Alchemist

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NSA , SA Wingshooters
I have been shooting from sticks for many years. All being the traditional African sticks or the Primos 3 legged ones.
On my recent trip I was using Accurate Concept shootings sticks. Looked weird initially but the best platform I ever shot from. Worthwhile checking out. See attached pics

IMG_2675.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used these the last two times to Africa. Never again! Very difficult to reposition even if the animal moves slightly. You have to pick the whole contraption up with gun in the cradle and reset it. That means a lot of movement that can tip off game, especially if you've pushed it up once and it's already nervous. With traditional tripod sticks, you readjust the gun by simply moving yourself. In many situations I can shoot better offhand than tied up in those Accurate Concept things.

I think the idea probably works well for inexperienced (or no experience) plains game hunters who have had little or no time at the range and get overly excited at the sight of quarry. But for anyone who has experience hunting, these will be a handicap. In a very hard wind the front-and-back sticks may provide more stability but I think I am just as stable off a tripod with PH leaning against my shoulder. Am NOT shooting off those things when going after buffalo! Also, though I'm not a carry the gun by its barrel over the shoulder kinda guy, when the final stalk is on, I detach my rifle sling and give it to the tracker to stick in his daypack. Slings are a hassle on the sticks, especially this style.

I believe that a problem with most shooters is that they are unaccustomed to shooting from a standing position. They have no idea of how to use a sling, but that problem is usually the sling. Most slings are not designed to be used as a shooting aide, but only to carry the rifle.

Even on my last safari my PH wanted me to take most of my shots standing up in stead of sitting, even if the terrine allowed me to sit down on my rear and use the shooting sticks as a aide to steady my rifle. But then his shooting sticks were taped together to the point that using them in a sitting position was next to impossible.

I have used these the last two times to Africa. Never again! Very difficult to reposition even if the animal moves slightly. You have to pick the whole contraption up with gun in the cradle and reset it. That means a lot of movement that can tip off game, especially if you've pushed it up once and it's already nervous. With traditional tripod sticks, you readjust the gun by simply moving yourself. In many situations I can shoot better offhand than tied up in those Accurate Concept things.

I think the idea probably works well for inexperienced (or no experience) plains game hunters who have had little or no time at the range and get overly excited at the sight of quarry. But for anyone who has experience hunting, these will be a handicap. In a very hard wind the front-and-back sticks may provide more stability but I think I am just as stable off a tripod with PH leaning against my shoulder. Am NOT shooting off those things when going after buffalo! Also, though I'm not a carry the gun by its barrel over the shoulder kinda guy, when the final stalk is on, I detach my rifle sling and give it to the tracker to stick in his daypack. Slings are a hassle on the sticks, especially this style.
Totally agree with you as this was my experience as well until Blaser came out with their new sticks that now have the front hand swivel that works awesome completely eliminating the need to reposition sticks. I am taking them to Africa in August.

It bothers me when I read these posts. People go from tripod to quad sticks but make no attempt to learn to shoot with quad sticks. This model I personally would not use because of the V in the front. Any adjustments left and right force spring tension into the rifle and make an inaccurate shot. However four stable sticks and viper flex have a flat front allowing easy left and right movement. A sling is very valuable on quad sticks. Using sling allows you to hold the front of the sticks instead of forearm of rifle. This lets you easily pivot for major movements instead of picking entire sticks up and use your thumb for left and right movements. You have to make an effort to learn to shoot from them. There is no difference in speed once you learn only more accurate and ethical shots. There is certain ground a tripod is better suited for however, Sandy ground and thin grass like most Southern Africa is great, hayfields in eastern USA are great, rocky areas are not well suited for quad sticks.

I have been shooting from sticks for many years. All being the traditional African sticks or the Primos 3 legged ones.
On my recent trip I was using Accurate Concept shootings sticks. Looked weird initially but the best platform I ever shot from. Worthwhile checking out. See attached pics

View attachment 528333
Try 4 stable sticks or viper flex you’ll be even more impressed. The V in front is a limiter on these sticks.

