Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Bangladesh Shooting Federation
Hunted
Bangladesh, India
Hello Everyone,
I was wondering you all of you could advise me on a small matter . This is a Mouse Deer.
9D1C9FE7-D767-4402-8694-7E193DCA18D5.jpeg

We hunt them quite a lot in these parts ( their venison is marvelous) . For years , I have been using my 12 Bore William Wellington Greener Wildfowl Gun and No. 6 cartridges to put them down .
However just for fun , I would like to hunt them with my 7 millimeter Remington Magnum sometimes .
BB3166E9-B386-46FC-A559-19B23FE1CAB6.png

The problem is that Mouse Deer are extremely petite . I have shot a few of them in the past , by using 175 grain Remington Core Lokt soft nose cartridges or hand loaded 175 grain Barnes TSX soft nose bullets . However the meat damage is extensive .
I was wondering if any of you gentlemen here , could recommend me a solid non expanding bullet for the 7 millimeter caliber . I would also be grateful for some load data would , if anyone has any available.

If it it too much trouble , then please do not burden yourselves . I suppose I can just borrow my daughter’s .243 Winchester and try my luck after the Mouse Deer .
With very best wishes,
Panther Shooter

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 6.24.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 6.24.46 PM.png
    784.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 6.24.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 6.24.48 PM.png
    957.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 6.24.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 6.24.49 PM.png
    455.1 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
In my opinion, most likely, but that is a question for someone more experienced to answer

It would be quite a challenge to find a proper solid, full metal jacket bullet to load in your 7mm Remington magnum. Here's what I would do. The load data is from IMR's website -

IMR® TRAIL BOSS® REDUCED LOADS FOR RIFLE AND PISTOL

As noted in the powder description section, Trail Boss was designed primarily for reduced loads using lead bullets in pistol cartridges. However, Trail Boss offers superb versatility in rifle cartridges producing reduced loads using lead or jacketed bullets. These reduced loads make firing such cartridges as the 300 Winchester Magnum or even the 458 Winchester Magnum pure fun!

Listed below we show a few examples of such loads throughout the Reloading Data Center, but the fun doesn't stop there. If you don't see Trail Boss data for your favorite cartridge we have a formula for developing loads for all cartridges and it's simple to follow. This formula may be used in both rifle and pistol applications:
1) Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at this location. Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh. This is your maximum load. Pressures will be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use!
2) Take 70% of this powder charge weight (multiply the maximum load from step 1 by .7), and that is your starting load.
3) Start with this beginning load and work up to your maximum charge, all the while searching for the most accurate reduced load. Once found, the fun begins!

You may find this will make an effective and mild load for your 7mm without the need for a full metal jacket or "solid" bullet. In fact you will likely be able to use any bullet you have on hand. At low velocity meat damage will be minimal. It will require your sights to be adjusted to match the low power load.

As I am not not near as experienced as the vast majority of the users here I have a 1x experience with this. We bought some military surplus 7 mm mauser bullets that no one should ever use. Pulled the bullets and reloaded with imr 4831 as they consistently weighted 140 gr. approximately if I remember correctly. An elderly gentleman wanted to to shoot bobcat and coyote here without wrecking them and the only rifle he owned was a Winchester 70 7mm mag. I hope this is of assistance

Since the photo depicts this deer species about the size of a large jackrabbit, I would use a .22 Magnum cartridge to preserve the meat?

It would be quite a challenge to find a proper solid, full metal jacket bullet to load in your 7mm Remington magnum. Here's what I would do. The load data is from IMR's website -

IMR® TRAIL BOSS® REDUCED LOADS FOR RIFLE AND PISTOL

As noted in the powder description section, Trail Boss was designed primarily for reduced loads using lead bullets in pistol cartridges. However, Trail Boss offers superb versatility in rifle cartridges producing reduced loads using lead or jacketed bullets. These reduced loads make firing such cartridges as the 300 Winchester Magnum or even the 458 Winchester Magnum pure fun!

Listed below we show a few examples of such loads throughout the Reloading Data Center, but the fun doesn't stop there. If you don't see Trail Boss data for your favorite cartridge we have a formula for developing loads for all cartridges and it's simple to follow. This formula may be used in both rifle and pistol applications:
1) Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at this location. Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh. This is your maximum load. Pressures will be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use!
2) Take 70% of this powder charge weight (multiply the maximum load from step 1 by .7), and that is your starting load.
3) Start with this beginning load and work up to your maximum charge, all the while searching for the most accurate reduced load. Once found, the fun begins!

You may find this will make an effective and mild load for your 7mm without the need for a full metal jacket or "solid" bullet. In fact you will likely be able to use any bullet you have on hand. At low velocity meat damage will be minimal. It will require your sights to be adjusted to match the low power load.
Long Walker
I am honored that you took the time to write me such a helpful reply.
It never once occurred to me that I can merely reduce the powder charge for my 175 grain Barnes TSX soft nose cartridges, in order to successfully use them against Mouse Deer. Let us start experimenting from tomorrow ! For the sake of curiosity , I shall be asking my importer tomorrow to order 500 7 millimeter caliber Woodleigh Hydrostatically Stabilized Solid bullets for me , as well .

I agree with @Longwalker downloading is a good option. I shoot 180 grain Speer hot cores out of my 30-06 at 2450 FPS and it does little damage to a raccoon.
Wyatt Smith
Thank you ! I can definitely reduce the powder charge for my 175 grain Barnes TSX soft nose hand loaded cartridges .

