Small Bore Double Rifles

More moderately priced but not less effective,.... O/U in .30-06/.375H&H

6446568.885154717.jpg

For sale at http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=6446568

HWL

Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 2.22.57 PM.png

Hwl,
That German made 8x57 Sxs action must have come from the same factory as Merkel and Simson! :) Typical German, strong, highly functional, and good looking.

My daughter's 6,5x57R SxS, with Zeiss 1,5-6x42 on claw mount, mady by Sodia, Ferlach, Austria.
DSC00212.JPG
DSC00214.JPG

...and mom´s O/U 7x65R with Zeiss 1,5-6x36 on claw mount, made by Heym, Germany
DSC00215.JPG
DSC00216.JPG

Hwl. That German made 8x57 Sxs action must have come from the same factory as Merkel and Simson! :)

...think you are right,... again, a Simson seems to be the base....

HWL

I saw a Purdey s x s in .240 in an auction catalogue (from the early '90's) I think. (I have a copy of at home) I will check when I get back home from my current stint in the Middle East. From memory it was designed for "Park Deer". Back then the estimated price would have been considered cheap by today's standards!

A man after my own heart! I am in love with the .303 British too...despite not owning a gun in the cartridge :(

You are describing exactly what I am looking for in a double rifle, which means SxS to me. Everyone who is making small bore doubles are doing so with ridiculously short barrels. I am also looking for 26" barrels. That length is plenty handy in the woods without sacrificing round performance and accuracy.

If not the .303, I am fine with the 7x57 and the idea of a .30-30 sure is interesting, especially because I have a surplus of .30-30 right now. I saw some a double online in .357 Maximum that was built on a .410 shotgun frame, but it was in real rough shape so I had to pass. Can you imagine going after jackrabbits with that thing! I swear I also saw one once in .221 Fireball but I cannot for the life of me find another example of it.

If you really really really want a .303 British SxS rifle, I am sure Perugini & Visini will build you own, but it might cost an arm and a leg and another leg. I remember seeing a .458 Lott double they built that was a work of art and I wanted it so badly but you all talked me out of it! Damn you!

Check this out. I had my eye on it last year. Luckily for me it sold to someone else!!!
(I am referring to the Bland- see link) (NB I am in no way connected to this gentleman's business etc)

https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/category/guns/by-type/english-double-rifles-for-sale/

Screenshot (356).png

Last edited by a moderator:
Saul . A kindred spirit amongst kindred spirits (if you see what I mean)

The saving grace for me was that in the UK one has to have a "variation" to ones Firearms Certificate before buying a rifle. This can take ages (ie months and months). I have to say though somewhat frustrating, this little piece of UK law has saved me a fortune over the years and also most likely saved many a marital argument!!!

ATB

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a BSW Shul sxs in 318 WR ejector brilliant for Kudu and soon European boar when I get to Czech .....250gr 2400fps Velo Dog missed two rifles a .22rf sxs and a 303 Brit SxS ....due to lack of cash .....for months hated those vulgar bolt guns I owned for preventing me getting the doubles .....

F131631F-214D-40D2-8EF5-8CCB42BDC811.jpeg
7BDA63E0-0166-40B0-8DC1-FE88E6ADD833.jpeg
CBC57795-2D84-4CBB-9372-899BEFB24B4F.jpeg
Although I own a Krieghoff double in 9,3x74R my darling is an almost 100-years old Ferlach (Hambrusch) Cape gun in 9,3x72R. Zero recoil and very good for roe deer but also for smallish boar and red deer. A short while ago I shot with it a highly unusual roe deer.

Bushpig. Are you a southpaw? If so even a better find for you. If not how does she work right handed? The reason I ask is with that cheek-piece I can imagine the cast-off for a right handed shooter must me quite severe.
(Interesting Buck. Did you keep the head?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross