Small game

Duckhunter3000

AH senior member
Joined
May 9, 2025
Messages
94
Reaction score
53
Member of
Ducks unlimited
Is it possible to hunt small game in Africa? Kind of like rabbits and squirrels, I could imagine it’s different over there but I don’t think it’s mentioned to often. I know about the bird hunting that happens. Just wondering if small game is possible?
 
I don’t know about hunting them like we hunt squirrels and rabbits, but lots of hunters collect them while on other hunts: hyrax, springhare, hare, mongoose, etc.
 
I don’t know about hunting them like we hunt squirrels and rabbits, but lots of hunters collect them while on other hunts: hyrax, springhare, hare, mongoose, etc.
Oh, well how are springhare? Are they the same as rabbits or different?
 
Springhare, like some other small game, is often taken at night with a spotlight.

I don’t think springhare are actually hares. But I’m not an expert on the species.
 
I’ve just seen a picture of them, it’s like someone tall a tall rabbit and a squirrel and mix them together. Cool animal.
 
Esteemed fellow AH member @Hogpatrol and I did a couple nights of springhare hunting this past spring in the Northern Cape, RSA. They make me think of giant gerbils. Very mobile, constantly hopping around. 17 Fireball is a very effective cartridge. Also used a ranch rifle in .222 Remington. Got to see many other night critters like Aardwolf, porcupines, Cape foxes, a Genet and plenty of Steenbok. Springhare eyes glow incredibly green for significant distances, easy to pick out with a spotlight. @Hogpatrol had the perfect rifle with a Trijicon scope that helped immensely.
IMG-20250331-WA0000.jpg
 
Esteemed fellow AH member @Hogpatrol and I did a couple nights of springhare hunting this past spring in the Northern Cape, RSA. They make me think of giant gerbils. Very mobile, constantly hopping around. 17 Fireball is a very effective cartridge. Also used a ranch rifle in .222 Remington. Got to see many other night critters like Aardwolf, porcupines, Cape foxes, a Genet and plenty of Steenbok. Springhare eyes glow incredibly green for significant distances, easy to pick out with a spotlight.
View attachment 706290
Sounds like a cool hunt, are they edible, and can you also hunt them during the day? I’ve never been anywhere on the African continent so this my first time hearing about the small game there. Heard a lot and asked many questions on big game but not too much on the smaller stuff.
 
@Duckhunter3000 these are edible but I didn't ask how they're prepared. And didn't ask to try them. Seemingly strictly nocturnal and they reside in burrows during the daytime. It was interesting to see how many of the smaller animals were never seen during daylight areas but very evident in the evening hours, at least the first couple hours of nightfall. Hoped to see an aardvark but no luck.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,305
Messages
1,572,299
Members
169,520
Latest member
VerlaButle
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top