Solid Bullets For 7 Millimeter Caliber

Hi Panther Shooter,
I too am a fan of the 7mm Rem Mag and use it for most of my hunting in North America.
I have been using the Prvi Partizan 174 Full Metal Jacket for years with good results on game such as coyote, fox and bobcat here in the U.S. when I was concerned with fur or meat damage and I am sure they would serve you well for your intended purpose.
The only place I have been able to find them is Graf & Sons on line. Here is a link to the product on their website and a screen shot.
Regarding load data, I would just choose an appropriate starting load from a loading manual with your desired powder for a 175 gr 7mm and work up from there. I have tailored my load to be very close to the same point of impact at 100 yards to my chosen soft point.
I hope this helps! :)

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/156

C8A94362-D9D4-4D11-B8E6-DA5E41F2E584.png

Hi Panther Shooter,
I too am a fan of the 7mm Rem Mag and use it for most of my hunting in North America.
I have been using the Prvi Partizan 174 Full Metal Jacket for years with good results on game such as coyote, fox and bobcat here in the U.S. when I was concerned with fur or meat damage and I am sure they would serve you well for your intended purpose.
The only place I have been able to find them is Graf & Sons on line. Here is a link to the product on their website and a screen shot.
Regarding load data, I would just choose an appropriate starting load from a loading manual with your desired powder for a 175 gr 7mm and work up from there. I have tailored my load to be very close to the same point of impact at 100 yards to my chosen soft point.

View attachment 344878
Ida Ram
Thank you ! These conventional full metal jacket bullets look like they just might be the answer to all of my problems. This was most helpful , to me . Are these kinds of bullet profiles referred to , as “ Spitzers “ ?

Last edited:
Hi Panther Shooter,

View attachment 344878
I’ve never recovered a FMJ from the dirt and I’ve only shot groundhogs with them. But are FMJ bullets truly non-expanding? What is difference between a FMJ bullet and a solid? Reason I ask is because I used them on groundhogs with my 223 so as to limit lead exposure to the eagles I watch eat them, but they always seemed to have a significant exit hole. I use Barnes now when I can.

Ida Ram
Thank you ! These conventional full metal jacket bullets look like they just might be the answer to all of my problems. This was most helpful , to me . Are these kinds to bullet profiles referred to , as “ Spitzers “ ?
Yes, Spitzer is an appropriate term for these bullets. Spitzer and Spire Point are both applicable terms generally referring to pointed, aerodynamic bullets as opposed to being of round nose design.

I’ve never recovered a FMJ from the dirt and I’ve only shot groundhogs with them. But are FMJ bullets truly non-expanding? What is difference between a FMJ bullet and a solid? Reason I ask is because I used them on groundhogs with my 223 so as to limit lead exposure to the eagles I watch eat them, but they always seemed to have a significant exit hole. I use Barnes now when I can.
Hit a heavy bone at high velocity and they most definitely will expand. Tissue and light bone they punch right through and leave a 7mm exit wound. Being a copper jacket and lead core they are certainly malleable and subject to deformation. Generally speaking, I believe the terms fmj and solid are used interchangeably.
My buddy shot a coyote with one of these prvi 7mm bullets a couple years ago and hit it through the top of the shoulders and spine and the devastation was quite impressive! I thought he had used a ballistic tip, but no. Most of the time they just pencil right through, so it is important to follow up game carefully as they tend to run a short ways as if not hit, and then fall over dead when shot through the heart or lungs. Needless to say, shot placement is of critical importance, as always.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation on FMJ bullets. I thought about it and actually have recovered 1 FMJ bullet, it just wasn't mine. We recovered this bullet from a Gemsbok in Kaokoland in Namibia, fully healed over, in the upper part of the neck close to the jaw. I can only imagine how far away the poacher must have shot it from to not pass through.
IMG_E4078.JPG

Thanks for the explanation on FMJ bullets. I thought about it and actually have recovered 1 FMJ bullet, it just wasn't mine. We recovered this bullet from a Gemsbok in Kaokoland in Namibia, fully healed over, in the upper part of the neck close to the jaw. I can only imagine how far away the poacher must have shot it from to not pass through.View attachment 344884
I think you must be right. Is that by chance a .311 dia slug? Maybe fired from an AK-47?

Our game scout was actually somewhat mad I touched it. I think he thought there were finger prints on it and they were going to trace it back lol. He took it from me. It was our assumption it came from an AK-47, there are a lot of Namibian police in area carrying AK-47s to protect the rhinos.

Our game scout was actually somewhat mad I touched it. I think he thought there were finger prints on it and they were going to trace it back lol. He took it from me. It was our assumption it came from an AK-47, there are a lot of Namibian police in area carrying AK-47s to protect the rhinos.
:ROFLMAO: That would be quite a feat of forensic detective work, wouldn’t it? Lol!

At high impact velocity even bullets that don't expand, including spire point bullets, can have larger than expected effect.

Oryx are tough but probably not quite that tough. :) Another possibility besides long range low impact velocity, is the bullet had already gone through something else like another animal then hit the animal from which it was later recovered. Yes, likely an AK bullet. If the bore "finger prints" or tool marks were still on the bullet and it hadn't been in the animal too long where body fluid corrosion would have etched the surface, then yes, possible to match the bullet to the rifle. But the odds of finding that rifle?... pretty long I'd say.

I would just stick to the 12ga....

375 Fox
Thank you ! This is exactly what I need . Those internet stories about monolithic brass bullets prematurely wearing out barrel rifling are just stories , yes ?

One thing to pay attention to is that not all of the bullet contacts the rifling. If you look closely at the picture you will see driving bands on the bullet.

It was not my idea but was my reloading equipment. No i did not shoot the first load but I do not remember anything of consequence. I have not looked for military ammo of any kind in year but it should be available. I wish u luck sir, very neat animal
I bought these because I liked the boxes not really thinking about trying to punch a hole through small critters but I may try them out one of these days.

DSC02690 (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg