Enjoy
Rob

Singled Tusked & Tuskless Elephants - W.R.Foran #1.png
Singled Tusked & Tuskless Elephants - W.R.Foran #2.png
Singled Tusked & Tuskless Elephants - W.R.Foran #3.png
Singled Tusked & Tuskless Elephants - W.R.Foran #4.png
Singled Tusked & Tuskless Elephants - W.R.Foran #5.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if modern science has discovered the answer to the “riddle”?

That is interesting. I have a little understanding of the different causes for tusk differences. The tusks are after all a modified tooth and elephants dont have orthodontists ! These examples are the hillbilly bubbas of the elephant world !

1/ Tuskless-this is usually genetic. It is more common in cows. Zimbabwe does have a fair number, enough to issue specific licences and you can see that it is often passed mother to daughter. Even though they have been targeted for removal for many years, the genes still persist. Bulls are less common but again genetic.

2/ 4 tusks- That is pretty amazing and those examples show that it is likely to be genetic. those are fully formed tusks, not a tusk split or damaged. I have read of damaged tusks growing in a sort of bundle-obviously damaged early in development.

3/ The deformed tusks are surely some damage or disease of the tusk/root or bone. Disease can also prevent the growth of the tusk completely.

Here's a photo of a three-tusked elephant. From the pages of "Uganda Safari" by Bran Herne:

20200914_201010.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasovWoogy

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg