Scopes for Plains Game

Elkeater

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
So I’m sitting here stressing about my scope. The rifle I’m taking to Africa next year is a very reliable Ruger .300 win mag. I’ve killed a lot of animals with this gun. Everything from small whitetails to mule deer to elk. I bought the gun when I was 16 and it’s always been topped with a Nikon prostaff 3-9x40 that I bought at the same time. It’s always been 100% reliable and never lost zero and I have not been easy on it. So my question to you all is would you take that scope to Africa? Or would you pony up for something like a leupold or trijicon? Just kinda looking for advice.

Stop stressing. Absolutely no need to buy a new scope, Elkeater. If you’d take it elk hunting then it will do just fine in Africa. An added bonus is that you are already used to that rig. Go hunt!

Now, if I only had rifles and optics I needed, I wouldn’t have needed another safe! ☺️

I’m complete agreement with everyone else…

Nothing wrong with that scope at all… a 3-9x will do great in most South African scenarios.. and if the one you have is reliable and you have confidence in it combo’d with that particular rifle… that’s even better…

I am of the viewpoint that 9x is plenty for hunting at ethical ranges on non-wounded game. I've done a lot of hunting with the Prostaff 3-9. I have some more expensive and brighter scopes now but all my Nikons still track and hold zero - some after 20 years of use. I agree with the others that if you have the money to buy a new scope use it on some additional trophy fees! Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for all the advice. I really shouldn’t worry about it. I think I just see so much about this scope or that scope and no one really talks about the Nikons and it gets me thinking of that I “need” a “better” scope. I believe I’ll talk everyone’s advice and save that $1000 and shoot another critter. Honestly a zebra comes to mind.

So I’m sitting here stressing about my scope. The rifle I’m taking to Africa next year is a very reliable Ruger .300 win mag. I’ve killed a lot of animals with this gun. Everything from small whitetails to mule deer to elk. I bought the gun when I was 16 and it’s always been topped with a Nikon prostaff 3-9x40 that I bought at the same time. It’s always been 100% reliable and never lost zero and I have not been easy on it. So my question to you all is would you take that scope to Africa? Or would you pony up for something like a leupold or trijicon? Just kinda looking for advice.
You are over thinking things.

If you can kill a mule deer and elk with that gun/scope you can kill any plains game in Africa with it

+1 on the advice to use the same setup that works for you now. Use the extra money for more hunting days or that extra animal that you know you will end up taking.

I use a 2.5x8 leupold scope on a rem sps 700 in 7mm08 for most of my deer shooting, but the other year I shoot two prong horns. one at 280 yards and one at 310 yards prone with a bipod, both dead with one shot each. 120gr noslers at 3000 fps.

My favorite hunting rifle is a 270wsm It had a nikon scope for a long time that I never had to mess with. Then the bug bit me. I ended up putting a fancy high dollar scope on it and sold the Nikon. I regret it every time I go shooting. So in my opinion LEAVE IT ALONE.

I recommend a good 34mm tubed 4.5-30 or 5-50 Trijicon Ten Mile in case you run in to one of those long 100 yard shots on springhares at night.
e-laugh.gif

Seriously, what everyone else posted. Save your money. Take what's proven and go hunt.

Although it has served you well I believe the time of the 3x9 has passed. At least for me. I would take a look at the Leupold VX5 3-15 with illuminated reticle (best value IMO). You have the best caliber now to complete the package. You will be well served with better glass for your great adventure that lies ahead.

There is absolutely no reason to replace the scope on that rifle based on what I've been told to expect. I don't know where you will be hunting but our PH for RSA in May said most shots will be 50-100 yds. A 3-9x mag is perfect for that. Unless you plan on stretching it 200-300 yds or more I wouldn't bother. Not to mention you are a) comfortable with the platform and b) you've had success with it.

I actually have that exact scope on a Ruger 10/99 .44 mag carbine. For the money I think it's a great scope. It's been absolutely deadly on hogs up to 100 yds. I have a 300WM with a VX5HD 3-15 44mm which should do well for long shots but otherwise, it's overkill for what I'll mostly see.

Although it has served you well I believe the time of the 3x9 has passed. At least for me. I would take a look at the Leupold VX5 3-15 with illuminated reticle (best value IMO). You have the best caliber now to complete the package. You will be well served with better glass for your great adventure that lies ahead.
Respectfully I have to disagree. I totally understand better glass, but I see absolutely no need for anything above 9x for a big game rifle. The 3x9 (as far as magnification) is still nearly perfect for the job. The VX5 2-10 would have my interest.
OP I would just go hunting.

Thanks for all the advice. I really shouldn’t worry about it. I think I just see so much about this scope or that scope and no one really talks about the Nikons and it gets me thinking of that I “need” a “better” scope. I believe I’ll talk everyone’s advice and save that $1000 and shoot another critter. Honestly a zebra comes to mind.
You will hear less and less about Nikon scope over time because they stopped making rifle scopes. Damned shame, sine I thought they were a good value.

Plus one on the zebra!

+1 on the advice most users have given you so far. A 3x9 is pretty much an industry standard and Nikon is (was) as respectable a brand as you'll find. Unless you want to buy a new scope just to have another one, I'd save the money and take an extra animal or two!

As long as your scope is clear, reliable as far as regulation, and keeps its zero, you're as good as gold.

My go-to scope is a 30 year old Zeiss Diatal x6 fixed power, and I've never found it wanting. It is idiot-proof, compact (because of no need for batteries) and it's all I need. By "planned obsolescence" standards, it's a dinosaur, but I've never found a reason to get another one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AudraQ7266

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you