second lion question 405 win or 500 BPE

AZDAVE

AH ambassador
Joined
Jul 26, 2013
Messages
5,931
Reaction score
13,252
Media
215
Hunting reports
Africa
10
Hunted
South Africa,Namibia, Mozambique, Alaska,lower 48
We just when I have my hunting rifles sorted out for next years Cape Buff (450NE) and Lion (405WIN) regulation loads worked up with the bullets I want to use along comes a horse trade. Now have a 500BPE James Woodward jones underlever hammer gun:-) It is very plain and some nimrod used trueoil on the buttstock, so it needs restoring. The rifle is solid and shoot 440gr woodleigh soft points (1850fps) like a dream. The 405 is pictured in my other post. So what would you take and why?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4011.JPG
    IMG_4011.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 252
  • IMG_4015.JPG
    IMG_4015.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 252
405 Win is plenty for the lion. I would use the 500 BPE as my second choice.
 
i vote the 500 BPE but thats because im a sucker for hammered doubles.

-matt
 
What load are you using in the .500?
 
440 gr woodleigh, 57gr of H4198, FED 215, 7gr of dacron filler, Hornaday 500NE cases. This load regulates very well and is running 1875-1890FPS. The rifle fits me like I was measured for it. Plan on working up some paper patched loads but just haven't had time.
 
Both will work fine, take the one you really want to use.
 
You know what I like!
A22A7527-CD6A-4A76-BE1B-622E129AA3B4.jpeg

The 300 grain loads should do it, but your .405 can also shoot 400 grain Weldcores very effectively.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
440 gr woodleigh, 57gr of H4198, FED 215, 7gr of dacron filler, Hornaday 500NE cases. This load regulates very well and is running 1875-1890FPS. The rifle fits me like I was measured for it. Plan on working up some paper patched loads but just haven't had time.
Very close to what I load for my 500 express. (1850 fps.)
Also have a 1895 in the .405 Win, but still working on the load.
Happy Holidays
 
Depending on where your hunt is going to be and the opinions of your PH, your double load might not qualify for its energy level.
Even at 1900 fps its running at just over 3500 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle.
It will of course kill a buffalo, but you might want to know what the country requires and what your PH thinks.
 
Depending on where your hunt is going to be and the opinions of your PH, your double load might not qualify for its energy level.
Even at 1900 fps its running at just over 3500 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle.
It will of course kill a buffalo, but you might want to know what the country requires and what your PH thinks.
The OP posted his question 7 1/2 years ago.

That said, the 500 BPE was created as a red stag and wild boar caliber. With the 440 gr bullet it barely generates 3500 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. At the time, dangerous game would have been hunted with bore caliber rifles. I would never pick it over a .405 or .450 for lion.
 
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
LOL, I didnt even look at the date of the OP.
 
I think it’s cool when old posts are brought back up… but they are all new to me.

As an American I would have to choose the Winchester.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,355
Messages
1,573,969
Members
169,879
Latest member
RoscoeGars
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top