Scope mount for Merkel 140AE

Brett Becker

AH senior member
Joined
Jul 26, 2013
Messages
50
Reaction score
21
Member of
SCI, Australian Deer Association, SSAA
Hunted
Australia, Namibia
Hey fellas, looking to fit a Leupold VX3 1.5-5 X 20 to my Merkel 140 AE. Looking for a quick release mount that doesn't require fitting by a gunsmith. Any ideas?
 
Don't believe there is such a thing for your rifle. Traditionally, one would install claw bases on a fine double like that. They aren't cheap, but neither is that rifle. I saw one where the rib had been buggered up to try and accept Talley rings. The rib, of course, is not designed for that sort of thing, and it had been both badly damaged and loosened by excessive tightening of the rings and recoil forces leveraging the scope against it. It was a "cheap" scoping solution which would push two grand to repair properly.
 
Thanks Red Leg. The rifle already has ,what looks to me , a piece machined into the rib for what looks to be for a swing away mount ? This came as standard from the factory. I can get genuine mounts from the distributor here in Australia but they supposibly require fitting by a gunsmith and they want $595.00 for the mount and fitting plus postage etc etc. I can't really see what "fitting" is required. I was hoping someone here had done the same thing so they could tell me if this is correct or whether I was being ripped off
 
That could well be. That sounds like the way to go to me. You have a very valuable rifle and a quality scope. 600 bucks seems a steal to insure it shoots commensurately.
 
Had the same on my Merkel K96 drilling. I shot coyotes with the 243 barrel at around 75 yds with open sights while pheasant hunting. Surprised them.
As I recall, I was told close to the same for mounts. Never purchased them and sold the Merkel regretfully:(
$600 sounds pretty good for something you need very reliable on DG to me.
 
$600 solution is a steal as @Red Leg said. Run, don't walk, to grab that option. Anything under $2000 for proper double rifle mounts is great.

I know it sounds like big money (and it is) but it's serious business installing a reliable system to a Double.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,383
Messages
1,574,668
Members
170,092
Latest member
DongCrackn
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top