It bothers me when I read these posts. People go from tripod to quad sticks but make no attempt to learn to shoot with quad sticks. This model I personally would not use because of the V in the front. Any adjustments left and right force spring tension into the rifle and make an inaccurate shot. However four stable sticks and viper flex have a flat front allowing easy left and right movement. A sling is very valuable on quad sticks. Using sling allows you to hold the front of the sticks instead of forearm of rifle. This lets you easily pivot for major movements instead of picking entire sticks up and use your thumb for left and right movements. You have to make an effort to learn to shoot from them. There is no difference in speed once you learn only more accurate and ethical shots. There is certain ground a tripod is better suited for however, Sandy ground and thin grass like most Southern Africa is great, hayfields in eastern USA are great, rocky areas are not well suited for quad sticks.
I have read your post three times and I still can't figure out how a sling is of any assistance at all when the gun is on quad sticks. How does it make your hands any freer to grasp the the sticks or forearm? If sticks are used correctly, the shooter grasps BOTH the sticks AND forearm (unless maybe when shooting a cannon at dangerous game ... and I certainly would not want my flexibility limited front and back in that situation ... not any more than neccessary). For me, a sling just gets in the way of mounting the sticks efficiently. I have to try to hang onto the gun AND sticks while getting the sling out of the way so it's not laying between the forearm and forward crotch of sticks. I don't have three hands. Admittedly, tripod sticks are no easier which is why I try to detach the sling in advance of shooting.

A U-shaped or flat bottom crotch may allow for more lateral movement at the front of quad stickd, but not a lot. I hunt mostly rocky broken ground in South Africa. Quad sticks are a pain to set up in that terrain, especially on a side hill, and a bigger pain to readjust when the gun is on them. A regular tripod can also be a pain to set up in rocky terrain but they require horsing around only one anchor point, not two.

Again, for the novice who's rarely if ever fired a gun let alone pursued live game, quad sticks may be a godsend. Those folks are likely to be very unsteady. They are also less likely to be hunting rugged terrain. Quad sticks may improve the odds of a good hit for someone whose inexperience stacks the odds against them. For those of us who are more experienced, quad sticks are "too much of a good thing." Overkill.

I have read your post three times and I still can't figure out how a sling is of any assistance at all when the gun is on quad sticks. How does it make your hands any freer to grasp the the sticks or forearm? If sticks are used correctly, the shooter grasps BOTH the sticks AND forearm (unless maybe when shooting a cannon at dangerous game ... and I certainly would not want my flexibility limited front and back in that situation ... not any more than neccessary). For me, a sling just gets in the way of mounting the sticks efficiently. I have to try to hang onto the gun AND sticks while getting the sling out of the way so it's not laying between the forearm and forward crotch of sticks. I don't have three hands. Admittedly, tripod sticks are no easier which is why I try to detach the sling in advance of shooting.

A U-shaped or flat bottom crotch may allow for more lateral movement at the front of quad stickd, but not a lot. I hunt mostly rocky broken ground in South Africa. Quad sticks are a pain to set up in that terrain, especially on a side hill, and a bigger pain to readjust when the gun is on them. A regular tripod can also be a pain to set up in rocky terrain but they require horsing around only one anchor point, not two.

Again, for the novice who's rarely if ever fired a gun let alone pursued live game, quad sticks may be a godsend. Those folks are likely to be very unsteady. They are also less likely to be hunting rugged terrain. Quad sticks may improve the odds of a good hit for someone whose inexperience stacks the odds against them. For those of us who are more experienced, quad sticks are "too much of a good thing." Overkill.

Simply disagree.

Like any implement designed to aid in shooting, it will not work in all terrain, nor for all kinds of hunting.

And all of them require some training at home/the range.

4-legged sticks are ideal if longer shots need to be taken, across a valley, from the top of hill into the valley below, across a large clearing. I’d say more appropriate for plains game. I would however not recommend one’s that have only a v up front. No lateral movement possible.

I’ve used 4StableSticks with a lot of success on plains game. Almost like a portable bench rest.

For hunting dangerous game in dense vegetation at close distance, this is obviously not the best.

For hunting in Europe, alone, these 4legged sticks are a great help to get that roedeer 150m away across a field. One just needs practice in setting them up. But handier than three legs.

For hunting in Africa, depending on the quarry and terrain, either offhand, offhand with sling, two-legs, three-legs, four-legs or why not, five-legs will be most appropriate.

Just train with them. I did many hundreds of dry fire repetitions at home setting them up, getting on them, dry fire and reloading.

Look at the photo next to my name and you can see how I shoot from quad sticks. It’s a 375 and shot at hippo in that photo. Quad sticks require a different style than tripod. If you want to be fast. You focus on getting the back of the rifle in first then the front falls into place. You don’t put the rifle on front and back at same time like I often see. Holding the sling and front two sticks allows control of rifle and ability to pivot sticks for greater movement as well as using your thumb for smaller left and right movement. With practice they can be very fast. Quad sticks eliminate any left and right movement only up and down creating a much more ethical shot than a tripod. It’s not a question of experience or inexperience. I’ve been on 11 safaris in 5 countries. If you’re happy with tripod continue using it, but using quad sticks require a new shooting style and practice and can be a significant improvement over a tripod. I will admit there are situations better suited to a tripod though.

