Snag with NF FPS

Hi Tanner,

Ruger changes the freebore of their 7x57 some 15 or more years ago, from the long original European standard to a much shorter one.
In your picture, if I understand well, the top one with the OAL Gauge shows where the driving bands contact the lands?
If it is, it means the chamber has the former long freebore. And you would have good space into the case with the bullet not going too much inside.
Anyway, I will load the cartridge leaving 1mm, roughly 0.4" of jump from that contact point to the lands.
I use the 7 mm Mauser since 1972 in original Mauser rifles with the CIP standard chambers.

Good luck!

CF
 
You bet Tanner, a lot of Staball powders of differing burn rates out there today, I'm certain you will check, but make sure you get the 6.5 Staball for this application.

It is slower burning than all the 4350's, even slower than RL-17, is a very compact and dense ball powder, absolutely perfect fuel for the 7mm Mauser and long heavy/heavier bullets.

I extrapolated these loads long before seeing any Hodgdon online load data, plus, in modern bolt action and falling block actioned arms 60K PSI or even a little hotter loads are perfectly safe.

I have some test brass with five firings on them, the primer pockets remain tight.
 
Hi Tanner,

Ruger changes the freebore of their 7x57 some 15 or more years ago, from the long original European standard to a much shorter one.
In your picture, if I understand well, the top one with the OAL Gauge shows where the driving bands contact the lands?
If it is, it means the chamber has the former long freebore. And you would have good space into the case with the bullet not going too much inside.
Anyway, I will load the cartridge leaving 1mm, roughly 0.4" of jump from that contact point to the lands.
I use the 7 mm Mauser since 1972 in original Mauser rifles with the CIP standard chambers.

Good luck!

CF
That is correct that’s where the driving bands reach the lands. I bought the gun new last year, can’t say the been very accurate though I have a few kills with it. I’ve debated sending it back to Ruger over the throat being extremely uneven and the locking tab on the lever binding up. Seems like I should bite the bullet and do it.
 
Just leave the contact point of the bullet with 0.4" free travel to the lands and see what happens.

Good luck!

CF
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,308
Messages
1,572,366
Members
169,543
Latest member
BarneyBroc
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top