Soft to Solid ratio for upcoming trip

On the flight home. Official round count is as follows:

Sighting in: 4 solids
Impala: 1 soft
Warthog: 1 soft
Zebra: 1 soft
Jackal: 1 .22 mag (borrowed from PH)
Impala: 1 .22 mag.
Ele cow: 1 solid
Genet attempt: 3 .22 mag and still no genets were harmed.
Baboon: 1 .375 borrowed from Ph
Wildebeest: 2 solids. 1 .375
Duiker: 1 .22 mag
Genet redemption: 1 .22 mag.

Total round count:

Solids: 7
Softs: 3
Borrowed .22: 7
Borrowed .375 2.
 
I’m heading out to Zim soon. 18 days in Save Valley. Buffalo, tuskless, and maybe some plains game are on the menu for me. Collectively we have 3 buff and 3 elephant on quota. My buddy was planning on hunting a leopard and then was also offered a great last minute deal on a lion and lioness. I doubt we get it all done in the time we have. If so it will make for one heck of a story.

I’m am taking my .500/.416 double. I put 60 rounds on my paperwork. I was regretting not putting more, but I’m going to be close on weight.


So the question for the learned gentleman on this forum, what ratio of softs to solids should I take?

30 of each? 40/20 heavy on the solids? I feel like solids are more versatile, so a few extras won’t hurt.

My buddy is taking my .375 that I can shoot if need be. I think there are also some other rifles in camp also, but I can’t imagine 60 rounds not being enough.
Solids are for elephant only or the chance opportunity on a duiker or grysbuck. If I were in your shoes I'd take 30 softs and 10 solids. 3 boxes will likely get you close to 11lbs I would think.
Have an awesome safari!
 
Congrats on your successes. Now we are looking forward to reading your hunt reports and pictures.
 
Solids... Last hunt I asked my PH and he said, "Bring a few... might need them if we're shooting in heavy brush." Never used them. I did get the Barnes 400 gr. Meplat Banded Solids to shoot to the same point as my 400 gr. Swift A-Frames.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,287
Messages
1,570,671
Members
168,929
Latest member
onschuhedamen
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top