Last edited:
I don't believe there are many (if any) inexperienced or novice hunters and/or shooters on this board, including me. Having said that, I am not a fan of the quad sticks and I recently sold mine. When I saw all the praise of them on this and other boards as well as from PH's, we decided to get a set. I bought them thinking Mama would be more comfortable and stable shooting off of them. I practiced with them using everything from .22 to 450/400. Out to 200 yards, I found them slower and no more stable than my bogpod with wide v rest. When hunting alone, they are not user friendly. Every time I took them to the lease, I ended up shooting offhand or using an improvised rest. I gave them a fair shot and put in a lot of hours practicing with them before I ever pursued game.

Also, they won't stand alone so you can hang your kit from them. :LOL:

I took Mama to the range and kept my opinions to myself. She did not care for them, even with me setting them up for her.

There are a lot of things I am not good at. Using the quad sticks is one of them. :D There are also a lot of things I am very good at because practice and experience build confidence and expertise. Use what works best for you and as always............

Safe Shooting

In 2018 I took my Viperflex sticks with me to Namibia. The way we worked was PH, tracker and myself with the PH carrying the sticks and I my rifle.
he complained they were too difficult to setup quickly and far more complicated than the tripod he had previously been using.
Went back in 2019 and guess what ? The tripod is gone and it’s all Quad sticks. @Ontario Hunter , I’ll be hunting with 3 guys from your province next month back in Namibia. Throwing in a visit to Etosha and a visit to Henties Bay for some beach casting before we head off to meet up with or PH somewhere east of Windhoek.
I’ll report on how these guys get on with them. I’ll admit that they do take practice to get used to them. I wouldn’t leave them behind now if going out stalking (deer) :oops:

Interesting dialog. I have been hunting since 1964 but my first experience with sticks was my first trip to Africa in 2019. For me North American big game was stalking, usually tracking in snow and in very rugged country. Shooting sticks, even of the walking stick variety, are impractical. I need both hands free to maintain my balance, carry my gun, navigate through brush, etc. The first morning hunting in Africa, after climbing a steep rocky ridge, we intercepted three bachelor blesbuck rams traversing between three large herds. PH threw up the tripod and, though fairly winded, I immediately knocked over the largest one. Loaded it up and not a mile down the track three respectable impala bachelors were spotted. A bunch of warthogs underfoot busted that stalk but two of the rams stopped 280 m on the next hill. Setting up the sticks in that thick stuff wasn't easy but they stood for us and I toppled the one with thickest horns. Not an hour later a herd of blue wildebeest walked over a ridge 700 yards away. After nearly being busted by a fleeing giraffe and a strangely curious huge eland bull, we got the drop on the herd wildebeest bull standing off from the rest. For whatever reason it was fixated on the eland that was still fixated on us. Up went the sticks. I waited till it turned to look our direction and PH decided it was a shooter. One shot from the 30-06 and its hooves were pointing to heaven. "Great shooting, Pat!" "Really? That animal was just a hundred meters away. I'd have to be end stage Parkinsons to mess up those shots off this contraption." Before we broke for lunch I shot a warthog but not off the sticks. Had to take that one quick offhand. My first day with shooting sticks left quite an impression. But it's been less impressive since the lodge switched to quad sticks. They are too rigid and complicated for my taste. Almost cost me a kudu last August. But I must take most of the blame. It was a rare close shot less than sixty yards (very rare for kudu) and with scope on 3x I thought I was shooting over the brush in front of the bull when actually I was shooting through the brush in front of me. Had I not been straddled front and back in that contraption, I probably would have simply leaned over or stood up higher for a clearer shot. There was no chance of messing with the sticks, quad or otherwise. Getting discombobulated from quads was just too risky. That bull was too close and clearly knew something was up. The bullet creased his neck and blew out the offside shoulder. Didn't get the poor bugger till the next day. That's as close as I've come to losing an animal.

I have read all the post and there is a lot of merit in everyones opinion. I have been hunting in Africa since I was a young boy of 6. This is 54 years ago. In all terrain from mountains to open flat plains and the desert.
I will not take a quad stick into thick bush. It is stupid. I will also not take a single support on a kalahari hunt. It is stupid. This is horses for courses. I will easly take this stick in to open plains and dessert hunting. No problem.
It is simply a new type of stick for me and it worked brilliantly. I could wait until the animal got up and shoot a headshot exactly where I aimed.
Would I face a buffalo with this, off course not. But I will also not take a headshot at a Gemsbok 250 meters away from a single / double or triple legged stick.

View attachment 528333
Yes these quad sticks are a game changer. I have the Blaser sticks

View attachment 528333
In addition to practicing off sticks, having used them many times before, given I am hunting elephant I am spending extra time practicing off hand. I have found the Ching type sling works great for this. Without it I just can’t shoot off hand well. With it no problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BouncyBros

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you