Panther shooter, please be cautious! You cannot simply reduce the charge of a "normal" powder for your 7mm magnum and also use the same bullets. You must use a powder that is suitable for reduced charges. It is a very technical subject, but believe me when I say that charges of slow burning powder suitable for normal maximum velocity loads in the 7mm Remington magnum may be very dangerous if the charge is reduced below recommended minimums, which is usually defined as 10% of maximum charge.
The reason is that a small charge of "normal" slow burning magnum rifle powder may not burn in a progressive fashion, but may "detonate" all at once, which will result in very high pressures and may have disastrous consequences for rifle and shooter. For this reason, faster burning powders are selected for reduced loads, and the best ones are powders that are fast burning and occupy a large volume, like Trial Boss.

As I am not not near as experienced as the vast majority of the users here I have a 1x experience with this. We bought some military surplus 7 mm mauser bullets that no one should ever use. Pulled the bullets and reloaded with imr 4831 as they consistently weighted 140 gr. approximately if I remember correctly. An elderly gentleman wanted to to shoot bobcat and coyote here without wrecking them and the only rifle he owned was a Winchester 70 7mm mag. I hope this is of assistance
Tgood1
Thank you ! I found your input most helpful . 7x57 mm Mauser and 7 millimeter Remington Magnum both use the same bullets . Therefore , I do not see why 140 grain spitzer full metal jacket bullets pulled from old military surplus cartridges would not work .

It was not my idea but was my reloading equipment. No i did not shoot the first load but I do not remember anything of consequence. I have not looked for military ammo of any kind in year but it should be available. I wish u luck sir, very neat animal

Since the photo depicts this deer species about the size of a large jackrabbit, I would use a .22 Magnum cartridge to preserve the meat?
Co Elk Hunter
It is worth a try. My wife owns a .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire ( an Austrian ISSC bolt action rifle ) .

Co Elk Hunter
It is worth a try. My wife owns a .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire ( an Austrian ISSC bolt action rifle ) .
That’s what I would use if legal? If not legal and your set on using your 7mm, then follow the advice of experts here on AH. Great forum here on AH, with many knowledgeable hunting/firearm experts!

Co elk hunter is right, if these deer can be taken at shotgun range and a .22 mag is legal it would be ideal in my feeble opinion

Sorry, I cannot help on 7mm. I have used light loads for my 30-06 for many years. I found the loads many years ago in Shooting Times, American Rifleman and Handloader magazines. They all use a shotgun/pistol powder, Unique. They use 100, 110 and 125 grain bullets.
One of my favorite which I carry while deer and elk hunting is a 30 carbine 110 grain FMJ bullet. I would use it for blue grouse or snowshoe hares.
I have used the same load for turkeys and a bobcat called in while turkey hunting.
On all animals the velocity was around 1,900 FPS and caused little meat damage.
All this said, you might do a web search and see if there is a load for your 7mm mag.

I don’t know if you have access to a Trail Boss powder, but I have also downloaded my 243 using a 100 grain bullet and 9.0 grains of Trail Boss. It shoots very well in my Kimber. I believe it was under 1,100 FPS as I recall.

Best of luck finding an accurate load for those tiny critters!

Just found this for 7mm Rem Mag using Trail Boss behind a 140 grain bullet on the Hodgdon website. May help you.
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Hmm...search for 7mm Rem Mag, then Trail Boss powder. If this doesn’t work, let me know and I’ll pm it to you.

Co elk hunter is right, if these deer can be taken at shotgun range and a .22 mag is legal it would be ideal in my feeble opinion
Panther Shooter,
Just remember, there are NO “feeble” opinions or “stupid “ questions asked of on this forum. Well, more or less?
If there were, I would take the prize! Ha! Ha! We’re all here to learn about what we do not know or are curious about from the many experts here on AH.
CEH

Panther Shooter,
Just remember, there are NO “feeble” opinions or “stupid “ questions asked of on this forum. Well, more or less?
If there were, I would take the prize! Ha! Ha! We’re all here to learn about what we do not know or are curious about from the many experts here on AH.
CEH
+1

Sorry, I cannot help on 7mm. I have used light loads for my 30-06 for many years. I found the loads many years ago in Shooting Times, American Rifleman and Handloader magazines. They all use a shotgun/pistol powder, Unique. They use 100, 110 and 125 grain bullets.
One of my favorite which I carry while deer and elk hunting is a 30 carbine 110 grain FMJ bullet. I would use it for blue grouse or snowshoe hares.
I have used the same load for turkeys and a bobcat called in while turkey hunting.
On all animals the velocity was around 1,900 FPS and caused little meat damage.
All this said, you might do a web search and see if there is a load for your 7mm mag.

I don’t know if you have access to a Trail Boss powder, but I have also downloaded my 243 using a 100 grain bullet and 9.0 grains of Trail Boss. It shoots very well in my Kimber. I believe it was under 1,100 FPS as I recall.

Best of luck finding an accurate load for those tiny critters!

Just found this for 7mm Rem Mag using Trail Boss behind a 140 grain bullet on the Hodgdon website. May help you.
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Hmm...search for 7mm Rem Mag, then Trail Boss powder. If this doesn’t work, let me know and I’ll pm it to you.
Ridge Walker
I am honored that you have taken so much time to give me the proper advice .
Yes , I can order Trail Boss propellant through my importer . The load which you recommended sounds marvelous . Let me commence experimenting from tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg