Set Triggers

My deer rifle (Lefty Heym SR20 in 300 WM) has a set trigger. I love it
 
My kipplauf has set triggers, if I understand it correctly it is called french set triggers when there is two triggers like on the kipplauf. The rear one is the trigger that is used to activate the set trigger function in the front trigger. Regardless of what it is called the result is a very crisp trigger pull.

However it does look a little odd with two triggers on a one barrel break action rifle, the rear one is also a bit smaller then the other.

View attachment 731825
I think the Germans would give you an argument on the “French trigger” name.
 
My 2 Mauser sporters front triggers are of the military 2 stage type and break at 4 1/2 on the 7 mm and a shade over 5 on the 8mm. I actually prefer a 3 1/2 to 5 lbs on my still hunting rifles as I often have to take snap or jump shots. The heavier trigger gives me time to get on the game before firing.
Different strokes for different folks. I don't touch the trigger on a rifle until target is acquired but I am not "snap" shooting. A fast crossing bird with a shotgun is different.
 
My kipplauf has set triggers, if I understand it correctly it is called french set triggers when there is two triggers like on the kipplauf. The rear one is the trigger that is used to activate the set trigger function in the front trigger. Regardless of what it is called the result is a very crisp trigger pull.

However it does look a little odd with two triggers on a one barrel break action rifle, the rear one is also a bit smaller then the other.

View attachment 731825
It is the other way around: single set triggers are "Französischer Stecher":
FranzoesischerStecher.jpg

Double set triggers would be "Deutscher Stecher":
DeutscherStecher.jpg

(Images taken from the respective Wikipedia article)
 
As others have mentioned, my Cz 404 came with a single set. I never liked it and recently dropped it off with the gunsmith for several upgrades including a new trigger.
 
As others have mentioned, my Cz 404 came with a single set. I never liked it and recently dropped it off with the gunsmith for several upgrades including a new trigger.
You didn’t need a new trigger, unless you just wanted one, the single set trigger can be adjusted to not have set , just a standard crisp pull.
Gumpy
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,310
Messages
1,572,461
Members
169,567
Latest member
MarvinTeje
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top