Shooting Sticks

adam12

AH senior member
Reaction score
Have any of you any experience with Bipod shooting sticks? While we're at it, what about a monopod rest? I'm wondering what, if anything is truly sacrificed by making things simpler.

You will sacrifice sturdiness from one to the other.

A mono-pod is sturdier than just standing.

A bi-pod is sturdier than standing and a mono-pod.

A tri-pod is sturdier than standing, mono-pod, and a bi-pod.

I can shoot just fine off hand standing out to 100+ yards but if there is any kind of rest I'll use it. It just makes common sense and the sturdier the better.

Jim nailed it. Always work to improve your shooting position, always.

So at least in Africa with a PH to carry them and set them up in don't see any advantage to mono or bipod. And just me personally, I'm not lugging any stick around in NA while hunting by myself, unless it is a specific set up in a blind perhaps.

Take your hand and face the palm down toward the table.
Extend all four fingers and your thumb toward the table.
Press your fingers and thumb down lightly and see how well you can move your hand laterally.

Now lift one finger at a time from the table and repeat process.
Notice any change in stability?

In my humble opinion the monopods are only good if you have something else to brace against (or for a camera). I have all three versions and would much rather take a shot from a knee than a monopod (quicker and miles more stable). The bipods are decent but the tripod is by far the best choice.

Agree with JimP. Everything less than a tripod is a compromise.

And while I'm at it, some of the best tripods are made of simple, but sturdy, bamboo, lashed together with pieces of inner tube. Too many of the sticks we get in North America, even those sold as 'African" aren't solid enough to really hold up a reasonable size calibre, let alone a big boy, without flexing.

Keep it simple, and keep it sturdy.

Apologies for highjacking this thread, i think my question falls in line with whats being asked.

Whats the thought on using weapon mounted bipods e.g. harris 21C models, I'm new to hunting and busy finding out what works and what doesnt, I hunt with a Howa 1500 .375 and my hunting buddy which is my wife (awesome!!!!) hunts with a Howa 1500 30-06.

Shooting sticks more all terrain friendly where use of bipods are limited to terrain?
Should one move directly to the use of shooting sticks or be more able to use any of above depending on terrain?

The issue with a bipod, to me, is getting in a position to use them. Now for a long shot across a canyon they can be great. Or for hippo or croc hunting. I used a harris bipod for my hippo and it made it one of the easiest shots I've ever had.

You can also use a bipod to steady yourself even further by flipping down the weak hand leg (so left leg for a right hand person) and using your hand to "clamp" it to the shooting stick, a tree branch, or the front of a blind.

Apologies for highjacking this thread, i think my question falls in line with whats being asked.

Whats the thought on using weapon mounted bipods e.g. harris 21C models, I'm new to hunting and busy finding out what works and what doesnt, I hunt with a Howa 1500 .375 and my hunting buddy which is my wife (awesome!!!!) hunts with a Howa 1500 30-06.

Shooting sticks more all terrain friendly where use of bipods are limited to terrain?
Should one move directly to the use of shooting sticks or be more able to use any of above depending on terrain?
I've used attached bipods, and found them to work very well, where the terrain allows for it. You will often find that the grass is too long to make good use of these types of bipods, or there terrain is otherwise inhospitable to bipods, but the upside is that you can still use shooting sticks if the bipods can't be used. I personally haven't found that having bipods on the rifle negatively impacts me when I'm using shooting sticks.

Does anyone know where one can purchase a set of (3) shooting sticks for a reasonable price? All the one I've seen have been 4 -500 bucks, which seems rather steep for sticks..

I find that bipods and monopods are only useful in prone, sitting, or kneeling positions. For me they are only a slight improvement in the offhand position. I'd rather use something like a tree as a rest instead. However a tripod is a different story and it can be as stable if not more that sitting or kneeling for me. Still not as good as going prone but you don't get many opportunities to use that while hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg