but it made the BATFE nervous so they no longer make those in the smaller calibers. Don't worry, a FMJ bullet will do just as well. I shot my Jackel and African Wild Cat with Hornady FMJ RN bullets out of a 375 H&H Magnum with just small exit and entry holes. FMJ spitzer are readily available in .308 caliber though, as others have noted, you won't get the best accuracy from them but it should be adequate for the usual ranges at which they're used.

Unless you want a whole body mount you can shoot your Klipspringer just behind the chest with an expanding bullet without ruining the cape...
This is what I did with my Klipspringer. It was a 310 yard shot, and the 168 grain TTSX from my .300 Weatherby hit about in the center of his body. It made a huge hole in his stomach, but did not harm the cape for a shoulder mount.

Just use the TTSX. It will humanely kill AND leave small holes in the hide. Isn't that what you want?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LauriMolon

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!