Shooting Accidents...

I would think that if there was a malfunction that occurred, that could be considered an accident. Most times this is not the case. It's usually human error, be it from lack of knowledge, lack of intelligence, or lack of giving a shit. I agree with Bruce and others that, as these are very preventable, they are not truly "accidents". You may have noticed that when I did use that word in my last post in this thread it was in quotation marks. That was for good reason.

the very heading of this thread gives a clue to human nature.
we tend to look for an escape clause when something goes wrong.
the truth of the matter is that there is no such thing as a shooting accident.
in fact there is only shooting negligence, and that must be called for what it is.
if every firearms handler had this mental approach, there would never be a negative incident.
we are weak in this area, and this weakness does not help a victim.
bruce.
People talk of 'near miss'. No such thing, just near hits.

So, is a near miss a hit?
And a near hit a miss?
A miss is a miss and a hit is a hit. If it gets pretty close it is a near hit. But how can you have pretty close to a miss - that implies it was a hit near the edge. It is still a hit!

A miss is a miss and a hit is a hit. If it gets pretty close it is a near hit. But how can you have pretty close to a miss - that implies it was a hit near the edge. It is still a hit!
This reminds me of a joke Ronnie Corbett used to tell: a man goes into a bar and he say's to the barman "I'll have a whiskey without". So the barman say's "Without what?" And the man say's " What haven't you got?"

I would think that if there was a malfunction that occurred, that could be considered an accident. Most times this is not the case. It's usually human error, be it from lack of knowledge, lack of intelligence, or lack of giving a shit. I agree with Bruce and others that, as these are very preventable, they are not truly "accidents". You may have noticed that when I did use that word in my last post in this thread it was in quotation marks. That was for good reason.
I agree to a point, but a malfunction with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction is still just a malfunction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.