Soft to Solid ratio for upcoming trip

sureshot375

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I’m heading out to Zim soon. 18 days in Save Valley. Buffalo, tuskless, and maybe some plains game are on the menu for me. Collectively we have 3 buff and 3 elephant on quota. My buddy was planning on hunting a leopard and then was also offered a great last minute deal on a lion and lioness. I doubt we get it all done in the time we have. If so it will make for one heck of a story.

I’m am taking my .500/.416 double. I put 60 rounds on my paperwork. I was regretting not putting more, but I’m going to be close on weight.

So the question for the learned gentleman on this forum, what ratio of softs to solids should I take?

30 of each? 40/20 heavy on the solids? I feel like solids are more versatile, so a few extras won’t hurt.

My buddy is taking my .375 that I can shoot if need be. I think there are also some other rifles in camp also, but I can’t imagine 60 rounds not being enough.

First world problems. If my figurin' is correct, the airlines would have allowed 'bout 120 rounds...seems Zim only allows 100...but that is not the question! How many rounds to verify the sights? Which rifle is shooting the elephants? 30/30? Interested in the other, more experienced opinions! Have fun!

How many of the three elephants do you plan to hunt with your double? I think it kind of comes down to that, if you are using a “hard” soft like a A-frame. Some here go softs only for buffalo. I still like a soft followed by solids for buffalo. Assuming your double doesn’t have a scope, the “sighting in” is as much about your PH seeing how you shoot it as anything. Having said all, that, I’d likely go 40/20, softs to solids.

With 500/416 it is not the number but the weight limit on airlines. 60 is about the right number for 11lbs. All solid for elephant, all softs for lion. Soft for cape in a herd solid thereafter. 30/30 looks good but you could go 40/20 in favor of softs. My 2cents. Sounds awesome. Have fun.

How many of the three elephants do you plan to hunt with your double? I think it kind of comes down to that, if you are using a “hard” soft like a A-frame. Some here go softs only for buffalo. I still like a soft followed by solids for buffalo. Assuming your double doesn’t have a scope, the “sighting in” is as much about your PH seeing how you shoot it as anything. Having said all, that, I’d likely go 40/20, softs to solids.

I only plan to hunt one elephant and one buffalo, but historically my friend and I have backed each other up. Depending on how well they shoot, I may or may not get in on their animals.

No scope so it should just be shooting a round or two while being watched judgmentally.

I have historically liked the soft/ solid combo while hunting anything other than elephants. I always like having at least one solid in the tube in elephant country.

First have a fantastic time!

As you said you primary animals are elephants and buffalo. Those are all solids with the exception of the first shot on a Buffalo.

Lion and leopard would be softs, if you get the opportunity.

If this was my hunt I’d favor the solids because of the primary animals.

Everything can be hunted with a solid if needed. Not true for softs.

Please share what you can when you get back.

With 500/416 it is not the number but the weight limit on airlines. 60 is about the right number for 11lbs. All solid for elephant, all softs for lion. Soft for cape in a herd solid thereafter. 30/30 looks good but you could go 40/20 in favor of softs. My 2cents. Sounds awesome. Have fun.

You are correct. 60 rounds is right on the money weight wise. It will be a really close with the locks.

I'd be packing 40 softs, 20 solids. Then I'd coerce/contribute to your friend with the .375 going to max weight allowable with 30 solids and the remainder softs.

What bullet combos are you guys bringing?

I'd be packing 40 softs, 20 solids. Then I'd coerce/contribute to your friend with the .375 going to max weight allowable with 30 solids and the remainder softs.

What bullet combos are you guys bringing?

I’m shooting Hornady DGS and DGX in then.500/.416.

Sledgehammer solids and Swift A Frames for the .375.

I am taking my 500/416 to moz next year. I am planning on taking 25 CEB solids and 35 Aframes.

I would go 20 on the solids.

36 soft points and 24 solids. You can’t go wrong with this ratio.

I’m heading out to Zim soon. 18 days in Save Valley. Buffalo, tuskless, and maybe some plains game are on the menu for me. Collectively we have 3 buff and 3 elephant on quota. My buddy was planning on hunting a leopard and then was also offered a great last minute deal on a lion and lioness. I doubt we get it all done in the time we have. If so it will make for one heck of a story.

I’m am taking my .500/.416 double. I put 60 rounds on my paperwork. I was regretting not putting more, but I’m going to be close on weight.

So the question for the learned gentleman on this forum, what ratio of softs to solids should I take?

30 of each? 40/20 heavy on the solids? I feel like solids are more versatile, so a few extras won’t hurt.

My buddy is taking my .375 that I can shoot if need be. I think there are also some other rifles in camp also, but I can’t imagine 60 rounds not being enough.
I was just thinking about posting the same question. I too regret putting 60 rounds on my paperwork and was trying to figure out a ratio. Realized the tiny stuff required solids too (plan to chase a few). Thanks for posting!

I was just thinking about posting the same question. I too regret putting 60 rounds on my paperwork and was trying to figure out a ratio. Realized the tiny stuff required solids too (plan to chase a few). Thanks for posting!

I can only speak for myself, have shot Sable and Blesbok with my 375h&h with AFrames. I would not bother with solids for anything tinny. The bullet is hard enough it doesn't up on the the little guys. It is not a high-speed hollow point that is going to destroy the back side. Both Sable and Blesbok had the same size hole in and out. That was my experience.

I would go 40/20 (expanding/solid)

The expanding bullets won't expand much on the small stuff.

I used a solid to "minimize" damage on a baboon. I hit his humerus, so I might as well have killed him with a hand grenade.

Last edited:
Still hunting. Haven’t ran out of ammo yet.

Warthog, zebra, impala, and cow ele down so far. Been chasing buff, but it’s going to be tough to close the deal. Lots of eland around. I’ve also seen a few kudu I probably should put in the salt.

Internet is spotty at best. I’ll have to post something decent when I get back.

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing some pics
1688616491049.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atax300

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.