Shotgun gunsmith recommendations

Joined
Apr 16, 2018
Messages
1,099
Reaction score
4,925
Location
San Diego, USA
Member of
NRA, NWTF
I’m hoping someone can provide a recommendation for a gunsmith in the US who specializes in the restoration of older over/under shotguns.

The specific shotgun is a 30s era Browning Superposed. It is in pretty good, functional, shape for the age and how it was stored for many years, but it’s in need of some cosmetic touching up to the exterior metal and the stock and I’d like to have the interior components inspected and anything replaced that needs it (springs, screws, etc).

This is a family heirloom and I’d like have it brought back to good working order for passing it down to my own children.
 
Art’s is considered by many to be “the shop” for Browning’s.

Midwest has a very good rep as well.
 
Are the wood and metal issues significant rust and broken wood or are they just as you say, cosmetic? If it’s simply wear on a family gun that poses no safety issue, think about what you’re considering- wiping away all physical evidence of that family history to make it look pretty. By all means, take care of any safety or mechanical issue but perhaps give some thought to letting the scars remain to bear witness to the gun’s time with your family.
 
Are the wood and metal issues significant rust and broken wood or are they just as you say, cosmetic? If it’s simply wear on a family gun that poses no safety issue, think about what you’re considering- wiping away all physical evidence of that family history to make it look pretty. By all means, take care of any safety or mechanical issue but perhaps give some thought to letting the scars remain to bear witness to the gun’s time with your family.
I used to think that way but I learned that English gunmakers were often sent in guns by their owners for periodic freshening up.

From a practical standpoint, bluing prevents rust, checkering improves grip, and refinishing a stock protects the wood.

It’s sort of a “ship of Theseus” situation. I don’t believe that getting it back into top form will make it a different gun. Some of the wear and tear is from honest use and some is from sitting in a closet in an un air conditioned house in the Ozarks for a few decades.
 
I used to think that way but I learned that English gunmakers were often sent in guns by their owners for periodic freshening up.

From a practical standpoint, bluing prevents rust, checkering improves grip, and refinishing a stock protects the wood.

It’s sort of a “ship of Theseus” situation. I don’t believe that getting it back into top form will make it a different gun. Some of the wear and tear is from honest use and some is from sitting in a closet in an un air conditioned house in the Ozarks for a few decades.
A restored gun is not a refinished one. I would absolutely restore it.
 
Arts Gun Shop specializes in that.
Midwest Gun Works is also good with old Brownings
 
I’m hoping someone can provide a recommendation for a gunsmith in the US who specializes in the restoration of older over/under shotguns.

The specific shotgun is a 30s era Browning Superposed. It is in pretty good, functional, shape for the age and how it was stored for many years, but it’s in need of some cosmetic touching up to the exterior metal and the stock and I’d like to have the interior components inspected and anything replaced that needs it (springs, screws, etc).

This is a family heirloom and I’d like have it brought back to good working order for passing it down to my own children.

Dan Morgan Fine Firearms Restoration, Woodstock, Vermont. He's excellent and affordable if he'll take on the job. He prefers British doubles (he's a world expert on Dicksons of Edinburgh) but he certainly has the talent to do your Belgian Browning.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,254
Messages
1,570,834
Members
169,185
Latest member
themozartlab
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top