AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Virginia Bowhunters Association
Good day my fellow hunters. I hope this post finds you well.

I have decided to start practicing/shooting my 2D and 3D targets with my quiver attached as this can be more difficult than shooting without the quiver due to a right sided over countered balance.

In addition I have also been taking into account my shot placement in relation to the AH bowhunter shot placement guide.

Here are the results of my first shot placement accuracy drill in preparation for my hunt in Namibia this fall..........

IMG_2698.JPG

IMG_2756.JPG

Gemsbok a bit high at 60 yards. Possibly hitting upper lung area

IMG_2700.JPG

IMG_2748.JPG

Very dark Warthog .....high and left. Possibly hitting frontal lung area or perhaps breaking a shoulder at 50 yds

IMG_2702.JPG

IMG_2750.JPG

Trans-species poor man's whitetail Wildebeest. Hit left at 39 yards. Possibly hitting front lung area

IMG_2705.JPG

IMG_2751.JPG

Zebra, happy with this shot at 40 yards. Possibly a frontal heart shot.

IMG_2708.JPG

IMG_2753.JPG

Kudu kill at 30 yards. Very happy with this shot as his backstraps would be on my plate as well as good company's plates within the near future

My plan is to practice this at the end of each day when my archery muscles are exhausted from my weight training routine as well as shooting my daily four groups of five at 70 yards every 2 hours.

Any advice, questions, and/or jokes are highly appreciated and recommended.

Thank you for reading this post,

DL

Practice makes perfect sir! Keep it up!

Are you planning spot and stalk hunt ?
Personally I do not shoot any game past 25 yards with a bow, how ever I do practice out to 45 yards and makes a 20 yard shot easier. Forrest

My only advice is to be sure of where the front legs are. I practiced out to 60 yards and was very comfortable before my trip, but with my gemsbok, I shot too far forward.

Part of the problem was that prior to drawing my bow, the gemsbok had both front legs parallel standing broadside. I stepped behind one of the walls in the blind to draw, and when I did this, the gemsbok stepped forward with the far leg. This placed his close leg at a rearward angle, and I didn't realize he did this when I stepped into the shoot window. I used the far leg to place the shot. The arrow went exactly where I was aiming.

I recovered the animal, but I won't make that mistake again.

Are you planning spot and stalk hunt ?
Personally I do not shoot any game past 25 yards with a bow, how ever I do practice out to 45 yards and makes a 20 yard shot easier. Forrest

I do plan to spot and stalk as well as from a hide. My guide advises me to be accurate out to 65 meters.

My only advice is to be sure of where the front legs are. I practiced out to 60 yards and was very comfortable before my trip, but with my gemsbok, I shot too far forward.

Part of the problem was that prior to drawing my bow, the gemsbok had both front legs parallel standing broadside. I stepped behind one of the walls in the blind to draw, and when I did this, the gemsbok stepped forward with the far leg. This placed his close leg at a rearward angle, and I didn't realize he did this when I stepped into the shoot window. I used the far leg to place the shot. The arrow went exactly where I was aiming.

I recovered the animal, but I won't make that mistake again.

Sometimes these things happen. I like to be ready for anything possible. Thanks for the heads up

Thanks, but having hunted north America so much, I didn't think I would have that problem. The colors on the animals being so different threw me off. Good luck.

Thanks, but having hunted north America so much, I didn't think I would have that problem. The colors on the animals being so different threw me off. Good luck.

I have noticed the same issue when practicing with my African game targets. I suppose that it's another good reason to practice shooting the game which you plan to hunt

Practice , Patience and Placement are the keys to success in archery . Shoot animals only at ranges you are comfortable with . Archery is all about how close , not how far you can shoot . Like kathy says practice out 45 yards makes those 20 yard shots easy ...... I too would not shoot at an animal beyond 25 or 30 yards . Good luck and play safe !
Glen

Practice , Patience and Placement are the keys to success in archery . Shoot animals only at ranges you are comfortable with . Archery is all about how close , not how far you can shoot . Like kathy says practice out 45 yards makes those 20 yard shots easy ...... I too would not shoot at an animal beyond 25 or 30 yards . Good luck and play safe !
Glen

I certainly do agree. This is a very ethical method of ensuring a good lethal hit. This is why some push themselves and practice at 100 yards, so that a 50 yard shot is a cakewalk. It's all about what you know you are accurate with.

I can agree with your PH be accurate out to 65 yards, But if you draw blood you have just bought that animal. if you want to shoot that far get a rifle .
Get a good book and study the atomy of the animals you want to hunt.
I aim for a exit on the animal ,pay very close attention to the way they are standing. Forrest

Just keep at it!

If you haven't already done it, try some shots on not so level ground. I don't use a bow anymore but I practice with the crossbow in a 20 foot treestand shooting down at the targets.

My plan is to practice this at the end of each day when my archery muscles are exhausted from my weight training routine as well as shooting my daily four groups of five at 70 yards every 2 hours.

This is an excellent concept.(y)(y)(y)

Anybody can be good the first play of the game. How good are you on the 125th play.

Just remember no matter how proficient you are at longer ranges, the animal can move or wind drift or gust can turn things poor in a hurry.

If you haven't already done it, try some shots on not so level ground. I don't use a bow anymore but I practice with the crossbow in a 20 foot treestand shooting down at the targets.

Good idea. I typically do this in preparation for whitetail season. Thanks

Just remember no matter how proficient you are at longer ranges, the animal can move or wind drift or gust can turn things poor in a hurry.

Couldn't agree with you more. Always be prepared for anything.

I don't plan to launch an arrow at a skiddish bouncing Warthog at 70 yards. But if my guide advises me to be accurate out to those ranges then I plan to do so and then some. If I feel comfortable taking game beyond 35 yards with my bow then I will do so. Yes, anything could happen and I've thought about this. I've had whitetail jump the string at 15 yards and wild boar spin on me when my arrow released at 50 yards. I appreciate everyone's advice. Looking forward to sharing my hunting experience on here with you guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamiroMcGu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg