Sighting in disaster

So do this. Close your eyes. Then put the rifle up and get a good cheek weld on the stock. Open eyes.

Have that good sight picture? Yes and you have the right height. No and you don't have the right height.

Most factory rifles are set up for iron sites (even those without, go figure) and typically you need the lowest ring you can get, and then a pad to raise the comb. I don't have a rifle that doesn't require a pad for me, but you might.

I don't buy into the "feels right" train of thought. Super high rings and almost zero cheek weld may "feel right," I'd humbly argue that it isn't, and so would a lot of professionals who know way more than I ever will.

The open sights are hard for me to use I'm a large guy with no neck and a head that would score top ten and I have to scrunch down to use them. So that is probably why it feel better high.
The way I checked was to look at target 100 yards away pull gun up an cross hairs were always within 12" of center sometimes closer.

Try the eyes closed thing just to make sure you're getting that good cheek weld. I'd be curious to hear if you can open your eyes and see through scope. You can obviously do that test at home even.

Size of your head and neck certainly matter and even with pads my rifles end up being raised differently depending on rifle. Some are closer to right for me than others.

Bad cheek weld = stout smack in same cheek

I tried eyes closed thing with low and high rings low required way more adjustments than high. Cheek weld runs about even with upper jaw. A

I don't think you are making a mistake with the aluminum Talley one piece rings. I don't believe they are pure aluminum but an alloy that approximates the strength of mild steel. I had them on my push feed Win. Model 70 .375 H&H. I Shot hundreds of rounds of 300 and 270 grain full house loads without so much as a screw loose. The problem is with aluminum Weaver rails. They peen and damage your ring bases. Steel weaver bases and rings would solve the problem but by the time you got into those, the Talleys would have been paid for. The only problem is if you want to take the scope off, you have take it out of the rings, then unscrew the rings from the rifle.. It is long and tedious and not something I would want to do in the field. At least with ordinary rings, if you have a quarter in your pocket you can get the scope off... but the talleys are good. If anything fails it will be the scope and not the rings. Best of luck!

Well I happen to be a machinist in the aircraft industry 70 series alum is pretty tough not as tough as steel but the Talley rings look robust.

Just going by first hand personal experience but the lightweights would not hold zero on my 375. I've got Talleys on every rifle I own and am a huge fan but it would be steel Talleys or nothing for me on a 375. Hopefully you have better luck.

Well I happen to be a machinist in the aircraft industry 70 series alum is pretty tough not as tough as steel but the Talley rings look robust.
Right... Tool grade and structual steels are very tough and strong, This is off the top of my head but, IIRC it will approximate mild steel (A36) which has a ultimate tensile strength of about 400-500 MPa. Whereas 70 series aluminium alloy (if it is made correctly) is around 500-550 (about 80,000psi.) I can't give exact numbers because I don't have my reference charts but I think my memory is pretty close. :). Point is... Its pretty tough stuff for the application, and the cross section Talley designed it for and they will absolutely hold up to more than a .375 H&H can dish out... unless it is in a 2.5lb rifle.

My rifle weights in at 9# and the original mounts I put on were very light and I should have known better than that. I was in a hurry to do some testing and just didn't think. If the Talleys lightweights don't work there is only 1 place they will fail that is the screw holes and I can make and press in steel incerts that will fix that.

They never failed on me or showed any sign they were going to fail, it's just that zero would shift an inch or so after every 20 or so rounds.

Well if they get me through this year the Talley QD s will be going on so I can take advantage of open sights too.

image.jpeg
The new mounts made it and are on the rifle now will not shoot it until Friday.

Time to shoot! Does your wife love it as much as mine does when I out rifles on the dining room table?(y)

Yikes, not much room for eye relief adjustment with that scope.

The scope has 4 inches eye relief. And passes closed eye test mentioned earlier in the thread.

I wanted a scope with long eye relief and this one had it I didn't start sweeting until I mounted it but it is perfect for me and that is not usually my luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaymondNie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.